You like your truck camper shell for Hunting?

Austin915

FNG
Camper shells are great for lots of uses and keeping everything dry and secure. Only downside is not fitting taller items like an Atv. If you don’t mind hauling a trailer or can rig up a lift in the garage to remove it by yourself then there’s no reason to not get one! Keep an eye on fb marketplace as you can find them paint matched for a fraction of the cost

yfarm

WKR
Caravan topper shells in Reno NV have a vent system at the front of the topper roof that supposedly pressurizes the topper and eliminates dust. I have sealed my tailgate with bulb seal but still get dust in altho reduced. Have thought about installing a solar powered marine vent on the front to pull air in, anybody done this?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
As a taller guy and stomach/side sleeper I've found that an 8 foot bed is an absolute necessity for camping in a truck bed. Also, a standard 8x4 piece of radiant barrier plywood lays down perfectly in the bed for a bed base. A queen size, good quality memory foam topper can easily be cut to width as a base for your sleeping bag or other bedding. I layer the radiant barrier plywood, memory foam topper, a down blanket, and then properly rated bag for the outside temps. Always super warm and cozy. It's a great option if you need a break or weather turns to crap and the trail head is close enough.

Some of the hunting I did in the sierras had excellent deer spots within just 2 miles or less of the truck parked on a forest service road or at a trail head. Could set up a really cushy base camp and pack everything away safely in the truck bed while I'm out for the days/evenings. Didn't always hunt that way but always nice to have the option.

Sounds like a lot of guys should have got a 4wd van. I use my bed a lot and a cap would be in the way a lot.
I looked at that, like, intensely.

the year i looked, say aroudn 2020/21 ish, fords next year model of the transit was going to come with awd as an option and a crew van setup (2 fronts, and a 3 bench rear slightly set back farther than the passenger setup if i recall)...

Heck, i even bought a dana 50 off a 2000s era f250 in the even i stumbled upon a good E250/350 passenger or otherwise, and had most the parts sans driveshaft...and was looking...

but that was covid car market. Ended up making too good of a deal to pass up on a couple year old, low mileage f150 ccrb

I think they are damn near essential. As the OP mentioned there is the security, from people and from bears. I sleep in mine regularly, also nice in bear country. Have slept with my boy under my topper before in grizz country. Think I could mount an effective pistol defense from there. My truck is my hunting truck, so I keep a large cooler with my gear in there almost year round, so it's almost a little storage container for me.

There are cons. There is the cost, the added weight, and hit to gas mileage. For comparison on my Tacoma I was getting 20 to 21 highway naked, and 17 with the topper on due to the added drag. I can't load my dirt bike in the bed with the topper on so I had to buy a hitch mount, more cost and weight, and I added air bags so the ass doesn't sag (more cost).

Most of my friends have toppers, the others have those folding lid things.

36d1342fe6035bb95e39c8c07741675a.jpg

Can’t imagine going back to a truck without one. Put the swing cases in on both sides for tool/crap organizers. Use the Beaver Sled the bull is traveling in for various hunting/utility purposes. Have an ARE V series cap with single LED light strip and sliding vented pet windows. Have slept in it a few times when hunting locally. I’d say go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkyinzer

WKR
We call them caps around here but no way I'd own a truck without one. Add a deck system whether basic DIY plywood or the gucci model with drawers and stuff for the gram and you've got a fully functional hunting and fishing machine. The deck adds storage but also hides valuables. At 6' I can sleep in my 5.5' bed no problem a night or two at a time but I don't think I'd want to do it for a week.

20220720_183452.jpg

Just picked up a new pickup, and thinking about the topper route for the first time. Never had one on my prior trucks because I used to haul my Trail 110s around a lot more than I do now.

New rig is an F-150 with a 2.7 v6, which I sought out partially for increased fuel economy.

So question: what is the impact of toppers on your MPG? I will not be placing top racks on my topper.

OP
L

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
I got a canopy a few years ago for my truck used from a car dealer after looking on Craigslist and OfferUp for 6 months or so. It is a pretty much fully loaded ARE with led strip lights, folding window to clean the truck window, sliding glass for the rear window, has the electric lock wired into the truck door locks and the vent side windows. The pop out vent side windows is the only thing I would change but I picked it up for $500 and it was the correct color.

I typically put mine on when turkey starts and take it off when deer/elk season is over or I tag out. I bout a harbor freight hoist and use that set up in my garage so it’s a easy process and I can do it solo now vs having help taking it on and off.
Been looking at something similar. Like that.

Don’t get side sliding. You can vent out cab window. Fold out windows saves a lot of cussing when something rolls to the front

CCooper

WKR
I have had one on the last 2 trucks and wouldn't be without one again. pro's outweigh the cons for me. Showing up to elk or deer camp with everything dry after driving in the rain all day is awesome.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I have a GMC Yukon XL. I have spent untold number of nights sleeping in there, always with one or more GSP's. I have a 7'x 6"x 36" mattress out of a travel trailer. Many nights solo camping along side Mt. rivers, meadows, and the desert while chasing small game. More than enough room. The wife even spent a few nights in there with me on various outings.

I found that my F150 4x4 is too tall to make the win-doors useful. Will not be paying extra for that again. Same with folding cab-end window. Might consider solid sides next time (there's plenty of accidental ventilation for my needs). I keep a long-handled garden implement in mine to grab out-of-reach stuff when there are no short people around.

Single latch handle broke off backing into a bush, so I keep a big screwdriver in the driver door. After 8 years the latches are mostly worn out too. I think I'm going to try having two handles on the tailgate door next time.

Fiberglass is quieter than aluminum. Neither is as warm as a tent.
Shell counts as "covered" when I take trash to the transfer station, so that saves a few $/trip.
I noticed on my V8 Dakota that the cap improved fuel economy by 2-3 mpg. Haven't paid attention since then.

Installed a short bunk bed for kids. Used plywood and a chuck of 2x4 cross-wise at rail height near the cab. I can stretch underneath that when we sleep in the back. I sometimes store an extra spare tire up there too.

On the rare occasions that I run out of room for storage inside the shell, I can put my 40-year old Yakima racks on top of the shell (3 positions) and the truck cab (1 position) for bikes and boats.

collinjet

FNG
I have a 6 foot bed Tacoma and was convinced I was going to purchase a cap to sleep in the back. I really wanted a Leer XR until I saw they mounted with 2 connections on each side to the bed rail. I watched a couple videos on it and saw people were having troubles with the cap shifting. Does anyone have any expirence with off-roading and camper shells on a Tacoma? Anyone have any input on caps to look at?

j_volt

WKR
I love my topper, and cannot see myself ever having a truck without one. I have never slept in it, but use it for stacking gear and keeping it (relatively) secure on trips. My current shell has the flip out windows, and those are awesome. I am 6'3 which helps with reaching inside the side windows. The side windows limit the crawling inside the back for gear. I have a 2019 Ram which was a new body style that year. I looked for nearly a year, but eventually found and bought mine used, and believe I paid $400.

SouthPaw

WKR
Just picked up a new pickup, and thinking about the topper route for the first time. Never had one on my prior trucks because I used to haul my Trail 110s around a lot more than I do now.

New rig is an F-150 with a 2.7 v6, which I sought out partially for increased fuel economy.

So question: what is the impact of toppers on your MPG? I will not be placing top racks on my topper.
Adding the camper shell had zero impact on the fuel economy of my 2.7L F150. The added weight of the topper probably offset by less air resistance a streamlined roof.

I have a 6 foot bed Tacoma and was convinced I was going to purchase a cap to sleep in the back. I really wanted a Leer XR until I saw they mounted with 2 connections on each side to the bed rail. I watched a couple videos on it and saw people were having troubles with the cap shifting. Does anyone have any expirence with off-roading and camper shells on a Tacoma? Anyone have any input on caps to look at?
I’ve run a high top Ranch topper on my 1st gen Tacoma off-road for many miles. some of those have been serious off roading. I’be had the two connection points on each side for those miles and have not notice any shifting of the topper. I recently replaced the gasket and went with 3 connections on each side, not from concern about shifting but to try and get a better compression on the gasket.

Nothing to be worried about. My tundra is set up the same way with an ARE. Zero shifting issues with plenty of off road miles over the last 5 years.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk