Youth gun advice.

ssliger

WKR
My little girl turns 11 this year, which means I have one year until she can hunt big game in our home state. I know which calibers I am looking at. What I need is advice on the actual gun. I am hoping to get her out shooting this summer so she will have over a years worth of practice in her belt before we go. Thanks for the help.

Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 Youth. Sub-MOA guarantee. I have one (the full size not the youth) and have shot under 1 inch groups with every box of factory ammo I have tried.

Sliger, I have a remington 7mm-08 youth rifle in remington and a savage 243 The 7mm-08 is my wife's and the 243 is my sons. I am very impressed with both. I have worked up some loads for both and they have both put down antelope, deer and elk. If you want to have her shoot them I can meet you at the range.

Sliger, I have a remington 7mm-08 youth rifle in remington and a savage 243 The 7mm-08 is my wife's and the 243 is my sons. I am very impressed with both. I have worked up some loads for both and they have both put down antelope, deer and elk. If you want to have her shoot them I can meet you at the range.

I might have to take you up on that this summer. Thanks!

I have been in your shoes! I ended up getting my daughter a Rem Model 7 Predator in 243. With a Leupold 2.5-8, it weighs just under 8 pounds loaded. 22" barrel and 13" LOP. Jess was 11 when I bought it for her. She was/is VERY recoil shy, but had very little problem with this rifle.

I taught 4H rifle and pistol for 4 years, with kids 8-13 years old. I can tell you from a lot of experience that lightest and shortest are necessarily the bestest:rolleyes:
There is only so much you can expect a 12 year old to do with a rifle. I think you will find that she will do fine with supported positions like sitting and prone, and grow frustrated with standing. It is a balancing act to find a rifle they can carry and shoot well from any position. I finally decided on the Model 7 so I can easily build on it later. A short action 700 would have worked, but the Model 7 was available to me ready to go.

I would recommend you play with a few rifles to see what YOU like in them...she will follow your lead! A good fit in the stock for her is important, as is a nice crisp trigger and easy to manipulate action/safety.

Ironically, while Jess carried her 243 a lot, she shot her first 3 critters with the rifle I was carrying at the time. Long range hunting and kids go very well together if planned for!

I'm am pretty much in your shoes and I decided I am going with the weatherby the sub moa and the over all look sold me and her of course on it. Its a beautiful little gun for a girl and comes in several calibers.. My biggest concern is not to go too big on caliber and I dont have much experience with some I was looking at...

pic of the weatherby

Back