Zero range for inline muzzleloader

I just got a CVA Kodiak pro with a vortex 3-9 with the bdc reticle. Any advice on zero range to use the hash marks for longer ranges. I want to be able to shoot 50yds-150yds
Thanks!

OP
Muleyobsession1
Thanks for your help. Another question, I see most guys are using bh209 powder, I can’t find it where I live for cheaper than 90$ for 8oz. I have used pyrodex sr in the past. If my muzzy is a magnum would 100grains by volume be a safe charge? Im thinking I will try the no excuses 420gr

Thanks for your help. Another question, I see most guys are using bh209 powder, I can’t find it where I live for cheaper than 90$ for 8oz. I have used pyrodex sr in the past. If my muzzy is a magnum would 100grains by volume be a safe charge? Im thinking I will try the no excuses 420gr
I wouldn’t mess with Pyrodex. Find some Triple seven.

Wildone

FNG
Bite the bullet on the bh209 for right now it’s worth it. if and when it comes back down you can load up. In my accura I run 75 gr weighed charges with a hornady 300gr 50 cal SST sighted at 100. This load will clover leaf in my gun. Last three deer have been taken north of 165 yds. Dialing the dope has been spot on with the Nikon calculator and hash marks. Sounds like a school bus hitting a watermelon on impact.

Powder valley has bh 209 for 70 right now.

I also backordered a swfa 3-9 for my cva while they're on sale, that way I can range and dial solutions just like my other rifles. I'm not a fan of bdc, especially in a second focal plane scope.

I was having issues finding it as well. I ended up finding it at Walmart, 2 different stores, for $55. Might be worth checking out.

Antares

WKR
Thought I'd just bump this thread instead of starting a new one.

I'm going to me zeroing my CVA Accura MR-X this weekend. It's .50 cal and I'm shooting 290 gr Bore Drivers over two pellets of White Hots. I'm trying a Holosun 510c this year. I was shooting the factory supplied Williams peep sights last year.

I think 125-150 yards is probably the max range for me and this setup at this point.

I think last year I zeroed 2" high at 50 yards... or maybe it was right on at 75 yards... I don't really remember (it was my first mz season).

So what range should I zero at? 100 yards?

Thanks!

I zero my inline at 100. Flintlock at 75.

Incredibly, I'm still waiting on the swfa 3-9 I mentioned ordering 2 posts above. During the wait, I removed the rail and converted to the Williams fool proof peep and globe set up

Antares

WKR
I zero my inline at 100. Flintlock at 75.

Incredibly, I'm still waiting on the swfa 3-9 I mentioned ordering 2 posts above. During the wait, I removed the rail and converted to the Williams fool proof peep and globe set up

Thanks! I'd love to be able to dial for elevation, but I can't use a magnified optic in AK. I'm trying the red dot this year to see if it works better with my glasses/ageing eyes than the open sights.

Thought I'd just bump this thread instead of starting a new one.

I'm going to me zeroing my CVA Accura MR-X this weekend. It's .50 cal and I'm shooting 290 gr Bore Drivers over two pellets of White Hots. I'm trying a Holosun 510c this year. I was shooting the factory supplied Williams peep sights last year.

I think 125-150 yards is probably the max range for me and this setup at this point.

I think last year I zeroed 2" high at 50 yards... or maybe it was right on at 75 yards... I don't really remember (it was my first mz season).

So what range should I zero at? 100 yards?

Thanks!
I’d zero it at 100. But I don’t think it really matters that much if your max range is 125-150.

Yoder

WKR
I just shot mine the other day. 100 gr of Triple7 with 250gr ballistic tip bullet. I was zeroed at 50 and hit about 2 inches low at 100. I'm not shooting any farther than that, so I don't know what the drop is at 150.

wyosam

WKR
Thanks! I'd love to be able to dial for elevation, but I can't use a magnified optic in AK. I'm trying the red dot this year to see if it works better with my glasses/ageing eyes than the open sights.

Funny, I was just thinking yesterday about calling F&G to clarify legality of that exact sight. Picked one up for my slug gun and thought it might be great on the ML. I need to do my field day next month. I’ve used the ML a bit on game over the years, but haven’t gotten around to getting the cert since I moved here a few years ago. Dusted the thing off a while back and learned that I just don’t see through irons well anymore (hence the prism on the slug gun).

So that’s a legal sight for AK? Doubt I’ll switch for the class, but good to know for application season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk