Zero turns

Jmort1754

WKR
Long story short the mother in law is buying a house with a large yard and has a bunch of neighbors (5) who are all about same size 2-4 acres.

They have "conned" me into doing some lawn care.

Plus she's buying

Budget 5k

Anyone have any input ?

I Am Gunz

Lil-Rokslider
I currently have a Husqvarna PZ60 and I couldn’t be more happy. I’ve had it for about 10 years now and have had no issues. Just have stayed up to date on general maintenance/wear and tear and she’s been bulletproof. Like Grumman said though, probably double that budget to make it worth it.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
I tried. She won't. I even showed her the dfference in build quality and she's set.

I bought a Scag Liberty 52" in 2018 for around $5k. It's a homeowner model (not part of their commercial line) but still well built and uses the venerable Kawasaki engine. I'm sure they're more expensive now but might be worth taking a look. I mowed 5 acres of fairly rough ground with my Liberty for 5 years and it held up well. I did add an aftermarket suspension seat to make the ride smoother.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
John deer for me. Used w 20 hours for 2k. Look for deals on marketplace. They all do the same thing but any zero turn is awesome !

CCooper

WKR
How nice do they want to keep the grass or lawn, and how much time do you want to spend doing it? Blow clippings on the ground or bag?

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
How nice do they want to keep the grass or lawn, and how much time do you want to spend doing it? Blow clippings on the ground or bag?
Either bag or mulch I'd prefer to just use a mulching set up

As for the rest they want it to look good but no reason for Augusta quality.

Snowhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
Look for the reputable dealers in your area. Toro, John Deere, and Kubota. At least you can get service should you need it. I am personally a Toro/Exmark Chevy/gmc same but different fan. Give them a look you won’t regret it.

Tod osier

WKR
Long story short the mother in law is buying a house with a large yard and has a bunch of neighbors (5) who are all about same size 2-4 acres.

They have "conned" me into doing some lawn care.

Plus she's buying

Budget 5k

Anyone have any input ?

Never let someone who isn't going to use the tool pick the tool and by her setting the price you are doing that. Mother or not (or maybe especially mother).

Go by a few different dealers (especially the ones that actually service their mowers) & tell them your situation. People trade them in just like tractors or vehicles. I bought my commercial grade Toro for about half price with a couple hundred hours on it. The previous owner just wanted to upgrade to a new one. They even replaced a bad coil a couple weeks after I bought it for free.
If it were me I'd even chip in a little bit to get a good commercial grade if I'm having to mow 10-20 acres. And definitely get the good seat!

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
I'm not afraid of used and I'm willing to throw 5-6 k in if I need be.

Raptor Hustler. Most folks in my neighborhood use them, and recommended it to me. It's 5 years old, and I'm very happy with it. Only had to replace the battery last year. I had the choice of a Kawasaki engine, or a Kohler. I chose the Kawasaki. I use synthetic oil in the engine, change it once a season.