Tikka Build Help...Please

I have a left-hand Tikka T3x in 6.5 Creedmoor with a 16.25" barrel that has a banish muzzle break so I can attach a 30 cal banish backcountry suppressor (later this year once the ATF finishes reviewing the paperwork).

I want to turn it into a semi-custom gun to use as my primary rifle (hunting and recreation). I'll be hunting whitetail 90% of the time and mostly from a saddle where I expect shots to be no more than a few hundred yards. Maneuverability is key for me due to my small frame and hunting mostly mountain(ish) forests. After reading through several threads, I've got some questions and need some help:

1. Stock. I have a Manners PRS1TK (I got in a trade and converted from right hand to left hand) but at 4 pounds it's heavier and bulkier than I want and I would need to have a gunsmith cut the stock shorter for me to be able to use it comfortably. So I'm looking at a Manners EH-1 or McMillian
Game Warden? Carbon fiber or fiberglass? I need a 13" LOP (I'm 5'3"). I've read that AICS magazines are only necessary if you need a magazine larger than 5 rounds or need the ability to load rounds that have a longer OAL. Neither of those apply to me so I plan to stick with factory magazines (and may get the Anarchy Outdoors bottom metal with extended mag release in the future). I'm also going to use flush cups instead of swivel studs and plan on putting a pic rail up front for a bipod (just because I can).

2. Trigger. Seems like 2 stage Timney, Midas, or Bix'n Andy are the top choices. I've never messed with non-factory triggers before. As it relates to hunting, would you go with a single stage or 2 stage trigger and what pull weights would you recommend? Why? (Is there a specific trigger I should look at?)

3. Bolt handle and knob. Is there a reason to choose a swept-back bolt handle instead of the standard straight handle? Are the bolt knobs just preference or is there some sort of logic to the various shapes and sizes? I live in a small town and don't have access to gun stores where I can handle different knobs (hehe) so I'm relying on word of mouth to make a choice.

I know I don't need to make these changes, but I kind of just want 1 over the top nice rifle that I can slowly piece together instead of dropping all the money at once for a full custom. (Lastly, please excuse the long post, I'm hoping I provided enough detail so you can share your insight.)

robtattoo

WKR
1) Stocky's carbon fiber. Either the VG or Rokstock (I currently have a VG & love it, Rokstok on order)

2) No. The one thing that you'll struggle to improve is the factory trigger. If you feel that 2lb is too heavy, a $20 Yo Dave spring will take it scary light. I tried a couple & ended up going back to the originals

3) Totally subjective. I have rifles with straight, swept-back & stepped-back bolt handles & if I closed my eyes, I couldn't tell one from t'other. An $8 Tourbon rubber ball is by far my favorite choice

You'll still end up with a crazy nice rifle & the $1000 you save will be better invested at the range 😉

ElPollo

WKR
Heartily agree with @robtattoo. If you want replace a Tikka stock for better ergos with less weight than factory, Stocky’s is the way. No point in wasting money replacing Tikka triggers or magazines. The best place to spend money on a Tikka is ammo and optics.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
1) the two stocks you mention (gamewarden and EH1) are great. No experience with Stockys. But they're all kind of the same--get a shape you like with the addon's you want and that's all there is to it. Carbon fiber shell is best for high stiffness and being lightweight

2) what @robtattoo said

3) what @robtattoo said

I hunt similar to you. Rokstok on order, stock trigger no need to upgrade, stock bolt knob no need to upgrade. Get a quality scope and UM Tikka rings or sportsmatch T084 rings.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Rokstock and scope rings that use the built in dove dovetail rail thing. I like the mtn gear bolt handle but it’s all just personal preference.

Leave the trigger alone and buy more ammo.

ljalberta

WKR
Also agree with Rob’s post. Bolt handle is preference, but be aware with too big of a handle you can start accidentally knocking it, and unlocking the bolt.

Rokstok will have the nice scalloped rail up front with a short version coming to dial in that LOP right to 13”. It already will have your QD cups as well.

If you really wanna trim a couple extra ounces of weight, send the action to UM for the lightening and fluting treatment.

A trigger spring will be your best trigger upgrade, factory triggers on tikka are great, especially with a 9$ spring

If I were you, I would look at the stocky’s vg or rokstok, if weight isn’t a concern, like mentioned above the new krg echo will be a cool option

If you want something with a shorter LOP, then Stocky's may not be a great option for you. They are great stocks, but the LOP is fixed and the trigger reach on the standard VG stock is pretty long. You could cut it down yourself and build up the grip to get a shorter trigger reach, but that may be more work than you are willing to put in.

I have both a Manners EH1 and a McMillan Game Hunter. I am not a fan of the original Game Warden as the comb is positive, which means the stock recoils back into your cheek. The Game Hunter is adequate, but I won't be buying another one. The EH1 fits nice and recoils well, but again, with the options that Stocky's have, I won't be waiting 7-8 months for another one.

As pointed out by others, a good lightweight chassis system may be the ticket.

If you want something with a shorter LOP, then Stocky's may not be a great option for you. They are great stocks, but the LOP is fixed and the trigger reach on the standard VG stock is pretty long. You could cut it down yourself and build up the grip to get a shorter trigger reach, but that may be more work than you are willing to put in.

I have both a Manners EH1 and a McMillan Game Hunter. I am not a fan of the original Game Warden as the comb is positive, which means the stock recoils back into your cheek. The Game Hunter is adequate, but I won't be buying another one. The EH1 fits nice and recoils well, but again, with the options that Stocky's have, I won't be waiting 7-8 months for another one.

Rokstok which is made by stockys has a 1.7” grip to trigger face.

ElPollo

WKR
Have you adjusted the pull on your trigger? If not, try that before you buy another one. Most of my Tikka triggers bottom out at a crisp 1.75# on my scale. I have one that bottomed out at 2.5#. My smith suggested using a Dremel to take off a bit of the top of the adjustment screw to allow clearance for additional adjustment. Don’t know why I didn’t think of that before, but it worked.

On the Stocky’s options, they are going to be lighter than most options and less expensive. They also don’t require bedding. I have a VG Hunter that is 5-6 oz lighter than the factory stock. The carbon sporter is 7-8 oz less than the factory. The RokStok is going to be slightly heavier than the VG Hunter, but will have the negative comb and shorter trigger reach. It’s likely going to be several months before the latter becomes available.

Another option is the Peak 44 stocks. They are more expensive but slightly lighter than comparable Stocky’s options. They do require bedding though.

OP
regulator795
Heartily agree with @robtattoo. If you want replace a Tikka stock for better ergos with less weight than factory, Stocky’s is the way. No point in wasting money replacing Tikka triggers or magazines. The best place to spend money on a Tikka is ammo and optics.
Thanks, I don't need the stock to weigh less than the factory stock, I just don't want it to weigh 4 pounds like the aftermarket manners I have. I'm pretty limited in stock choices because I'm left-handed and have a 13" LOP.

OP
regulator795
Also agree with Rob’s post. Bolt handle is preference, but be aware with too big of a handle you can start accidentally knocking it, and unlocking the bolt.

Rokstok will have the nice scalloped rail up front with a short version coming to dial in that LOP right to 13”. It already will have your QD cups as well.

If you really wanna trim a couple extra ounces of weight, send the action to UM for the lightening and fluting treatment.
Any idea when the shorter version of the Rokstok will be released?

OP
regulator795

I've never thought about trigger reach before, although I will say I've noticed it on some of my other guns. Is there an agreed-upon way to measure what your trigger reach should be and a place to find out what the trigger reach is on some of these more popular stocks?

OP
regulator795
Have you adjusted the pull on your trigger? If not, try that before you buy another one. Most of my Tikka triggers bottom out at a crisp 1.75# on my scale. I have one that bottomed out at 2.5#. My smith suggested using a Dremel to take off a bit of the top of the adjustment screw to allow clearance for additional adjustment. Don’t know why I didn’t think of that before, but it worked.

On the Stocky’s options, they are going to be lighter than most options and less expensive. They also don’t require bedding. I have a VG Hunter that is 5-6 oz lighter than the factory stock. The carbon sporter is 7-8 oz less than the factory. The RokStok is going to be slightly heavier than the VG Hunter, but will have the negative comb and shorter trigger reach. It’s likely going to be several months before the latter becomes available.

Another option is the Peak 44 stocks. They are more expensive but slightly lighter than comparable Stocky’s options. They do require bedding though.
I haven't tried to adjust the factory trigger and got the idea of swapping triggers from my smith, who said they didn't care for the factory trigger and that lowering the weight generally resulted in more trigger creep. I suppose I'll have to buy a scale so I can measure it myself. Is there a scale you would recommend or avoid?

ElPollo

WKR
Thanks, I don't need the stock to weigh less than the factory stock, I just don't want it to weigh 4 pounds like the aftermarket manners I have. I'm pretty limited in stock choices because I'm left-handed and have a 13" LOP.
The limiting factor for smaller statured folks on gunstocks is often the trigger reach distance. You may find that once that is resolved, you are less sensitive to the LOP. Both the RokStok and the KRG Bravo/Echo offer shorter trigger reaches. If you don’t mind a little extra weight, the KRG stocks may be the ticket. They offer a 1.7” trigger reach and adjustment of LOP, comb height, butt pad height, and they are inexpensive. The Echo is new this year. I think it’s 2.5-2.75#.