Your brain on microplastics?

Tell me what you're considering bacteria. I work in water distribution and obviously if you're using tap, there has to be a chlorine risidual. Municipal water is tested for total coliform regularly which is an indicator for certain types of bacteria. That's about all that they care about. Yearly, you must report results from other tests such as lead, etc..
We test for chlorine every shift, has to be less then 0.08 ppm and is typically much lower then that (0.002 ppm). The in line sensor and the handheld have to be within +-0.04ppm. There are redundancies with all the testing which is being checked at the water farm after it's been purified by reverse osmosis and then at the filler with the water quality management system. Either should shut the line down if they get too far out of spec.

I was saying all this to say, that bottled water is much safer to drink then tap water. Yes the plastic breaks down after a year and a half (547 days) and you should drink it before. There are plastic liners in aluminum cans, so even if you're drinking liquid death, you're still ingesting plastic.

The benefits of flouride for children far outweigh any risk to a few points of IQ......of course in the proper %. Would you rather have a handful of kids with a few points lower IQ, meaning nothing in reality, or all kids walking around with rotted or no teeth? Yeah, keep reading bullshit!

You would have to drink hundreds of gallons of water to see benefit of fluorinated water. Higher benefit comes from fluorinated toothpaste or even better from foods like Asparagus and Spinach

Yoder

WKR
Do you actually trust the government, big food, big pharma, FDA, CDC? From what I can tell, they have been poisoning us all for the last 60 years or so. Everyone is fat, sick, autism is through the roof, food allergies are crazy. Also, plastics and pesticides are lowering testosterone and increasing estrogen. It's lowered the age girls in the US go into puberty. You don't think this could also affect boys being trans or gay? What happens when you give little boys estrogen? The numbers are so crazy it can't be just coincidence. It's not conspiracy, why do you think they stopped using PBA? They got sued for boys growing breasts. Look this stuff up. Don't dismiss it as crazy nonsense. Not on MSNBC either. It seems to me, that our government hates us. They are willing to sacrifice all of our health for profit. I pray to God Trump gets in and turns RFK loose on the entire system.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I'd be more concerned with fluoride in your drinking water.

Did anyone read this? I got on my wife, a dentist for this. She is very hippy dippy, yet isn’t anti fluoride. The drop is a supposed 4IQ point variance and they couldn’t specifically point to fluoride, I wouldn’t say that it is the damming evidence that some think it is

Yoder

WKR
So if you wanted to take down the US and bring in a Global government without a war, how would you do it?

Destroy fighting aged men. Well, we made most of them obese and sluggish with terrible food and lowering testosterone. Then lowered their IQ.

Collapse the economy. They have done pretty well at this the last four years. Four more years and it will be over.

Allow society to fail, like California. Destroy our morals and values. Release criminals, allow drugs and homeless people to overrun everything.

Open the border and allow actual men, (not doughy useless men like we have) come in by the millions. Even better if they hate America.

Once everything gets bad enough, we will welcome Globalists to come save us.

After seeing them start the Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan all based on lies and what they did during covid, I truly believe they want to destroy us. Anything for money and power. The media and the government have one thing in common, they want to destroy Trump. So who do you think you should trust?

I know I'm just a crazy right wing conspiracy theorist but I don't care.

fwafwow

WKR
Did anyone read this? I got on my wife, a dentist for this. She is very hippy dippy, yet isn’t anti fluoride. The drop is a supposed 4IQ point variance and they couldn’t specifically point to fluoride, I wouldn’t say that it is the damming evidence that some think it is
I suggest reading that court case. We have taken a more stringent stance on other chemicals for less material IQ reductions.

OP
canyonhunter47
I work for the largest private water bottling company in north America. The water we bring into our plants is local tap water unless it's spring water and then it's trucked in. The specific plant I work in the water comes in somewhere around 135 ppm of particles or bacteria and after we've purified it, that number is 6 ppm. The standards for testing and quality control for bottled water are much higher then tap water. You wouldn't want to drink water straight from the line due to ozone being added to further ensure that all bacteria is killed. The normal dissipation time for the ozone is 48 hours and longer in the winter months due to the cold.
I’m sure your company as major brand holds themselves to a higher standard, which is great, and rules for contaminant levels are more or less comparable between FDA (bottled water) and EPA (tap water). BUT the FDA generally requires less sampling and less transparency. For example, E. coli weekly testing for bottlers while utilities test more frequently (except for tiny wells). And you can easily look up water utilities test results and violations. I’m not aware of anything similar for bottlers.

And the FDA lags behind the EPA in regulating compounds. Right now you can see this with PFAS — the EPA’s regulations are a bit complex but range from 2-5 parts per trillion for the six compounds they are targeting. The FDA is required to look into it since the EPA did, but hasn’t established anything yet.
The reason bottled water has a best by date is not due to the water expiring but the plastic starts breaking down after 547 days. Even though we have water lines that are capable of making 200k bottles per hour, every bottle has a date code that is updated to the minute that the bottle was made.
How was the 547 days arrived at? Is that the best case scenario in ideal conditions, the average case, or worst case scenario? That doesn’t really seem to be borne out by the article cited in the beginning or publicized tests like this one.

Last edited:

fwafwow

WKR
We test for chlorine every shift, has to be less then 0.08 ppm and is typically much lower then that (0.002 ppm). The in line sensor and the handheld have to be within +-0.04ppm. There are redundancies with all the testing which is being checked at the water farm after it's been purified by reverse osmosis and then at the filler with the water quality management system. Either should shut the line down if they get too far out of spec.

I was saying all this to say, that bottled water is much safer to drink then tap water. Yes the plastic breaks down after a year and a half (547 days) and you should drink it before. There are plastic liners in aluminum cans, so even if you're drinking liquid death, you're still ingesting plastic.
Serious question - what do you drink? I’m looking at some filter options for my tap water (including activated alumina filters), or maybe having drinking water (ideally without fluoride) delivered in the large jugs. I don’t have any kids anymore, but if I’m wrong and none of what’s in the tap water is bad for me, then I’m only out money. (I’m not worried about my personal dental risk.)

Hnthrdr

WKR
I suggest reading that court case. We have taken a more stringent stance on other chemicals for less material IQ reductions.
I’m with you guys, yet don’t you think that possibly the drop in IQ could also be attributed to micro plastics?

amassi

WKR
I’m with you guys, yet don’t you think that possibly the drop in IQ could also be attributed to micro plastics?

They aren’t helping that’s for sure
Microplastics now make up .5% of the average American brain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WaWox

Lil-Rokslider
there are plenty of other studies that also link fluoride to IQ loss in children.
We always knew that *very high* values of fluoride cause severe issues in children -- we have plenty of data from parts of the planet where well water has obscene amounts of fluoride. The unknown component was how much these negative effects scale down with reducing the fluoride amount in water. The standard medical thought was that under some level it's "safe". The problem is that if you have small sample sizes, then small harms are not detectable and get "rounded down" to 0. But I care about small harms, too, and modern bigger studies have been able to identify small harms from small amounts of fluoride. Given that on the converse there is *also* no real evidence for fluoride helping teeth (again, Europe doesn't do this, Berkley California doesnt do this, ... and their teeth are fine!) why risk it?

I’m sure your company as major brand holds themselves to a higher standard, which is great, and rules for contaminant levels are more or less comparable between FDA (bottled water) and EPA (tap water). BUT the FDA generally requires less sampling and less transparency. For example, E. coli weekly testing for bottlers while utilities test more frequently (except for tiny wells). And you can easily look up water utilities test results and violations. I’m not aware of anything similar for bottlers.

And the FDA lags behind the EPA in regulating compounds. Right now you can see this with PFAS — the EPA’s regulations are a bit complex but range from 2-5 parts per trillion for the six compounds they are targeting. The FDA is required to look into it since the EPA did, but hasn’t established anything yet.

How was the 547 days arrived at? Is that the best case scenario in ideal conditions, the average case, or worst case scenario? That doesn’t really seem to be borne out by the article cited in the beginning or publicized tests like this one.
I'd have to do some digging as to how they came up with the 547 days. If it's like anything else with testing standards, I'm sure that is worst case scenario and most likely would be ok further out. Just like any other grocery item that has a best by date, you've most likely noticed a lot of items are good longer then the date given (except milk, I never trust milk). If it's stored outside in the heat and sun, of course it would degrade at a faster rate then something in a temp controlled room, indoors. Almost all of our facilities are not temp controlled with the exception of very hot and humid areas (Houston, new Orleans, Miami, etc).

As far as whether or not tap is better then bottled. We are taking water from a local utility and then further purifying it. If the FDA is requiring the local utility to do the testing you speak of and then we take it and purify it and test it further and reduce the particulates by a factor of 20x. You tell me which you'd rather drink?

Serious question - what do you drink? I’m looking at some filter options for my tap water (including activated alumina filters), or maybe having drinking water (ideally without fluoride) delivered in the large jugs. I don’t have any kids anymore, but if I’m wrong and none of what’s in the tap water is bad for me, then I’m only out money. (I’m not worried about my personal dental risk.)
We have a water softener at our home, but I opted not to buy the more expensive water purifier for the house. We have extra filters at the fridge and such for cooking. I drink bottled water and provide bottled water for friends and family if they ask. I made my mother throw away some she had stored in her cellar that was past the best by date.

We did have some products from one of our asceptic plants (prime, Gatorade, peak tea, etc) that was given to us for free, that was close on the date and we drank it anyways.

dylanvb

WKR
I have been trying to purge my house of plastics around food/drinkables. I forget what episode of Rogan it was but he had a lady on who was studying these issues extensively and once I listened to that episode was when I started to switch things.

CMF

WKR
Instead of putting questionable chemicals in our water to fix problems. We could just cut back on all the excess sugars and crap food. You know-the real causes of all those cavities.....
100% agree, as I sit here eating cheesecake...

See below from the google, I had heard this before.

Archaeological evidence shows that cavities were rare in humans until the Neolithic period, which began around 6,000 years ago. Here are some examples of archaeological evidence of cavities:

The increase in cavities coincided with the transition from hunting and gathering to farming, which introduced grains and carbohydrates into the diet. The prevalence of cavities continued to increase with the addition of more sugar to diets.

fwafwow

WKR
It could be from a variety of sources, but the studies referenced in the decision (or at least most of them) compared two populations - ones that have fluoridated water, and another that doesn't. Presumably both groups have exposure to microplastics. The decision does not hold that fluoride causes the IQ drop - but only that there is enough of a risk that the EPA has to take more action - by rulemaking or otherwise.