Your hunting money

Have you ever looked at the cost all the stuff you bought for hunting (like shelters, bows, guns, packs, boots, optics, electronics, clothing & boots, your pack(s) and everything in it, vehicle(s), travel, licenses, applications and tags, taxidermy, your entire investment in the pursuit of wild game meat?

If you have, treat it like Hillary's private server emails. If you're married use the delete button till that info is all gone. Trust an old man on this.

2busy.gif

Curmudgeon

Lil-Rokslider
This discussion brings to mind my parents back when I was growing up. My dad was an outdoorsman so he would by a new gun, dog, boat motor, etc and when he brought it home my mother would ask the cost and his reply was always $25.00. So one fall he heads off to South Dakota pheasant hunting and while he's gone, my mother proceeds to redo a section of our house with new carpeting and furniture and accessories. My dad gets home and is surprised by the new makeover and invariably asks how much it cost. My mother's reply? You guessed it.........$25.00. Funniest look I ever saw on my dad's face. After I got married I told this story to my wife and now when either of us come home with a new purchase we always know that the cost was $25.00.

This discussion brings to mind my parents back when I was growing up. My dad was an outdoorsman so he would by a new gun, dog, boat motor, etc and when he brought it home my mother would ask the cost and his reply was always $25.00. So one fall he heads off to South Dakota pheasant hunting and while he's gone, my mother proceeds to redo a section of our house with new carpeting and furniture and accessories. My dad gets home and is surprised by the new makeover and invariably asks how much it cost. My mother's reply? You guessed it.........$25.00. Funniest look I ever saw on my dad's face. After I got married I told this story to my wife and now when either of us come home with a new purchase we always know that the cost was $25.00.
Great story!!

Ive plateaued with my hunting gear spending the past two years. But i added everything up and broke it down by a monthly cost over a ten year period. It included my gear, guns, gas, license, ammo, clothes, subs to hunting magazines and what not, literally everything I spent related to hunting.

My monthly cost was still less than what my wife spendings on average a month for hair, nails, brows, and random ‘look what was on sale’ purchases. I don’t say shit to her and she don’t say shit to me (especially after we compared costs). We have a budget we are both aware of monthly and each spend within it. She also is aware I go months spending nothing then make a few large purchases one or two months.

Also when buying stuff I almost never paid full price if I can avoid it - something my wife taught me. I save it and wait for the sale to come. Or I buy on here. I also try to sell something on here to make at least half of the cost of the new thing I want.

But there are still a lot of things I want. Just can’t sell enough to make half of the costs now that I am after bigger ticket items!

Fullfan

WKR
My wife has a horse, a barn for the horse, a trailer to haul the horse, and a truck to pull the trailer.
I don’t have to hide anything from my wife but my wallet.
In the same boat, my lady has two that only go around barrels and poles. 80k truck to pull the 20k trailer, no worries on me spending what I want on hunting. Told her there were going west to be pack animals. That has not happened.

I’ll be telling my wife this one. Great story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Before we got married we had to meet with a preacher. His one piece of advice was to have a joint account that we both put money into for shared bills, and then separate accounts for whatever is left over. We don't fight over money and we don't ask each other how much something cost.

Our disagreements/my asks are always around the time. Time is much more precious than money. None of us knows how much of it we have.

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
My wife has a horse, a barn for the horse, a trailer to haul the horse, and a truck to pull the trailer.
I don’t have to hide anything from my wife but my wallet.
You could have stopped typing at “horse”
😂
My ex competed and did well in the upper level of showing .
Their shirts cost more than my custom rifle. Seen plenty of saddles that cost more than my truck.
When she asked how much my Ranger bass boat cost her response was “oh that’s pretty cheap”
I about puked 😂😂😂

Wife and I both get an “allowance” from our joint/general fund each month into our personal bank account. I spend it in whatever I want, so does she. Problem solved.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
Why? My wife and I have an arrangement where I'm afforded a budget for my gear and 'adventures'

It's never been a huge budget, but it gets me hunting.
That's what we do. We each have our own spending accounts, and we spend it however we want. No need to justify a purchase or argue about cost.

ewade07

WKR
My soon to be wife and I have separate and plan to keep separate finances. Problem solved.

Wrench

WKR
I hand my wife 5 grand a month. If that's not enough, she's doing it wrong. The other 3 or 4 goes into my hunting, fishing and shooting accounts.

I seriously have a problem...but I accept myself and my faults.