ZCO 420

I was really struggling to spend the money but I can honestly say you get what you pay for, its incredible.
Head and shoulders above a Zeiss V4 or V6, Leupold VX6HD, NF ATACR or NXS.
I use the before mentioned for comparison because I have or have had them recently.
Buy once cry once is the motto here but like a friend warned me once you use top tier glass everything else looks fuzzy and he was right. It's blocky and took some getting used to but optically leaves you wanting nothing, if you can afford it I wouldn't hesitate.

PS. I know its a bit apples vs oranges for comparison but the point I am trying to make is it's worth it.

Last edited:
I had a 5-27 when they first came out… wasn’t satisfied with them so I sold them but I got a chance to look over a 4-20 a buddy of mine has and it appeared to be much better optically. Enjoy!

Xycod

Lil-Rokslider
Great glass, but so are many others, still I’ve about went all NF or ZCO on most other than simple reticle scopes for hunting. Then main difference for me between zco, a nf atacr, a tt, is the color.

Resolution/glass is pretty much a wash in all three, or in all the samples I’ve had, the atacr’s I have and have had all have a warmer view though, the zco is somewhere in between and the tt is cooler.

Contrast also varies a bit but from what I’ve seen it’s more sample variation than brand.

Last edited:
I'm holding off on ZCO/Tangent until 2026 when their FOV will get unthrottled but they seem like great scopes I'm jealous of their image quality.

khuber84

WKR
I'm holding off on ZCO/Tangent until 2026 when their FOV will get unthrottled but they seem like great scopes I'm jealous of their image quality.
Is the swaro patent coming up to expire? TT 5-25 have large FOV because they were grandfathered in via the Premier design they inherited.

The ZCO 420 is a great optic, I've had one for 3-4 years. However for the price, I feel the atacr 420 is comparable enough and can be had for 1200-1500$ less if a guy has connections or friends with dealer accts.

TT 5-25 have large FOV because they were grandfathered in via the Premier design they inherited.
As far as I've heard, TT still have a restricted FOV. Basically anyone who uses Schott glass does other than the Kahles K328i. Manufacturers like Vortex/Nightforce who have their scopes made in Asia (like LOW) just ignore the patent entirely. That's at least what people like Ilya Koshkin say and when it comes to image quality and stuff like that I trust him completely (not droptesting stuff).

khuber84

WKR
As far as I've heard, TT still have a restricted FOV. Basically anyone who uses Schott glass does other than the Kahles K328i. Manufacturers like Vortex/Nightforce who have their scopes made in Asia (like LOW) just ignore the patent entirely. That's at least what people like Ilya Koshkin say and when it comes to image quality and stuff like that I trust him completely (not droptesting stuff).
The TT 525 is the same premier 525 tube/body/mechanics and optical formula that came about prior to the Swaro/Khales patent on fov ratios. The 315 and 735 TT don't get the pass. Yes the asain manufacturers just don't care. Ilya knows his stuff.

Xycod

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah the patent is an imo, I read the Leica suit in which they won the case and it want about innovation from what I read, a good summary was more like you’re not allowed to make a better scope than we are, that’s what I got out of it anyway.

Makes it hard to buy a Zeiss v8, a Schmidt, or any high dollar optic that adheres to the patent, especially when 27% of the fov is altered/neutered and for the same price. I thick the US patent last until 2030 but not sure. Leaves a bad taste for what I’ve always considered a great brand.

Good pic of an 4k optic meeting the patent, notice the reticle going past the black ring, that should be image.

1719692144632.jpeg

Yeah the patent is an imo, I read the Leica suit in which they won the case and it want about innovation from what I read, a good summary was more like you’re not allowed to make a better scope than we are, that’s what I got out of it anyway.

Makes it hard to buy a Zeiss v8, a Schmidt, or any high dollar optic that adheres to the patent, especially when 27% of the fov is altered/neutered and for the same price. I thick the US patent last until 2030 but not sure. Leaves a bad taste for what I’ve always considered a great brand.

Good pic of an 4k optic meeting the patent, notice the reticle going past the black ring, that should be image.

View attachment 730223
I've heard 2026 personally, hope it's not 2030. It definitely sucks for our scopes to get throttled I heard the S&B 6-36x56 (EU version) is crazy good. If there's confirmation that it's 2030 for US scopes I'll be really bummed.

Yeah the v8 Zeiss looks more like a mk4 leupold or a Kahles525i non dmr, same for the Schmidt 6-36 with around a 21.5 degree fov instead of the 24 it should be. It’s one reason Leica stoped importing the magnus because they wouldn’t comply with the patent.

I'm still mega salty about the Magnus not being sold in the US. It's apparently on par with the S&B Polar line as far as low light performance and we just can't buy it.