Zeiss "Lifetime" Warranty - refusal to stand behind its product

It’s generally not very sound judgement to make optics buying decisions based on internet threads. Many replies are not based on any actual experience and/or just parroting what was written in other threads here and across the internet.

Personally couldn’t pass up the $200 off deal on Zeiss Conquests back around Thanksgiving and bought an 8x32 HD. Absolutely superb optic that punches well above its weight. Been using it a lot over the past few months and love it. Tough to imagine a better binocular for the $. They also appear quite rugged so I’m not anticipating needing warranty service anytime soon.

Have a large stable of others including a good number of Alphas but will happily proclaim they are a gem that exceeded my expectations.

Stalker69

WKR
It’s generally not very sound judgement to make optics buying decisions based on internet threads. Many replies are not based on any actual experience and/or just parroting what was written in other threads here and across the internet.

Personally couldn’t pass up the $200 off deal on Zeiss Conquests back around Thanksgiving and bought an 8x32 HD. Absolutely superb optic that punches well above its weight. Been using it a lot over the past few months and love it. Tough to imagine a better binocular for the $. They also appear quite rugged so I’m not anticipating needing warranty service anytime soon.

Have a large stable of others including a good number of Alphas but will happily proclaim they are a gem that exceeded my expectations.
Well it's quite the same writing a " good" review before you have even had them for several years. Zeiss are pretty well made, and should not really have any issues. The problem is, in a few years after having them, a number of people are having issues that zeiss won't stand behind. I think you are trying to cover up buyers remorse, by prematurely posting a " review" on an issue of warranty, that you most likely won't need for several years.

Well it's quite the same writing a " good" review before you have even had them for several years. Zeiss are pretty well made, and should not really have any issues. The problem is, in a few years after having them, a number of people are having issues that zeiss won't stand behind. I think you are trying to cover up buyers remorse, by prematurely posting a " review" on an issue of warranty, that you most likely won't need for several years.
Think you’ve missed the point entirely. A number of folks posted they were basing buying decisions on what was posted here, and at least one of those folks said they backed off on buying the Conquest due to this thread. That’s kind of silly.

If folks have never had a warranty service issue then they simply haven’t owned enough optics. All mechanical devices are prone to failure. Having bought my first Alpha ~30 years ago and owned scores of optics since then I can safely say that I’ve had mixed experiences with warranty repairs with each of the Big 3. Most were satisfactory, a few exceptionally good, and several extremely bad (yes, including Swarovski). In my personal experience I‘ve had fewer displeasing warranty experiences with Zeiss than either Leica or Swarovski.

Since this thread attempts to claim that Zeiss warranty service is terrible — I had Zeiss Dialyt 10x40 B/GA T* Binoculars for many years when the center hinge finally wore out. Any warranty had long since expired but Zeiss asked me to send them in anyway. About a week later they notified me that since they were long out of production there were no parts in the USA and apologized for having to send them back to Germany for repair. It took about 2 months but when I got them back not only was the hinge fixed but they had replaced the lenses and eyecups (in essence rebuilt) as well. They even included a note apologizing for it taking fo long.

I have no reservations in buying Zeiss products. While I can empathize with those who were less than satisfied that just hasn’t been my experience.

Stalker69

WKR
I have and have had Zeiss scopes, and have had issues with one in particular. Twice now it has been sent back “ repaired” and it’s not. (It now resides on my grand sons pellet gun. ) And was charged for repair and shipping. So I do have experience with what others are saying. And I would suggest, from my experience, to look at alternatives. I have Burris scopes on a few hand guns, had issues with two of them. Returned to Burris, brand new scopes both times. No charge, no hassles. Do I think Burris is a better optic then zeiss, no, but they do honor their warranty. Dont offer a lifetime ( or any warranty) warranty, and then not honor it. At least they did several years ago when I had the issues, and I would hope they still do.

Last edited:
That sucks. Thanks for the heads up. It would be nice to see a megathread in the future with links to other ‘name and shame’ posts of companies doing people wrong. I have seen these kind of posts in other arenas result in the offending parties cleaning up their act once they see organized discontentment.

bpurtz

WKR
My hunting buddy had some Zeiss RF Binos that the objective coating developed scratches. Sent them in and Zeiss said "not covered by warranty and $700 to repair".

The lens fix/replacement was going to take several months to complete, so he bought a second set for an upcoming hunt. One year of use on the second set and had the same problem - same Zeiss response, "not covered by warranty and $700 to repair".

He won't consider another Zeiss optic...

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
My hunting buddy had some Zeiss RF Binos that the objective coating developed scratches. Sent them in and Zeiss said "not covered by warranty and $700 to repair".

The lens fix/replacement was going to take several months to complete, so he bought a second set for an upcoming hunt. One year of use on the second set and had the same problem - same Zeiss response, "not covered by warranty and $700 to repair".

I’m not defending Zeiss’ customer service, but this is a curious case.

I have never heard of optics of any type “developing scratches.”

I have heard of coating failures, although those typically present as “bubbles” or spots. Scratches are, as the term implies, caused by physical contact.

Since this happened with two sets of RFs, I would make sure your friend looks over his glass handling and protection setup.

The most frequent culprit for objective scratches is debris in a bino harness, although it can also happen by just storing binoculars in a vehicle without the objectives covered or overzealous/improper lens cleaning.

FWIW, I have a pair of RFs that have been heavily used for several years and the lenses appear as new.

To add to what Matt said. Zeiss Lotutec Lens Coating is exceptionally good and has certainly stood the test of time. Lotutec coated lenses would not be easy to scratch without subjecting the lens to some kind of serious abuse. But I managed to do it when I dropped my Zeiss SF on a rocky slope while on a sheep hunt. This was certainly no manufacturer’s defect and no optical device is built to handle that kind of abuse.

Even so, since the SF is part of the Zeiss Victory line of optics in addition to the regular warranty they also carry a 5-year no-fault warranty. So I sent them in and had everything fixed, including new lenses = no charge.

I have 2 v4 scopes and will buy another. My vortex pieces have all went in for warranty work. Happy I stopped buying from them. My first v4 went out of an airboat into an Alaskan river and still held zero after bouncing off the boat and the rocks. Rokslide tikka special! I can tell you us as hunters are a small market for this top glass companies.

Only my opinion.

My swaro's slc 10x42 fell out of a tree deer hunting in my bag. Did I expect them to cover it. No, it was a very small fee for them to be fixed and sent back. Happy hunting

bpurtz

WKR
I’m not defending Zeiss’ customer service, but this is a curious case.

I have never heard of optics of any type “developing scratches.”
Even so, since the SF is part of the Zeiss Victory line of optics in addition to the regular warranty they also carry a 5-year no-fault warranty. So I sent them in and had everything fixed, including new lenses = no charge.
@Matt Cashell - maybe you misread my prior post? I did say the scratches were in the coating of the objectives...

Zeiss said the coating scratches were due to improper lens care and therefore not covered under the 5 year no fault warranty.

My buddy will be the first to admit he isn't the most careful about gear, but he is absolutely not abusive.

I have some 5 y/o Leica Ultravid HD binoculars that I unintentionally caused a blemish in the lens coating using canned air to clean - totally my fault. Leica replaced both objectives on my binoculars under warranty.

bpurtz

WKR

Well, my hunting buddy has a new love for Zeiss. He chatted with a rep at the Portland Sportsman's show about the 2 sets of RF binos with the scratched coatings. Zeiss ended up replacing one of the sets with a brand new set. Great customer service!

I always get a kick out of reading this type of thread. Thanks for the entertainment!! Safe to say with the strong modern day interwebz you can pick a brand and someone, somewhere will have an issue with it. You can be damn sure they will scream from the rooftops. For me, I will continue using my conquests, SFs and God forbid a no tracking Leupy V5 that keeps knocking down elk for some damn reason.