Your longest pack out by foot?

go_deep

WKR
Not how long it felt, not I'm trying to be an Internet tough guy.
What was the total distance of your longest pack out?
How many trips, and species too.
Mine was a bull elk solo in 3 trips, 19.2 miles on my GPS tracks.

sndmn11

WKR
12 miles one way, the bighorn hunt from this review Seek Outside Wingspan. 6 miles to Basecamp and 6 miles to spikecamp on a Monday. The hunter killed Tuesday at dawn and we were back at the trucks at dusk that day.

I had all the meat and camp for a mile or two, off loaded a quarter to get to base camp, dropped another quarter and added gear at base camp.

Much easier than anticipated due to being a famous well used trail, but still nothing to laugh at @Ross ... 😀

Last edited:

Bambistew

WKR
16.5 miles one way, sheep hunt with a 2/3rds of a sheep and camp. Packed a moose 2 miles one way about 6 trips later... he was out. That wasn't a lot of fun.

Northpark

WKR
Elk. 5.8 miles each direction. Three trips. So 29 total miles in two days if you don’t count the initial walk into get your the elk and kill it.. Buddy killed a bull and I killed a cow 100 yards apart so we each had a total elk to deal with. In hindsight we should have shot one bull and been done with it. My heels looked like the lathrop and sons adds on here from all the miles with extra pressure on them. It was miserable. I’d do it again.

JohnB

WKR
We hiked a mountain goat out 21 miles. Fortunately mostly on trails and that there were 4 of us. I don't expect to ever top that distance unless horses are involved.

Deer, 10 miles one way, pack weight pegged a 100 pound scale; it was brutal.

Bear, about 7 miles one way, total 30 miles, however, camp was 2 miles in the direction of the truck, with the truck being 5 miles from camp, Thank God I had a buddy to help me, as it was a very large balckbear. We did manage to get part of the bear to camp arriving after dark, while hanging the rest 100 yeard from where I shot and gutted it. I made a total of 3 trips over the 2 days from time of shoting the bear, my buddy 2, but I did take the head (required) and the entire hide (taht was one trip). So for me, over 2 days I did 30 miles total spending the night at camp so we could break camp the following morning. When I finally made it to the truck to drive out, I literally felt like I couldn't take another step. I have not had a real desire to take a bear again, unless it is reasonable close to a road or Jeep trail.

Mountain Caribou, killed 17 km from the lake we'd flown into. Buddy shot his one day before me so he was loaded down with his own meat and backpack camp. Took us 3 trips each to take the meat and backpack camp from in deep to the lake. We'd advance all the meat plus camp every day. Lots of willows, a couple of mountains and 5 days of humping to get back to the lake and wait on the float plane. I was going on 68 years old for the packout. Buddy was about 1/2 my age and we agreed we'd NOT do that again, haha.

Hair over 3 miles. To go 300 yards as the crow flies, was to go down 100 yards at 45*, creek crossing over downed trees, up about 100 yards at 45*. Rinse. Repeat.

Was super fun. White tail.

grfox92

WKR
This year, cow elk 15 miles total 2 guys.

This year muley buck 2.5 miles from the kill to the truck with 2 guys.

These are both as the crow flies. Not sure actual miles due to elevation gain and switchbacking off trail.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

I know better now....and fully agree with you. Packin a 9 for the yotes these days also..that can be some eerie shit.
Can't remember where I read it or who the author was, but the jist:

College kid and hunter, did a thesis or something for a doctorate on cardiovascular events and dragging deer (his two loves, hunting and the heart). Essentially said the closest you can get to a heart attack presuming terrain is present along with obstacles, without physically having a heart attack (though some do).

And that's the beginning. Throw in cedars, downed trees, ravines, howling NW wind, blowing sleet, low visibility...

I've had more type 2 fun Whitetail hunting in my youth, than hunting now. Maybe self-preservation, perhaps planned obsolescence.

Edit:Charles j fountaine was the author of the study

Last edited: