Your favorite hunting knife?

I have several. My oldest is a plain old USA made Buck hunting knife. I also have a nice Puma that works well.

My favorite, and many of you will scoff at this, is a Cutco. My stepson sold Cutco knives while he was in high school and college. He gave me one for Christmas. I looked at it, handled it and feigned gratitude. Actually, I did appreciate the kind gesture. I stuck it in my safe, never expecting to use it. It is somewhat heavy. It doesn't feel great in the hand. I expected it to be difficult to finesse.

I finally decided to give it a try. Sweet baby Haysoos, that knife is incredible. It is so easy to get downright surgical with it. I am sure there is someone out there who has actually tried one and didn't like it, but everyone I have talked to who has used one has loved it. https://www.cutco.com/p/clip-point-outdoor-knife

BDWMT

FNG
Another option. At first I bought a custom knife then started making them many years ago. Lots of great options from small makers are available and typically much better values for a quality knife than the mass producers.
IMG_6092_jpg.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5559.jpeg
    IMG_5559.jpeg
    581.8 KB · Views: 39
IMG_2726.JPG

IMG_2731.JPG

I'm still very happy with this Bark River EXT-1 in S45VN. The blade thickness and profile seem pretty much ideal to me, and the ergonomics are pretty great, too.

IMG_4136.jpg

Last edited:

Cheesy

FNG
Favorite knife would be like picking my favorite rifle or favorite kid.

Saturday a Tim Olt with box elder scales got the call.

IMG-1145.jpg

Closeup from summer when it was on corn duty...
IMG-7040.jpg

................., but at some point their steel technology becomes obsolete.....................

ORLY.??@!!!

That makes zero sense. A good knife is a good knife. For butchering I use my wife's grandma's knives. Case XX . They were made somewhere about 1940. When I got them, they needing some massaging on benchstones to get them back into shape. They are easy to sharpen and a knife steel whips them into shape when they slow down. I might like them more than I like my higher end kitchen knives.

I cut out the remainder of your statement out, but I'll address it. I'd say 98% of people do not know how to sharpen a knife. Mostly because "its something they have to learn" so they just buy replaceeable blades types.

Maybe you miscommunicated, but there are no obsolete steels. Just poor choice of application or user neglect(which the user usually blames the knife for)

Knives come and go. Havalon is small enough that I keep one in the pack. Have a handfull of Mora's floating around the pickups and what not. There is a place for knives that you dont care about :ROFLMAO:

Been dragging this thing around for years. Pretty fond of it.

20231115_071236.jpg

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Knives come and go. Havalon is small enough that I keep one in the pack. Have a handfull of Mora's floating around the pickups and what not. There is a place for knives that you dont care about :ROFLMAO:

Been dragging this thing around for years. Pretty fond of it.

View attachment 627479
Looks like you're ready to be able to cleave your way out of the amazon! That thing is crazy cool.