Lever gun advice wanted

Kindo

WKR
I’m looking at adding another lever gun to the stable but am struggling to figure out which route to go.

Im currently looking at either the Henry Big Boy X or the Marlin 1894 SBL or Trapper models.

I’m debating between the .357 and the 45-70 calibers as I reload so the ammunition cost doesn’t really matter to me. I’d like to use it as a fun plinker as well as for some possible hunting around WI. I’ve got a suppressor which will work on both calibers as well.

I love the looks/feel of the Marlin in stainless, but also really like the idea of the 357/38 for suppressed plinking.

I can also get the Henry for around $825 so that is tempting as well when compared to about 1400 for the Marlin…

Thanks for the input!

_S_R_

FNG
Winchester 1892 takedown trapper
Winchester 94 Trails End takedown
Chiappa/Taylors Alaskan takedown
Pedersoli 86/71
Keep levergun classy

OP
Kindo

Kindo

WKR
Any input on that Chiappa Takedown? They weight about a ton the last one I picked up!

OP
Kindo

Kindo

WKR
I’m somewhat of a marlin collector so I’d say go that route. Henry’s look and feel cheap to me. Sprortsmans has the new Marlin 1894’s available to order. I’d get 44mag
I hear ya, I’m in the same boat with the Marlins and a traditionalist at heart. I have a 44 Trapper from back in the 70s-80s but I was just thinking that something to throw a suppressor on would be fun.

Maybe I need to stick to my gut and wait on a stainless Marlin with the threaded barrel.

jwood1284

FNG
I’m somewhat of a marlin collector so I’d say go that route. Henry’s look and feel cheap to me. Sprortsmans has the new Marlin 1894’s available to order. I’d get 44mag
2nd the 1894 44mag. It have a 1894CB 45LC it’s awesome to carry, hunt, and plink with.

TSAMP

WKR
I have a 44 mag big boy x. It's my straight wall deer gun here in Iowa. I like it. It's not exactly a laser beam and the comments on the x feeling cheap aren't necessarily wrong. I got it because I wasn't looking for an heirloom, just a tool. 1000002766.jpg

mjh

FNG
Have a Henry BigBoy Steel .357. Next lever action will be a Henry All Weather .357 or a Marlin .357 in Stainless. As the later is more of a dream of the future, the Henry is the real choice at the moment. When time and money come together also a future dream I'll buy another lever action.

I put a Skinner Sight on my Henry--have been happy with quality and performance.

If I was gonna buy a lever gun, I’d buy an old 25-20. I realize this isn’t what you asked but I think they’re sweet and would be fun if you were a reloader!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
i like my marlin and find the henry less classy. and maybe even clunky?
for just plinking the 357 would get the win. but for hunting a 44 or 45 would be better. my 45-70 just dont seem like much of a plinkier, even loaded down.

As been said....trust your Gut. The Marlin and Winchesters are just better made and more Classy. Totally skip the Chiappa junk. The Rossi is like a cheap Savage equivalent.

But you'll pay for the Marlin

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Rossi 92 stainless .44 mag, Henry big boy .357 and the new Marlin Classic 1894 .44 mag. The Henry has them all beat on feeding and accuracy. The Rossi was a pleasant surprise being the cheapest and its ability to feed. The bore is larger and needs .432 cast to shoot well. The new Marlin has the best fit and finish but that’s where it stops. The trigger is the wrist of the 3. It was also having issues with double feeds. Of them all, I choose Henry going forward.

yfarm

WKR
Shoot a Marlin Trapper, love the rifle, shoot 300gr in a tshirt, no issues with recoil, like the versatility. Why mess with pistol cartridges in a rifle?

Shraggs

WKR
Would a 358 win meet both your needs? Certainly can be a potent load with hand loads and you can also load down for plinking.

The blr in the takedown would be slick

I have a Rossi R92 in 44mag.

My dad has a Marlin in 44mag.

I like the Marlin as you can install a standard scope, with the Rossi you can only put on a scout scope because of the ejection.

I had problems finding a rail to mount the scope, but maybe that has cleared up. Rossi still shows they are not in stock though.