Leupold vx6 3-18x50 performance and options

WKR

WKR
Really taking a hard look at a vx6 3-18x50 for my rifle build. I've been using zeiss v4's for a long time on multiple rifles but I wanted to go up a tier to something either made in Germany or made in the u.s. and unfortunately right now the zeiss v6 doesn't check all the boxes.
So that got me looking at the leupold and with the weight and features its very attractive. Now my questions are about the glass quality compared to zeiss? And also about the reticle selection. I'm intrigued by the duplex firedot as I always dial. But how big is that dot and does it effect precision? Can you shoot tiny groups with it or does it cover too much of the target? Is the moa reticle with subtensions a better choice?
Also since the scope has an internal electronic level is it worth putting an external bubble level on the scope or is that necessity eliminated?

RyanC

WKR
I have been using the vx6 3-18x44 for a while and it has never let me down. Not sure you need to go with a 50mm as I have never wished I had more light gathering ability with the 44mm, but to each their own.
The glass quality is really good....can't compare with Zeiss as I've never own one.
The firedot is small. Not sure what you mean by tiny groups but if you always dial your scope and you want an illuminated dot or reticle, go with the firedot.
Lastly, the electronic level does work great, but I mounted mine with a set of rings with an integrated level.....always good to have a back up!!

Hope that helps.

Ryan

You'd likely be very happy with a VX6-HD. While I haven't ever owned a Zeiss, I do have some premium glass and I do own a VX6-HD, so I'll share what I can in hopes it may be of use.

The Leupold VX6-HD is the only scope I have on one of my hunting guns that isn't a Swarovski Z8i - they are excellent scopes. As are the VX5-HDs. All things combined between weight, reliability, low-light usability, illumination, etc, the VX5-HD and the VX6-HD are really hard to beat in overall value for cost, for a hunting rifle. Also, IIRC, unlike Swaro and Zeiss, the "5" and "6" designation is not a marker of quality or tier, but their magnification factor between lowest and highest power - pretty sure both have the same exact quality on glass, coatings, build, etc, but because there's less glass in the VX5-HD, it's cheaper and lighter. I'm going to put extra emphasis on their usability in low-light conditions - in my experience there is little if any extra low-light usability between my VX6-HD and my Z8is, but both brands give me anywhere from 5-15 minutes more usability before dawn and after sundown, depending on conditions, than anything in the same price range as the VX6-HD. My understanding is that a substantial part of that performance in both brands comes from optical coatings that are hard for other manufacturers to match, although IIRC Zeiss definitely does as well, at least in their higher tier lineup.

One other point that might be worth considering, on the subject of low-light usability, regards objective diameter - it matters a lot less in rifle scopes than it does in binos, because what you're dealing with is a ratio between objective lens diameter and magnification power. Divide diameter by power, and you get "exit pupil", which is essentially the diameter of the light beam coming back to your eye for it to gather light from. The bigger the better, up to about 7mm, as that's around the maximum most people's pupils can dilate to. With binos, 8x56 is historically the best for this, but with a rifle scope, just dial down the magnification to open up the exit pupil. You won't get much advantage out of the 50mm objective other than some field of view, and a little bit more usable magnification in low-light, but you'd save some weight and be able to get the scope closer to the bore with the 44mm objective.

As to the size of the firedot, it's very small - smaller than the dot in my Swaros - but very usable. They're great optics.

I wouldn't touch one.

I had both a zeiss V6 5-30 and a Leupold VX6HD 4-24. The fire dot is awesome, no issues with precision. I also had the TMOA version and I liked both reticles. No need for an external bubble. I no longer have either and have been switching my scopes to NF and Trijicon over the past couple years.

amassi

WKR
Really taking a hard look at a vx6 3-18x50 for my rifle build. I've been using zeiss v4's for a long time on multiple rifles but I wanted to go up a tier to something either made in Germany or made in the u.s. and unfortunately right now the zeiss v6 doesn't check all the boxes.
So that got me looking at the leupold and with the weight and features its very attractive. Now my questions are about the glass quality compared to zeiss? And also about the reticle selection. I'm intrigued by the duplex firedot as I always dial. But how big is that dot and does it effect precision? Can you shoot tiny groups with it or does it cover too much of the target? Is the moa reticle with subtensions a better choice?
Also since the scope has an internal electronic level is it worth putting an external bubble level on the scope or is that necessity eliminated?

How are you going to adjust for wind with the fire dot?

Plan to dial elevation and wind?

The internal level is not for field use, only mounting.

It is the same quality as the v4 you have optically

They are fragile scopes if ruggedness or dependability is important in that rifle.

Also the small screws attaching the dials to the elevation and windage post are not great, strip easily and you will knock off the windage dial eventually so carry a spare and an Allen key

Likewise the illumination cap is really fragile and will fall off so carry a spare

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
How are you going to adjust for wind with the fire dot?

Plan to dial elevation and wind?

The internal level is not for field use, only mounting.

It is the same quality as the v4 you have optically

They are fragile scopes if ruggedness or dependability is important in that rifle.

Also the small screws attaching the dials to the elevation and windage post are not great, strip easily and you will knock off the windage dial eventually so carry a spare and an Allen key

Likewise the illumination cap is really fragile and will fall off so carry a spare

I usually hold for wind so the firedot duplex would be a new addition to my shot process having to remember to dial for both elevation and wind.

Explain why the internal level is not for field use

I'm starting to lean back towards the zeiss v6 now that I've heard about all the tracking problems and fragility. I just wish the v6 had a locking windage turret, or a capped windage and exposed elevation. I dont know why zeiss hasn't figured that out yet.

amassi

WKR
I usually hold for wind so the firedot duplex would be a new addition to my shot process having to remember to dial for both elevation and wind.

Explain why the internal level is not for field use

I'm starting to lean back towards the zeiss v6 now that I've heard about all the tracking problems and fragility. I just wish the v6 had a locking windage turret, or a capped windage and exposed elevation. I dont know why zeiss hasn't figured that out yet.

The internal level isn’t always on
You have to long hold the illumination for 15 seconds to activate the level. Hardly a field level.

There’s plenty of illuminated scopes with locking or capped windage and exposed elevation.

The zeiss z6 is equally as durable or fragile as the vx6hd Leupold

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
The internal level isn’t always on
You have to long hold the illumination for 15 seconds to activate the level. Hardly a field level.

There’s plenty of illuminated scopes with locking or capped windage and exposed elevation.

The zeiss z6 is equally as durable or fragile as the vx6hd Leupold

Name a few that are under 30 ounces in the $1800-2800 range
No vortex products though not a fan of theirs

SDHNTR

WKR
Great glass, lousy reliability! Firedot is useless in the wind, dialing for wind is not practical. Keep looking.

Nightforce NXS and MOAR if you want SFP.

Ander2023

FNG
I have a Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 4.5-14x50 which has 0.1 MOA reticle line thickness. Also have leupold VX5HD 3-15x44 with fire dot duplex which is 0.2 MOA reticle line thickness. For prone distance shooting beyond 500yrds I do prefer the finer reticle line thickness, it seems easier to pick the center of a target. What I need to work on more is using the illuminated red dot to zero in quicker to a target point, but I may just get my leupold reticle switched to an illuminated TMOA with the finer reticle