Your hunting money

packer58

WKR
Folks are missing a key point: your time and the value your place on it. The premium I place on my time is what I bill clients.

When I did my sheep and grizzly hunt, I kept track of everything. The number of hours exercising, number of hours shooting (including drive times), flight time to/from AK, time off in the field vs time off at the hotel (coming and going), cost of the hunt, roundtrip on the Super Cub, tips, tags, licenses, etc. Not included was taxidermy costs and souvenirs for the family.

That one hunt cost me well over $100K once my time was factored in.

That did not include two Coues hunts in Mexico, one Coues hunt in Arizona, black bear in AZ, and a Nebraska whitetail hunt that same year.
Yep, stop doing that and hunts will at least "seem" cheaper ....

Loggerdude

Lil-Rokslider
I have a separate business account used for side hustle stuff and were frugal debt free and the Lord has blessed us abundantly.
Merry Christmas to all

yoopshoot

Lil-Rokslider
I kept track initially and it made my head spin at the $$$$, however now I view the gear as long term investments and don’t pay near as much attention to the cost of an item versus the need for the item.

Lately I never hide anything gear or hunting related from my wife- I’m sure she keeps track of expenses. It took me a little bit but I realized that I’m a lot better off just being open and telling her I’m buying items X, Y, and Z and that these were needed items . I Probably made a few purchases ( not really financially responsible purchases I may add) too many early in our marriage and tried to hide them, especially since we were in a far different financial situation than we are now. It seemed like when a $500-1000 item showed up on the porch, some fights would ensue lol. Looking back, she was Probably right to be upset. Many of those purchases were wants and not needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ODB

WKR
Wife and I both get an “allowance” from our joint/general fund each month into our personal bank account. I spend it in whatever I want, so does she. Problem solved.

Funny. We do it opposite. We fund a joint account from our personal accounts for bills. Not the other way around. We also save money differently than each other so it allows us that flexibility. But whatever works in the end!

ODB

WKR
Folks are missing a key point: your time and the value your place on it. The premium I place on my time is what I bill clients.

When I did my sheep and grizzly hunt, I kept track of everything. The number of hours exercising, number of hours shooting (including drive times), flight time to/from AK, time off in the field vs time off at the hotel (coming and going), cost of the hunt, roundtrip on the Super Cub, tips, tags, licenses, etc. Not included was taxidermy costs and souvenirs for the family.

That one hunt cost me well over $100K once my time was factored in.

That did not include two Coues hunts in Mexico, one Coues hunt in Arizona, black bear in AZ, and a Nebraska whitetail hunt that same year.

A fair point. I was on a trip in Kenya once that cost me almost a grand a day. People back home thought I was nuts. But for 11 days I had my guides undivided attention, had to pay his way/food/gas/Land Cruiser as well as mine, and kept him out of touch with his family the entire time.

Seemed worth it.

WildBoose

FNG
My wife and I have 4 accounts
1 "big one" where we put the majority of our money and all expenses come out of. We both our own "fun money" account, set allowance, spend how we want. 1 savings account. It works well for us

manitou1

WKR
My wife and I have separate accounts and divide the bills. We both have each other's names on the other's account but only on a few occasions (years ago) has my wife used my account and even then so she asked before using it.
I have never used my wife's account.

Has worked very well for us for over twenty years.

I buy what I want without her complaining and donate to charitable causes of my choice... and vice-versa.

gbflyer

WKR
I work 7 days a week April through October. She makes a home, sends the invoices and pays the bills. When things slow down I usually buy some stuff that I don’t need. I have no idea what she buys, we don’t keep score. Going on 30 years.

Nykki

Lil-Rokslider
We have been married for 44 years. I tell her what I'm buying, no secrets. Both of us have our own accounts but both have access. It's worked well for us as I used to work all over the state and overseas

hunterjmj

WKR
We hide nothing and we both can get whatever we want. We just save and get it done. I don't ask permission but I also don't spend money we don't have or sneak anything. We do finances together twice a week and that way we keep on track.
This is what works for us.

I call my wife the CFO. For hunts or gear, I spec out the gear or get a contract from the outfitter if guided or a float plane booking. From there I hand it off to her to complete the order and pay for.

We do budgets and review spend and financial position(s) monthly…..she does all the accounting, taxes and spreadsheets. Has worked very well for us for 45 years.

She runs her hobbies out of the same funds and buys what she wants with a mention of costs to me.

We joke about the “free” red meat we eat….never bought beef in 45 years.

We have joint savings accounts and separate checking. I don’t ask what she spends on girls night, shopping trips, book club Sundays ( it’s literally just wine and gossip nobody reads anything), or unicorn mom club🙄 and she doesn’t ask what I spend on gear, tags or trips.

I don’t hide it. My wife wants me to have everything I’ve gotten. She understands it’s a lack of time versus money when it comes to putting all my gear to use. Plus, we use it a lot too. She likes backpacking, hiking, fishing, boating, etc…. And, is on board that I bought all this stuff to be able to put in the time if that ever happens.

Rich M

WKR
I tell my wife what i want to do and ask her if she wants to go. If yes, we go. If no, i go w a buddy. Works pretty well.

Our accounts are combined, wouldnt have it another way.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
Have you ever looked at the cost all the stuff you bought for hunting (like shelters, bows, guns, packs, boots, optics, electronics, clothing & boots, your pack(s) and everything in it, vehicle(s), travel, licenses, applications and tags, taxidermy, your entire investment in the pursuit of wild game meat?

If you have, treat it like Hillary's private server emails. If you're married use the delete button till that info is all gone. Trust an old man on this.

View attachment 491616

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
I made arrangements with my fedex and UPS guys to hide anything I get over at the garage lol. my wife tells me all the time that I waste money, but when I say "you don't need 50,000 creams, shampoos etc." she replies with " yes I do and it's my money". when I say the same, I'm told I don't have money it's all hers lol. she just laughs at me when I get caught sneaking boxes.
that sounds likely a needlessly painful way to navigate daily life.

when I got married, our priest said “and now you are one.” He never said “and now you’re are a joint venture.” Not sure how it works or what’s said for people that get married by the government. I guess I’m just unclear of what the point of marriage is if not a promise to tackle life together. The number one reason for divorce is money fights and money problems. Most of that is resolved with transparency. If there is one thing the Church does right, it’s the requirement for pre-marriage counseling.

As far as guys that keep it separate and say neither of you have debt, how do you know if it’s separate? She could have $300k worth a gambling debt and $200k of bad investment debt and as far as the court is concerned, that means you’re in $500k of debt. I know someone that will likely never be able to buy a house because her and her ex did the separate accounts thing and he buried them without her knowing.

Anyways, me and my wife both worked hard and have good careers. We’re both extremely frugal and worked hard together to get out of debt so money isn’t an issue. Had the tough conversations about money up front and we’re both way better off because of it. All the same account and neither of us monitors what the other spends. I do a couple fly out trips each year without much question. She does a girls trip and takes kids to her parents each year. Anything above that we would discuss more but likely wouldn’t be an issue. She feels I’ve earned it and my feeling is mutual towards her. She likes to backpack and be outdoors so we have most of the same gear. Still knocking down weapons with my $700 rifles and $1000 spotter/binos I bought 15 years ago believe it or not! I guess I don’t feel like I spend that much on hunting each year other than airplane time.

Money was a major factor that ended my first and only marriage 3 years ago. Today, the chief financial officer dictates that up to 100% of disposable income is eligible for hunting expenses, gear, tags, and travel. And up to 100% of available extra time and holidays can be dedicated to hunting trips and scouting. Life is good.

Cowbell

WKR
when I got married, our priest said “and now you are one.” He never said “and now you’re are a joint venture.” Not sure how it works or what’s said for people that get married by the government. I guess I’m just unclear of what the point of marriage is if not a promise to tackle life together. The number one reason for divorce is money fights and money problems. Most of that is resolved with transparency. If there is one thing the Church does right, it’s the requirement for pre-marriage counseling.

As far as guys that keep it separate and say neither of you have debt, how do you know if it’s separate? She could have $300k worth a gambling debt and $200k of bad investment debt and as far as the court is concerned, that means you’re in $500k of debt. I know someone that will likely never be able to buy a house because her and her ex did the separate accounts thing and he buried them without her knowing.

Anyways, me and my wife both worked hard and have good careers. We’re both extremely frugal and worked hard together to get out of debt so money isn’t an issue. Had the tough conversations about money up front and we’re both way better off because of it. All the same account and neither of us monitors what the other spends. I do a couple fly out trips each year without much question. She does a girls trip and takes kids to her parents each year. Anything above that we would discuss more but likely wouldn’t be an issue. She feels I’ve earned it and my feeling is mutual towards her. She likes to backpack and be outdoors so we have most of the same gear. Still knocking down weapons with my $700 rifles and $1000 spotter/binos I bought 15 years ago believe it or not! I guess I don’t feel like I spend that much on hunting each year other than airplane time.
This right here. Reading through some of this thread helps me better understand the high divorce rate in society. I know quite a few splits that have resulted due to similar circumstances.

Also, gear is an asset on the balance sheet and if it has good quality, it will be liquidable. My wife and I look at gear just like cash and it helps us justify buying better gear that lasts longer and maintains resale value. The same for vehicles and houses.