Yoga

Takeem406

WKR
Anyone guy here admit to doing yoga? I've been doing it off and on for a while. Not in a huge class, just at home with a DVD.

Seems like a great way to build insurance and flexibility and mix up a routine.

Anyone know of any good at home yoga movies? I currently have the P90x but I'd like I add something else.

AdamW

WKR
Is this a trap? :D I've been to hot yoga a few times with my wife; she is an addict and goes 5+ times per week. It is a killer for me. 60-90 minutes of 110 degrees. You aren't going to get jacked going to yoga but you're nuts if you think yogis aren't strong as well as flexible. Both of which are valuable in and out of the woods IMO. Just saw the husband of the owner of our local yoga spot was on a caribou hunt not too long ago. Might have to hit more classes. :D

OP
Takeem406

Takeem406

WKR
What app are you using?
I tried to get my wife to try it Saturday afternoon, she was done in the first 10 minutes lol! But the fat furry husband loves it... Go figure!

Salix

FNG
I've been doing the yoga thing for 5-6 years now. Prefer a class over the at home DVDs, more variety in the classes. Started as rehab of a sports injury, now it's more as preventative maintenance for the body. For me it's all about the stretching and workout, not the zen of it. However it can teach you to zen through the pain of packing a large pack full of elk quarters down a mountain.

sure , I do yoga along with swimming, pushups etc but no tapes. take a couple of classes and come up with your routine,
sunrise salutation is a good start. strength,balance , flexibility,awareness and breath controls are all benefits.

OP
Takeem406

Takeem406

WKR
Yeah there's a whole religious thing/zen side of it. I don't get into that, but I love the physical benefits. Especially corpse pose! My favorite!

Whisky

WKR
I did part of the p90x yoga DVD once. Does that count? Got pissed off and haven't touched it since. I'd rather do an hour of burpees. I'm not flexible at all....F yoga.

I know there are a lot of guys who say F yoga, and I can understand that. It's pretty touchy, feely, zen/religious jargon that can steer a guy away. However, the benefits of yoga are definitely worth it. Call it stretching or whatever you want, but it's probably going to more for you than not doing it at all.

For me, I know that I sleep better and don't wake up stiff and sore if I have done some sort of stretching prior to going to bed.

I can't seem to understand why guys will spend all this time working out for hours and months to do a single hunt in the backcountry, but not compliment it with some sort of stretching routine. Pro and elite athletes make this a priority, but because we are average people we can't seem to grasp this concept. It's not due to lack of time, it's more of a lack of effort because if it were time based, you wouldn't be working out as much as most folks are. Bottom line is do what you are going to do, but don't be bitching about being broken in a few years and can't hunt anymore because you were too lazy to stretch for five to ten minutes. Hell, you can get a full stretch in during the commercial breaks of your favorite TV show at night and be done with it.

Whisky

WKR
I think I have IT band syndrome due to my awesome flexibility. Causes my left knee to give me fits from time to time. Guys I don't discount the benefits of yoga one bit. Just not for me. I will get on Insanity kicks every now and then and I appreciate those because they force me to stretch.

jmez

WKR
Dude, seriously. 14 responses and not a single post about yoga pants?

yoga-pants-selter-workout_zpsvmlhztbb.jpg

OP
Takeem406

Takeem406

WKR
Yeah I do the P90x. I can't do a lot of it but... I hate using the phrase, but I do my best and forget the rest. There's some of the twisting poses I don't like because if a repaired hernia in college. The plow and some other elite yoga stuff. But the salutations, the balancing, and corpse... I'm a badass at corpse! Don't mean to brag or nothing. I just got to make so I remember to stretch before I leave the start of my hunt this season. I never seem to remember this, but I'll spend 10 min before and after each workout in training lol.

blackdawg

WKR
Rehab for my torn ACL, I started doing bunch of the classes, S.H.R.E.D., Insanity, KickBoxing, swimming, biking, running, weight lifting. a few others names aren't mainstream and this crazy Czech womans yoga. A huge variety has really helped my overall fitness and flexibility. She calls her Yoga "FLOW". It kicks my behind with the tremendous range of strength/balancing stretches. About 2 times a week is max for my body and usually once a week is plenty.

I have been doing Hot Power Yoga at least once a week for the past 14 months. This is stacked on top of my cardio and weight training routines. Yoga has seriously been a great training modality for me and has influenced my gains in ways that I have never seen. I have seen huge gains in my mobility, flexibility and core strength. I honestly believe that if you don't have hot yoga as part of your routine, you are really missing out. The other cool thing about Yoga is that it is what you make it, it can be as hard or easy as you want in that moment. The crazy part is the better you get, the more difficult it becomes as you focus on muscle groups that have never received any attention!

The biggest bonus for me is longevity. I think that; as a workout modality it is incredibly sustainable, and it will keep me grinding in the mountains for years to come!

14 months ago I was in "great shape" but I couldn't touch my F****ing toes, and had systemic back pains. That is gone, and I have to say I feel like I am back in high school!

If you have doubts shoot me a PM! Or just commit yourself to three or four classes.