Zeiss SFL 8x30 Review— a compact with full size performance?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I know, that’s bold talk for a fat man, but I was surprised when I tested these.

Yes, Zeiss is a sponsor, but I can say what I want in these reviews.

These new SFL 8x30s hung with my 2014 Swaro’ ELs in Twilight Performance. They only lost by one minute! But the kicker is they only weigh 16 ozs and are very small (although it’d take a big pocket to swallow them)

I only received the 8x30 but 10x30 is available too; I wish I could’ve put the SFL 10x3 to the SFL 10x40 I reviewed last summer.

Anyway, I have plenty of other comparisons in the final review linked below.

In short, glass performance just keeps getting better and better per oz.

Archery elk hunters and even mule deer hunters going light should take a look at these.

4C3B07AA-D5DF-4736-BBE1-3E93FD522EE2.jpeg

Nice! Any ideas on pricing? I would be interested to see how they stack up against the Swarovski CL’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Nice! Any ideas on pricing? I would be interested to see how they stack up against the Swarovski CL’s

No, can you believe it? I'm still trying to find out myself. All I was told was "good price point."

I'll post as soon as I know.

And I wish I'd have has some Swaro' CLs on hand.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome review Robby! It sounds like those binos will surprise a lot of people.

And should keep driving the competition to improve!

That’s not a bad price point. I can’t wait to get my hands on a set to try them out. They would make a great lightweight archery bino.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
That’s not a bad price point. I can’t wait to get my hands on a set to try them out. They would make a great lightweight archery bino.

Wish you were closer to me to try these. I’ll have them a few more weeks in hand if anyone near Idaho Falls

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
If these are anything like the 8x40SFLs they're 95% of the top of the line bins for half the price. Gonna order a pair ASAP.
They should be as I compared them to the 10x40 SFLs in the review. the compacts didn’t beat them overall (except daylight resolving) but for the weight, were hanging in there just fine.

Let us know about your 8X when you get them.

First post on here, but have been reading rokslide for the past two years. This is an awesome community and has taught me so much as I have begun my hunting journey. Recently moved to Southern Utah(from northern utah) and hoping to get a general season mule deer tag in the Southwest desert unit. It has lots of think pinyon stands and open country is hard to come by. From my exploring I can glass pockets from 300-1000 yards away on average. I have a small diamondback spotter, but recently sold my diamonback binos and am looking to get some higher tier optics. Really thinking about the Zeiss SFL's. For the country I described, would you all recommend 8x or 10x and with that the 40's or these new 32's? I do a lot of glassing by hand and keep my tripod for my spotter as I really like to film what I see. Thanks guys!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, welcome to Rokslide.

based on your last sentence about hand-held, I’d still recommend 8x. 10x is great and I’ve started using it for scouting as I’m not still-hunting then, but once hunting season’s on, I’m back to the 8x.

Any of you 10X guys wanna offer him your opinion on this?

Also... any insights as to the best time of year to buy new optics? When is stuff likely to be discounted? Particularly from Zeiss? Thanks!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Also... any insights as to the best time of year to buy new optics? When is stuff likely to be discounted? Particularly from Zeiss? Thanks!
no insight from me, but there's someone on this site who knows!

and of course our Optics Classifieds is a great place to look anytime of the year. Good luck!