Youth rifle to keep

Dave0317

WKR
I got a Tikka Compact in .223 for my 10 year old to hunt with. When he isn’t using it, I do!

It’s a great little rifle and has a stock spacer so it will fit an adult once you add the spacer back in.

If your state requires bigger than 223, then go .243. But don’t underestimate how much more enjoyable the sport is for a kid when the recoil is not scary.

While I am an admitted Tikka fanboi, for this particular issue I would build a custom gun. That being said, this option will be about $3K more than just outfitting a stock Tikka Compact.
The gun I would build would be on a Pure Precision SKLTN or Terminus action, chambered in 22, 6, or 6.5 Creed (depending on your particular state's laws and personal preferences), and put in a lightweight chassis (HNT26 or XLR Element). Top with a good scope (Maven, Trijicon, etc.).

That would be a rifle that is fully adjustable as she grows, will continue to be able to shoot to her capabilities, and will be bomb-proof. It will also be something that you can use if she decides that hunting isn't for her once she discovers boys, but will still be relevant if she decides that she wants to come back to it, or she finds a boy who also likes to hunt and she wants to impress him with a gun that will be much better than anything he has.

KenLee

WKR
Micro midas in 7mm-08 and shoot 120 gr NBT. Stone cold lifetime killer.
That's unless you expect your daughter to be 5' 10" tall with long arms and neck.

Attachments

• 20221027_181823.jpg
    20221027_181823.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 10
How much do you want to spend, what caliber restrictions are in your state, and how soon do you need it? Lots of options from a Ruger American to a CZ 527 to a full-blown dream rifle.

Don’t discount an AR, either. At some point in her lifetime, she may need to use it for self-defense.

OP
I

ikeG

FNG
Ordered a ruger 17110. Hawkeye black laminate & stainless. 308. I've always been intrigued by 7-08 but the future availability of a handloader made me go with 308. Going to work up some light loads for it. Looking at bullets that expand reliably at lower velocities.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

BLJ

WKR
Ordered a ruger 17110. Hawkeye black laminate & stainless. 308. I've always been intrigued by 7-08 but the future availability of a handloader made me go with 308. Going to work up some light loads for it. Looking at bullets that expand reliably at lower velocities.

I would recommend a Limbsaver recoil pad for her shoulder and a Beartooth cheek riser for some padding for her face. Before she fires the first shot.
I’d also watch her middle finger getting hit by the trigger guard. I have small hands and short fingers and it happens to me sometimes.
A 6# 308 might still be jumpy for a kid, even with reduced loads.
Not trying to be pushy, I just don’t want a “once bitten, twice shy” for a kid. IMO.

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty nice rifle but I have two questions.

What happens if/when she grows out of that stock?

“future availability of a handloader”
What do you mean by this statement? I load both the 7mm08 and the 308. I have no issues finding components for either.

For factory ammunition the 308 will always beat out the 708.

KenLee

WKR

16 inch barreled 308 is gonna be loud AF.
Most kids are bothered as much by noise as they are recoil.

I just bought my son a compact 223 tikka. Will likely get the barrel fluted when it’s cutting cut down for a can. If I lived in a state that had a 6mm minimum I’d probably still get a tikka and outfit is as a 6 ARC. The howa mini in 6 arc would be heavily considered as well.

Good point, ARK_Ginger. The Howa Mini in .223 or 6mm ARC is likely the best affordable youth hunting rifle around.

The only issue I see with Tikkas and small kids is the distance the bolt protrudes from the receiver. With a short LOP stock, I can imagine a bolt to the cheek for fast-cycling young'uns. It'll likely never happen, but Tikkas in short-action and micro-length versions would be amazing.

OP
I

ikeG

FNG
Pretty nice rifle but I have two questions.

What happens if/when she grows out of that stock?

“future availability of a handloader”
What do you mean by this statement? I load both the 7mm08 and the 308. I have no issues finding components for either.

For factory ammunition the 308 will always beat out the 708.
Future availability of a handloader, as in a person to do it. Right now it's not a problem.

I'm thinking that this rifle is a lifetime gun, to be handed down to her kids or whomever. Im aware of the recoil issue. Needs to take down PA whitetail and black bear, as early as next fall. She typically has her buck killed in archery. Pa archery season is 7 weeks long vs a 2 week rifle.

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
Future availability of a handloader, as in a person to do it. Right now it's not a problem.

I'm thinking that this rifle is a lifetime gun, to be handed down to her kids or whomever. Im aware of the recoil issue. Needs to take down PA whitetail and black bear, as early as next fall. She typically has her buck killed in archery. Pa archery season is 7 weeks long vs a 2 week rifle.

Just to clarify. You went 308 because of the greater factory ammo available? Which isn’t an issue for her now because you’ll reload for her?

If that’s the case I strongly agree with you. 7mm08 is an amazing cartridge and will definitely take whitetail and black bear BUT the factory ammo options are slim compared to the 308. Or at least that’s what I notice looking at the ammo shelves.

Get a limbsaver and some noise canceling ear muffs and that rifle will be killing for decades or more.

OP
I

ikeG

FNG
Just to clarify. You went 308 because of the greater factory ammo available? Which isn’t an issue for her now because you’ll reload for her?

If that’s the case I strongly agree with you. 7mm08 is an amazing cartridge and will definitely take whitetail and black bear BUT the factory ammo options are slim compared to the 308. Or at least that’s what I notice looking at the ammo shelves.

Get a limbsaver and some noise canceling ear muffs and that rifle will be killing for decades or more.

Yea, that's what I meant. I had my personal heart set on 7mm08 but didn't want it to cause her issues down the road.

TaperPin

WKR
Every kid in our family going back quite a while started out with a 243, and they keep it into adulthood because it’s a great trainer, loaner and hunter. Basic stocks are cheap - get a youth stock and cut it to what fits them well, knowing you’ll throw it away when they get taller.

Kids never like what we think they should as they grow up. Our sons would gladly trade a $4k custom bolt rifle for a $450 AR and a couple hundred rounds of ammo, and our niece would trade all the guns she was gifted for concert tickets if she could. :)