New Zeiss Bino—SFL 10x40–Review

This is actually my first post on Rokslide but wanted to weigh in on the Zeiss SFL. I work full time at Scheels and get to spend a lot of time behind optics.

I currently use NL Pure 12x42s as my do everything binocular. They are incredible in detail and the field of view is super noticeable. I love the size but that leaves a little bit of exit pupil to be desired. We got in the SFL and I was massively impressed with them. To my eyes the SFLs are 95% (I saw a few others quoted that number as well and I came to the exact conclusion before reading this thread) as good as NLs but are like 10 ounces lighter and $1600 cheaper. I also think the focus wheel is superior on the Zeiss. In the mindful hunters review he mentioned with some binos you find yourself going past that perfect focus point and then going back to it to verify what the perfect focus point is. I had never found away to describe that to people but he worded it very well and I couldn’t agree more. The Zeiss SFL gets you to that right focusing point much easier.

Through my job I can actually get swarovski products for free, I wanted an 8x42 bino to complement my 12x42 NL for low light performance especially in a deer stand. With that being said I’m actually going to PAY my own money for the Zeiss SFL 8x40s and get a BTX and a 115mm from swaro. Just wanted to put that in to show how impressed I was with the SFL.

Also I’ll note the last few months the Swarovski ELs have been $400 off and my understanding is that price of $1,999 is going to be the new retail price going forward. Sounds crazy but $1800 for the SFL and $2000 for the EL is actually a really good deal in the when looking at the competition. Also a few Scheels and even our website had the Zeiss SFL marked down to $1499 for awhile. I don’t know what all stores still have them at that price but it wouldn’t hurt to check your local Scheels and ask about price matching!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
This is actually my first post on Rokslide but wanted to weigh in on the Zeiss SFL. I work full time at Scheels and get to spend a lot of time behind optics.

I currently use NL Pure 12x42s as my do everything binocular. They are incredible in detail and the field of view is super noticeable. I love the size but that leaves a little bit of exit pupil to be desired. We got in the SFL and I was massively impressed with them. To my eyes the SFLs are 95% (I saw a few others quoted that number as well and I came to the exact conclusion before reading this thread) as good as NLs but are like 10 ounces lighter and $1600 cheaper. I also think the focus wheel is superior on the Zeiss. In the mindful hunters review he mentioned with some binos you find yourself going past that perfect focus point and then going back to it to verify what the perfect focus point is. I had never found away to describe that to people but he worded it very well and I couldn’t agree more. The Zeiss SFL gets you to that right focusing point much easier.

Through my job I can actually get swarovski products for free, I wanted an 8x42 bino to complement my 12x42 NL for low light performance especially in a deer stand. With that being said I’m actually going to PAY my own money for the Zeiss SFL 8x40s and get a BTX and a 115mm from swaro. Just wanted to put that in to show how impressed I was with the SFL.

Also I’ll note the last few months the Swarovski ELs have been $400 off and my understanding is that price of $1,999 is going to be the new retail price going forward. Sounds crazy but $1800 for the SFL and $2000 for the EL is actually a really good deal in the when looking at the competition. Also a few Scheels and even our website had the Zeiss SFL marked down to $1499 for awhile. I don’t know what all stores still have them at that price but it wouldn’t hurt to check your local Scheels and ask about price matching!
Man, this is great to hear your experience from your background with optics. Great first post and thanks for chiming in.

the1adman

FNG

I'm in the market for upgrading my binoculars. Great post, thank you.