Zeiss SFL 8x30 Review— a compact with full size performance?

Blandry

WKR
I picked up a set of 10x42 zeiss terra ed's on sale for $350 last week. I did some comparisons with my little Swarovski 10x25's and the little swaros are so much better it's crazy. They have nearly the same fov that I typically use them for and are actually brighter in a package that's 1/2 the size/weight.

I could see the lines in the wood on the home 100 yards down the street with the swaros. I couldn't see the lines with the Zeiss and that was at daybreak this morning. The little 25's were brighter. I know that's probably to be expected, but it's just what I expect now lol. These little 10x25's are the best money I've ever spent. I take them everywhere with me.

I have some 'beater' $200 steiners that I keep in the jeep and I'd bet they're even better than the terras.

I'm just going to return these and shell out another $1k for good glass. Like everyone says, once you've used good glass, you become a snob :). I'm a huge Zeiss fan (run their scopes on all my rifles) and will check out their higher end binos.

Last edited:
Great review Robby!!!

Already owning a 10x40 SFL and a large stable of other glass I really can’t justify an 8x30 SFL (my 8x32FL might get jealous).

Oh! Wait a minute. They would make a great gift for the Mrs. — hmmm 🤔

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Great review Robby!!!

Already owning a 10x40 SFL and a large stable of other glass I really can’t justify an 8x30 SFL (my 8x32FL might get jealous).

Oh! Wait a minute. They would make a great gift for the Mrs. — hmmm 🤔
oh those little binocs would be perfect for her. And you can hold over her head the fact that your wife gets Alpha glass lol

Nevetssf

FNG
I compared these SFL 8x30’s to Swarovski 8x32 NL pure and could scarcely tell the difference optically except for the noticeably larger FOV of the NL pure. The SFL’s are smaller, lighter, and almost half the price of the NL pures. I was very pleasantly surprised and am seriously considering polishing off a bottle of Jack Daniels so I can drunk order them and deny all knowledge of how it happened.

ILPete

FNG
I wear glasses and use both the 8x32NLs and 8x30 SFLs with the eyecups at the first stop out. The main advantage of the 32NLs over the 30SFLs is the FOV. The main advantage of the SFLs is they are noticeably less susceptible to glare when the sun is at an acute angle. The SFLs seem to have touch more clarity and contrast as well as a bit more depth of focus / 3d effect. The focus wheel is a bit tighter than I like, although it is smooth and even like the SFs and 8x40SFLs.

Fun Guy

FNG
I run the B1.2 Maven 8x42’s but at almost 27 ounces, they aren’t my favorite one handed. 22 or even 16 ounces sounds pretty sweet! Not factoring cost into it, would you go NL 8x32, SFL 8x30 or SFL 8x40?

Thanks for your input.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
When these came out last year I wasn't sure what to expect but we can't keep them in stock. I find that the birders are a lot more picky about their binoculars than hunters and that might be whose buying most of them.

Real world use, when are you guys taking out your tiny binos?

I originally got my 8x30's for timber archery elk when before I sometimes would leave the binos in the truck. Last season I they worked well taking them on archery elk that also had a few glassing spots where I'd hand hold, but not bring a tripod. If I know I'll be glassing more but moving, I bring the 12x and if really long tripod sessions, bring the 15x.

At 16oz, I'm going to try them riding my mule and see how they work.

Last edited:

Blandry

WKR
I take out my tiny 10x25s all the time (kids games, hockey etc). I do agree, though, that a good pair of 8x30's and 12x is a better option if you can afford it.

Reed104R

Lil-Rokslider
I am currently using a pair of Leica 8x32 Trinovid BA's and they are incredible.