Your brain on microplastics?

SWOHTR

WKR
Just my opinion based on my thoughts and it's worth exactly what you paid for it (nothing): I think we're going to find that plastics are the common link to cancer that we've been searching for. Kind of like how we eventually figured out lead piping wasn't great for our health.

Not super duper concerned about it, hell if they could use beetle kill to make cartons I have about 300 million trees in Co they can come collect haha
I'm not really either. I just work there. I worked in oil and gas for 18 years before I went to manufacturing. I could see fallacies in some of the processes in producing and completing wells and I'm sure there are some in bottling with plastics. I'm an engineer so I'm a fan of having as much data and facts to make an informed decision, just sharing what I have.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I'm not really either. I just work there. I worked in oil and gas for 18 years before I went to manufacturing. I could see fallacies in some of the processes in producing and completing wells and I'm sure there are some in bottling with plastics. I'm an engineer so I'm a fan of having as much data and facts to make an informed decision, just sharing what I have.
Good point. And not that we have to make cartons for the world, but who knows maybe we could revive a dying logging industry in the west and manage our forest so they don’t turn into mega fire every time they burn. It’s all a balancing act. Also I wouldn’t be surprised if there is some plastic coating on cartons which doesn’t really help us.

ChrisA

WKR
Lets see here man, 3 lb average human brain x 0.5% microplastics x 16 oz/lb= nearly a quarter ounce of microplastics...whoa dude; that's heavy, real heavy.

Pass the fluoride

Last edited:

squid-freshprints

Lil-Rokslider
Read some articles today about this study (admittedly not peer reviewed yet), saying that the average American brain in their study was 0.5% microplastics. I’m not aware of any particular study definitively linking microplastics to health conditions in humans, but that can’t be good.

I haven’t thrown away my Nalgene or camelback but I’m avoiding disposable bottles. Kind of ironic for my hippy dippy granola-lite friends that won’t touch tap water because of the “toxins” but slurp down polymer soup bottled by your choice of multinational corporation. (Also, water safety standards for bottled water are lower than tap water.)
Ive been eating picromlastics all my life and i turnes out fine!

In response to PFAS, testing is showing that most bottled water contains at least some PFAS as well as a good potion of municipal drinking water (likely the source for bottled water). It’s hard to tell if levels are “safe” as the MCLs and RSLs for some chains for certain media are now below the current laboratory method’s limits of detection. As we learn more, it’s likely we get to the point where the data shows there is no safe ingestion level for PFAS. I use that data accordingly when deciding to consume products that may contain PFAS. Not worth the risk - especially for my children.

IdahoElk

WKR
The benefits of flouride for children far outweigh any risk to a few points of IQ......of course in the proper %. Would you rather have a handful of kids with a few points lower IQ, meaning nothing in reality, or all kids walking around with rotted or no teeth? Yeah, keep reading bullshit!
My town doesn't add Fluoride to its water and kids aren't walking around with rotted or no teeth? I know lots of people on well water and no Fluoride, They have teeth?

hikenhunt

WKR
I'd have to do some digging as to how they came up with the 547 days. If it's like anything else with testing standards, I'm sure that is worst case scenario and most likely would be ok further out. Just like any other grocery item that has a best by date, you've most likely noticed a lot of items are good longer then the date given (except milk, I never trust milk). If it's stored outside in the heat and sun, of course it would degrade at a faster rate then something in a temp controlled room, indoors. Almost all of our facilities are not temp controlled with the exception of very hot and humid areas (Houston, new Orleans, Miami, etc).

As far as whether or not tap is better then bottled. We are taking water from a local utility and then further purifying it. If the FDA is requiring the local utility to do the testing you speak of and then we take it and purify it and test it further and reduce the particulates by a factor of 20x. You tell me which you'd rather drink?
You seem to know what you're talking about regarding bottled water, but you're directly comparing a product with a 547-day shelf life to one that is consumed immediately 99.9% of the time. I would sure hope bottled water is purified further.

I'm curious if there is any testing is done on bottled water after production, say 1 month, 3 months, 12 months, etc. later.

My town doesn't add Fluoride to its water and kids aren't walking around with rotted or no teeth? I know lots of people on well water and no Fluoride, They have teeth?
There is probably enough naturally occurring fluoride in your source water that it provides enough.

You seem to know what you're talking about regarding bottled water, but you're directly comparing a product with a 547-day shelf life to one that is consumed immediately 99.9% of the time. I would sure hope bottled water is purified further.

I'm curious if there is any testing is done on bottled water after production, say 1 month, 3 months, 12 months, etc. later.
I don't work directly in the QA department so I'd have to check how long exactly we keep products. We take samples of any product when a new run starts. There is a large QA cage where all of these samples are kept. There are stringent SQF standards that apply to all of these things. There are audits by several different governing agencies and audits done internally. There are whole departments dedicated to testing and quality for corporate and corporate offsight. I started off in the technical engineering and we had to do extensive R & D for preventative maintenance, torque specs, fill rate for fill valves, torque values for cappers, labelers glue temps and adhesive longevity. They wouldn't do all of this without having their ducks in a row on the water itself.