Rob5589

WKR
I see nothing on the Field Ethos IG page
I won't believe it until I see something official from Zeiss
European countries aren't as firearm friendly as America
Even if true there are many other options

sneaky

"DADDY"
I’ll go get my optics from Japan then? Same story if we’re going back in time. That’s where all the other good optics come from. The next option is China and we know what a good humans rights record they have.

Leupold is about the best we can do if we’re gonna have this conversation and most of my scopes are theirs, except for one Zeiss. Some USA assembled Maven would be another limited option.
Leupold doesn't make their glass, it's imported, Maven isn't US made either.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rick M.

WKR
Seems like they are attempting to appeal to both birders as well as hunters. I get moving away from the "tacticool" stuff (can't blame them for not wanting 350lb. wannabe militant cosplayers as their poster boys), but I don't like the idea of pretending that hunting doesn't entail killing an animal. It reminds me of commercials that show cute chickens and cows as if slaughterhouses don't exist. That being said, there is an element to keeping things classy in this release, and I'm actually on board with it.

Edit: I wanted to add that we have to be careful as a community to not become afflicted with the "outrage culture" bug that seems to pervade every other forum and social media platform. Not everything is a reason to be upset or outraged or poised to "cancel" a given company. Zeiss seems to be trying to keep their social media presence classy, and that's no reason to move away from them as a company. Too many forums out there end up turning into an echo chamber of finding things to be upset about and circle-jerking around common political themes. Rokslide needs to be better.

Last edited:

Btaylor

WKR
Seems like they are attempting to appeal to both birders as well as hunters. I get moving away from the "tacticool" stuff, but I don't like the idea of pretending that hunting doesn't entail killing an animal. It reminds me of commercials that show cute chickens and cows as if slaughterhouses don't exist.
Reality is misinformation, havent you heard? Spreading that BS will draw scrutiny from DHS.

ODB

WKR
I see nothing on the Field Ethos IG page
I won't believe it until I see something official from Zeiss
European countries aren't as firearm friendly as America
Even if true there are many other options

2729311A-0739-4839-930B-BA899D8D36D3.jpeg

Seems like they are attempting to appeal to both birders as well as hunters. I get moving away from the "tacticool" stuff (can't blame them for not wanting 350lb. wannabe militant cosplayers as their poster boys), but I don't like the idea of pretending that hunting doesn't entail killing an animal. It reminds me of commercials that show cute chickens and cows as if slaughterhouses don't exist. That being said, there is an element to keeping things classy in this release, and I'm actually on board with it.

Edit: I wanted to add that we have to be careful as a community to not become afflicted with the "outrage culture" bug that seems to pervade every other forum and social media platform. Not everything is a reason to be upset or outraged or poised to "cancel" a given company. Zeiss seems to be trying to keep their social media presence classy, and that's no reason to move away from them as a company. Too many forums out there end up turning into an echo chamber of finding things to be upset about and circle-jerking around common political themes. Rokslide needs to be better.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Stop right there with your common sense logic man. LOL

hunt1up

WKR
Leupold doesn't make their glass, it's imported, Maven isn't US made either.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yes that’s true. It’s pretty near impossible to buy purely American made stuff these days. With the exception of a few high priced brands with most anything, American assembled is about as good as you’re gonna get.

That ship has sailed.

I personally can't stand the "woke" movement that we have been watching these last several years. Insofar as Zeiss is concerned, here are some facts that might explain their position (not necessarily excuse them)...

Zeiss' business model likely receives less than 2% of their revenue from their sporting optics division. Their "bread and butter" is rooted in the semiconductor industry/nano fab.

Zeiss is also a manufacturer of various microscopy instruments which are sold to individuals with cute initials after their names, like MD and PhD. These folks are most often found in various labs funded and established in academia and government bureaucracies. As we all know, these institutions are populated by the very individuals that birthed this "woke movement". Zeiss surely didn't start this movement but most certainly has to do business with those that did. I suppose the marketing department at Zeiss recognizes the dangers inherent in today's social media driven world and would prefer to avoid offending their hyper sensitive customer base.

Some may choose not to support Zeiss in the future as a result of their position. I do understand this and there are other high-end alternatives to consider. Interestingly, many of the other companies that actually produce comparable optics utilize Schott glass to achieve the needed level of performance to compete with Zeiss products. Guess who owns Schott glass?

Disclaimer; I am a Zeiss fanboy. I took my first elk with a Remington ADL .270 wearing a Zeiss fixed 8x scope almost 40 years ago. One of my best friends and hunting partners has worked for Zeiss for 17 years....

ODB

WKR
Not saying it isn't true but, forgive me if I raise an eyebrow over someone saying they heard from a mysterious "high level employee" an IG post is true. Again, maybe, even probably, true. But I'll remain skeptical until I see official doc's from Zeiss or a WKR.

Understand. However, through my travels I have known “high level” people in many industries whom I would never utter their name in conjunction with something like this. The overall relationship is much more valuable to me.

In cases like this, dropping a name is tantamount to tossing under the bus.

You very likely won’t see anything direct from zeiss about this.

And the agony that will follow once Swaro goes "woke". They are, after all, European companies...

Does going "woke" justify the infamous "boycott" hunters are so willing to impose when things don't go their way????

No, I'm not a troll. Just asking the fanboy crowds....
it wouldn't cause me to boycott, but i would try to find a different option that wasn't turning into what i despise. if swaro does what Zeiss did, i would be doing some research hoping to support a company that hasn't caved to this nonsense... Kowa and Leica would be fine with me. i like my swaro stuff, but it's kinda like shopping on Bowmar archery.... many things we don't really have a choice, but when we do, i don't want to support companies that don't support me (my way of life)

once you get into the high end anything, the differences are splitting hairs, so while i may prefer one over another, if one company is woke, another doesn't care about political correctness, i'm going with the latter..... why can't companies just keep their beliefs to themselves so they don't need to walk on eggshells? just make the damn product and sell it, nobody needs to know your stance..... i guess to me it comes down to wanting to support "real" people, not these fake people trying to crush their nuts riding the fence non stop.... that prostaff list is fake, anyone who abides by it is fake.