X-Bolt Micro Midas or Savage Lightweight Storm

Benjblt

WKR
I'm looking at either of these for my son in 6.5 Creedmoor in a couple of years when he turns 9. I would use it some but I wanted something lightweight with low recoil that he can handle. Thoughts on either of these? I figured I couldn't go wrong with either. Both have adjustable lengths of pulls but the Savage can be adjusted to an even longer length of pull.

Everything about the Browning is better- action, trigger, mag, barrel.

The 6.5cm isn’t really “light” recoil, especially to a 9 yo. For a 100lb person it the same equivalent recoil as a 300Win mag is to a 200lb adult.

The 6.5cm isn’t really “light” recoil, especially to a 9 yo. For a 100lb person it the same equivalent recoil as a 300Win mag is to a 200lb adult.
Got it.

Yeah, but it's really light compared to a 30'06 which is what I shot. It's even lighter than many of the 308 based cartridges. I'm not going to have him shoot bear and deer with a .223 I don't think.

Got it.

Yeah, but it's really light compared to a 30'06 which is what I shot. It's even lighter than many of the 308 based cartridges. I'm not going to have him shoot bear and deer with a .223 I don't think.
I think, not sure, what Form may have been alluding to is that perhaps you might consider a standard-weight gun to reduce recoil, instead of an ultralight if you want a 6.5 CM. Lightweight guns are harder to control and shoot accurately anyway, even for adults.

My kids have all shot the same standard weight 243 off a bipod or tripod. The gun has low recoil, doesn't have a noisy muzzle brake to scare them, and the weight is supported by the bipod/tripod. It's worked well for me and my kids, but the beauty is that you get to do whatever you think is best.

Got it.

That it’s lighter than what you used isn’t disputed. It’s not “light” recoil for him, and you are doing him no favors by having him shoot with more recoil. TBI’s are thing- watch a slow motion video of children head during recoil. Is your goal to prove he is “tough”, or to have him shoot very well and enjoy it?

Yes, a 223 with the correct bullet is far and away a better choice than a 6.5cm for him- he will handle it better, shoot it better, and consequently kill better- that’s a win/win/win.

That it’s lighter than what you used isn’t disputed. It’s not “light” recoil for him, and you are doing him no favors by having him shoot with more recoil. TBI’s are thing- watch a slow motion video of children head during recoil. Is your goal to prove he is “tough”, or to have him shoot very well and enjoy it?

Yes, a 223 with the correct bullet is far and away a better choice than a 6.5cm for him- he will handle it better, shoot it better, and consequently kill better- that’s a win/win/win.
I do have one. I might look into a shorter stock to put on it for him to shoot. I already have some Barnes X loaded up that would work for bear I suppose.

I do have one. I might look into a shorter stock to put on it for him to shoot. I already have some Barnes X loaded up that would work for bear I suppose.

Have you read this in it entirety?

My son turns 9 next month, no way I’d have him shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor. He has a Tikka 22-250 and it’s been good so far. He did not like the recoil on my .243 which isn’t light weight and I didn’t want to push it and develop fear and bad habits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Browning has a composite micro that comes with a factory muzzle break. I considered this but eventually went with a 7mm-08 Savage LW Storm. The Savage is a lighter rifle. For a young kid the hobbit gun is the way I’m going. Only 1 shot at a time can be fired. Just safer in my mind.

6.5 Grendel is not the same as 6.5 creedmoor. 6.5 grendal actually has 20% less recoil than .243.

There's quite a bit of evidence in the 223 thread that copper monos are not the way to go. You should definitely give it a read.

There's quite a bit of evidence in the 223 thread that copper monos are not the way to go. You should definitely give it a read.
My son has taken 2 deer with .223 and 55 Ttsx bullets. Excellent results and complete pass throughs in both cases. Small sample size I know but I will continue to use this combo.

My son has taken 2 deer with .223 and 55 Ttsx bullets. Excellent results and complete pass throughs in both cases. Small sample size I know but I will continue to use this combo.
That's awesome. You should add that info to the 223 thread. People like me trying to learn stuff would benefit from it.

Back