Thoughts on a lightweight folding shotgun for small/medium game.

Loper

WKR
Around this time each year I visit several WMAs in my area when they allow small game hunting. I’m usually shooting squirrels, but sometimes there’s an opportunity for ducks, doves and rabbits. Additionally, depending on which WMA I’m on, I can also shoot hogs during the small game hunts. A lot times I can be out all morning or most of the day and cover several miles looking for game. It’s nothing strenuous, like hunting out west in the mountains, but having something lightweight (less than 5 lbs) is nice.

Additionally, having something compact and very portable would be great. I’m planning on chopping the barrel (not less than 18.5”) so that when folded it won’t be any longer than the length of the buttstock. Most of the times I’m carrying my weapon in my hand, but there’s often times when I’m just trying to get to an area that I know is better habitat for a target species where I’d like to toss it in a small backpack. In some places it’s just better to have two free hands and not have a gun slung over a shoulder on a sling.

My initial thought is that this inexpensive shotgun would be in 20 gauge as it is more suited for small game and wouldn’t kick too bad in something lightweight. However, the shotgun I’m interested in only comes in 410 and 12 gauge. I’m thinking with a 12 gauge I’d have more versatility. I can carry a couple standard buckshot or slugs for hogs, a few steel shot shells for ducks/doves, and a number of mini shells 7.5 bird shot for small game. While I know the buckshot and slugs would probably have some very stiff recoil in a light shotgun, i likely wouldn’t be shooting many of these loads, especially from a single shot, break action shotgun. The duck/dove loads probably wouldn’t be enjoyable to shoot either, but once again, I don’t plan on taking repetitive shots, like I would in a dove/duck hunt, mostly just shots of opportunity. Lastly, I would think that the mini shells would be ideal for this type of shotgun as a standard 12 gauge birdshot load is overkill on most squirrels and rabbits and theses smaller shells would help reduce the recoil in a lightweight shotgun.

While I’m 75% leaning towards the 12 gauge, but there’s a part of me that says that the recoil will be prohibitive and I should get the same shotgun in a 410. While 410 will be better with recoil and good for small game, I think it will be less than ideal for ducks/dove/hogs. Additionally, 410 can be difficult to find at times and is more expensive, whereas 12 gauge is ubiquitous and not too costly.

This isn’t intended to be my main hunting shotgun, more of a fun inexpensive gun to tinker with that will be carried more than shot.

What are your thoughts? Would you go for the 12 gauge or 410 with this shotgun?

OP
L

Loper

WKR
That looks like a good shotgun, however with the plastic stock it may be more difficult to sand down the stock so that the shotgun can be folded almost completely in half, rather than 60%.

Additionally, I like having a tang safety on my shotguns as it what I’m familiar with, owning a Mossberg and O/U which are that way. Familiarity allows for muscle memory and quicker safety manipulation for quick shots if needed.

Here’s what I’m looking at.

Of these two, would you go 12 or 410?

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Not sure. Ultimately, I would google my socks off trying to find a 20ga with a tang safety if I were you.

But if nothing comes up with that search, and the extra pound of weight is not a concern, I would go 12ga

mainly because they make and sell all sorts of "low recoil" ammo out there if its insufferable with full loads. It also has a ventilated rib, which I personally like better for sight pictures.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Yeah, the only other ones I’ve found that have a tang safety, internal hammer, and are foldable or can break down and come in 20 gauge is an old Savage 220a. They have good reputations but aren't as lightweight. They can breakdown instead of fold, which is probably just as beneficial. They are a little pricier because some people collect them. If I could find one that was shooter grade I could probably get a decent deal and wouldn’t feel bad chopping the barrel and trying to reduce the weight.

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
I have a revolution armory 12 GA that I use for pretty much the exact use case you've described. I think it weighs around 5.5 lbs, and has a 20 in ventilated rib barrel. It folds pretty much completely in half and stows away inside a small back pack. It is a hammer gun tho.. no tang safety. For a $200(canadian) shotgun this little thing is way handier than I figured it would be and I've probably packed it around more than any of my rifles this year.20231015_165102.jpg

You could get a Rem 870, get a Mesa Tactical adapter for a collapsible stock, which would almost be as short as a folder collapsed, in fact with the Mesa Adapter I think you can put a folding adapter on it for a standard ar15 buffer tube, get ya a Carlson 18.5" barrel that takes Rem chokes and your done.....see Ive been thinking of the same thing lol. I think the new Remington Arms is even coming out with this exact shotgun, but without the folding adapter.
It will be like this but with chokes.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You could get a Rem 870, get a Mesa Tactical adapter for a collapsible stock, which would almost be as short as a folder collapsed, in fact with the Mesa Adapter I think you can put a folding adapter on it for a standard ar15 buffer tube, get ya a Carlson 18.5" barrel that takes Rem chokes and your done.....see Ive been thinking of the same thing lol. I think the new Remington Arms is even coming out with this exact shotgun, but without the folding adapter.
That would be a sweet little set up, folding stock on a pump or semiauto with short barrel.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
I have a revolution armory 12 GA that I use for pretty much the exact use case you've described. I think it weighs around 5.5 lbs, and has a 20 in ventilated rib barrel. It folds pretty much completely in half and stows away inside a small back pack. It is a hammer gun tho.. no tang safety. For a $200(canadian) shotgun this little thing is way handier than I figured it would be and I've probably packed it around more than any of my rifles this year.

Good to hear. Sounds pretty handy. How do you like it? How is the recoil with lightweight 12? What loads do you use or carry most?Any regrets buying it?

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Get this? From other pics of different models on Buds, looks like it folds and is already cut to 18.5 so maybe you don’t chop it?

It’s a cheap single shot like the one you listed.

I’ve looked at this before and it checks a few boxes but not all of them for me. I’d really like to have a tang safety and internal hammer. Thank you sharing this.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Model 870 Tactical 6-Position Stock | Remington

I like this idea. I’m not interested in a Remington 870, but if I could find a folding stock for a Mossberg it might fit the bill for what I’m looking for. I just did a search for a Mossberg folding stock and they are certainly available, even made by Mesa Twcticsl, but every one I’ve seen comes with a pistol grip, which I don’t want.

If I could find a folding stock for a Mossberg without a pistol grip, I’d probably buy the stock and adapter and the 510 mini in 20 gauge and call it good. I may just buy the 510 even if I can’t find a folding stock and deal with a little less compact shotgun than desired.

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Good to hear. Sounds pretty handy. How do you like it? How is the recoil with lightweight 12? What loads do you use or carry most?Any regrets buying it?
For a cheap beater I've grown quite fond of this little thing. It didn't really come with much of a butt pad so I added a slip on rubber one which definitely helps tame the recoil. I mostly pack bird loads with #6 shot for grouse and small game and 2 3/4" one ounce slug loads for bear protection. I have zero regrets buying it.... the fact that it is so utilitarian and cheap mean I don't worry at all about knocking it around... heck I even used it for a tent pole for my tarp shelter one night!

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
That looks like a good shotgun, however with the plastic stock it may be more difficult to sand down the stock so that the shotgun can be folded almost completely in half, rather than 60%.

Additionally, I like having a tang safety on my shotguns as it what I’m familiar with, owning a Mossberg and O/U which are that way. Familiarity allows for muscle memory and quicker safety manipulation for quick shots if needed.

I have that Charles Daly in a 20 that I turned into a turkey gun, it folds pretty well and has a cut out but mines only 18" if you're interested I can get you a picture tomorrow of it folded. That said I bought it because it was cheap, I'm sure all the Turkey (country not bird) shotguns are the same quality1000003210.jpg

OP
L

Loper

WKR
For a cheap beater I've grown quite fond of this little thing. It didn't really come with much of a butt pad so I added a slip on rubber one which definitely helps tame the recoil. I mostly pack bird loads with #6 shot for grouse and small game and 2 3/4" one ounce slug loads for bear protection. I have zero regrets buying it.... the fact that it is so utilitarian and cheap mean I don't worry at all about knocking it around... heck I even used it for a tent pole for my tarp shelter one night!
That’s great! Thanks for the insight.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
I have that Charles Daly in a 20 that I turned into a turkey gun, it folds pretty well and has a cut out but mines only 18" if you're interested I can get you a picture tomorrow of it folded. That said I bought it because it was cheap, I'm sure all the Turkey (country not bird) shotguns are the same qualityView attachment 661095

This looks like a great little turkey gun. I’d love to see a picture of yours folded. Any issues with yours since you bought it.

I think you are probably right about all the shotguns coming out of Turkey (country).

Guessing you’re talking Georgia mountains. I’ve got two of the Yildiz above, 12 O/U and a 20 side by. When I do the kind of hunting you’re talking about I tote the 20 with bird shot. A 22 mag is legal for small game on WMAs so a cheap wrangler on your hip could work.

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
This looks like a great little turkey gun. I’d love to see a picture of yours folded. Any issues with yours since you bought it.

I think you are probably right about all the shotguns coming out of Turkey (country).
I have not shot it a ton, TSS is expensive! Hah but I sighted it in with a couple shots and shot 3 birds last year with no issues. 5lbs 10oz with sling/ extended choke / optic and flip flop recoil pad (it kicks pretty good with turkey loads, don't think I'd want a 12 in one of these)

Attachments

• 1705970001399722274073220449011.jpg
    1705970001399722274073220449011.jpg
    470.3 KB · Views: 29