Your go to Broadheads!?

Shepardg

FNG
What’s everyone’s go to broadhead for mule deer and elk? Also whats your affective range with them? How tight are you grouping?
Just got 125 grain Iron wills last year love them on my whitetail. Haven’t tried them past 40. I’m curious how they will group further down range.

I don’t hunt elk or mulies but I’ve always been an expandable guy for whitetail. I am planning, after extensive research, to go with some Grim Reaper micro hades 125 grain this year. Last time I hunted with a fixed broadhead was in the 80s and I had Bear razor heads. I’m excited for the change.

ATL

FNG
Fixed blade: Slick Trick Standard 100. Have used since approximately 2008. Taken several Elk with excellent performance, and good flight to at least 50 yards.

Mechanical: Sevr 1.5 100. First mech’ ever used, last season for Whitetail, was more than pleased with performance.

Many good broadheads are available now. If I ever switch heads, I will look for the same characteristics to the proven heads I mentioned.

TheCoyote

FNG
Im a big fan of a 3 blade just because it punches a hole that doesn't easily close up. Fixed blade all the way for me, even though many awesome bowhunters use mechanicals with success.

Your Iron Wills are probably pretty damn awesome. they make a great product. Have you tried shooting them at longer distances?

IMO steel furle is better than aluminum. look at Lusk Archery Adventures on YouTube, that guy is awesome.

This is a picture of a entry wound on my elk last fall. The exit wound looks exactly the same. The arrow went through the ELK and suck in a tree on the other side. Garden hose blood trail. Oh, and I was shooting 60lb bow. I am a true believer in a sharp and durable fixed blade.

Attachments

• 063091E2-14B5-4512-AFC7-B536EF88924D.jpeg
    063091E2-14B5-4512-AFC7-B536EF88924D.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 17
Shoot what you have confidence in to hit behind your pin.

It's not uncommon for me to have 5 different broadheads in my quiver.

I think an Exodus swept blade is hard to beat for a fixed blade, forgiving head that's kinda economical. But many with slightly thinner blades that are just as forgiving and likely don't actually sacrifice much.

Mechanical is hard to beat in flight as long as you aren't using them to by pass tuning issues.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
Been shooting boring ole muzzy 3 blade 100's since 2004 (if I recall correctly).

They shoot very well, are tough and reliable. Never had a reason to change. Matter of fact, been using the same 6 pack for a decade, just put fresh blades in the ones that get run through an animal and use old blades for practice

Used them on blacktail, whitetail, blackbear, elk from 3 different bows.

Animals taken from 5 to 56 yards (56 being the elk in my avatar).

Been shooting boring ole muzzy 3 blade 100's since 2004 (if I recall correctly).

They shoot very well, are tough and reliable. Never had a reason to change. Matter of fact, been using the same 6 pack for a decade, just put fresh blades in the ones that get run through an animal and use old blades for practice

Used them on blacktail, whitetail, blackbear, elk since from 3 different bows.

Animals taken from 5 to 56 yards (56 being the elk in my avatar).
Naw man that’s awesome. That’s the reason I’m going with the Grimm reapers. I’m going back to a style that I remember everyone shooting 20 years ago.

nphunter

WKR
For me it’s been the G5 dead meat expandable. They shoot awesome way past what I would shoot at an animal, I’ve shot them out to 100.

I’m shooting 27.5” draw, 70lbs and 450-500gr arrows and have mostly had pass throughs with them on elk. I’m trying a new head this year just because but I have a pile of dead meats I won’t get rid of.

Another one for the Slick Trick! Started using them in 2011 so has my father. I Tried other brands and then came back to them and have used them as my preferred fixed blade for the past 3 years. I have taken two bears and just returned from a New Zealand hunt with my dad (also Slick Trick user). We took 3 animals with them, two red stag and an arapawa ram. We used both the slick trick standard and magnum. You can get them for a 4 pack for $35 on amazon which is pretty awesome. They make big holes and fly great.

I am broadhead tuned to 75yrds with the standards. I carry grim reaper 3 blade mechs in the quiver two. They are my follow up long bomb's if needed.

Dad carries an iron will in the quiver along with the Slick trick's and grim reaper mechs too.

As others mentioned I don't think there is the "one" brand/broadhead. Lots of good stuff out their. I like to carry different heads in the quiver for different situations. I usually carry 4 slick tricks 2 standard and 2 magnum and 1 mech (grim reaper). I would purchase an Iron will as I think they are superior materials, but I can get a 4 pack slick trick for the price of one Iron will and can't bring myself to do it as I ahve just been really happy with the Slick Tricks.

Whichever is the sharpest. Then whichever is the sharpest AND groups the best out to 70.

Slick Trick Raptor Trick for mechanicals was impressive.

G5 Montec M3 is crazy quiet and accurate
Microhades Pro 3 blade

Usually keep 3 of the micro hades and 2 of the raptor tricks or an expandable shwacker

OP
S

Shepardg

FNG
Im a big fan of a 3 blade just because it punches a hole that doesn't easily close up. Fixed blade all the way for me, even though many awesome bowhunters use mechanicals with success.

Your Iron Wills are probably pretty damn awesome. they make a great product. Have you tried shooting them at longer distances?

IMO steel furle is better than aluminum. look at Lusk Archery Adventures on YouTube, that guy is awesome.

This is a picture of an entry wound on my elk last fall. The exit wound looks exactly the same. The arrow went through the ELK and suck in a tree on the other side. Garden hose blood trail. Oh, and I was shooting 60lb bow. I am a true believer in a sharp and durable fixed blade.
I didn’t have much of a reason to push them past 40 last year so no I didn’t. Headed west this year so I will see what I can get out of them. I’ve seen some videos of guys shooting them out to 100 so I’ve got faith after a little rest tune I should be able to get them a good distance down range with accuracy. I would still like that shot inside 40 but realize this is not always possible!

Exodus is a really good head for basically all applications shooting 60+ #. Rage trypans are also very durable and cut a huge hole.

Deadmeat v1 125grs were a really good head, but the aluminum threaded post on the 100s is a weak point, and the new v2s have much thinner blades, which I do not like. I don't consider the deadmeat v2 a good elk head, especially the 100 gr version.

Mish-pop

Lil-Rokslider
Started with Montec G5 but was having issues with groups. Later learned that was more the older bow I started with and my inexperience. I then moved on to Slick Trick Grizz Trick with grouped better. I now have newer bow and use the Slick Trick Viper Trick which group the best and just about right with my field points. They have grouped well to 60-70 yds for me. I have been extremely happy with Slick Trick but there are so many good options out today. I just prefer fixed versus mechanical. I have not shot any elk with a bow but have taken 4 mulies