Wyoming nonresident proposal

Coldtrail

WKR
I hate anything that limits the opportunity for common DIY hunters, but as some have already said....it'll fly on through because no matter who steps aside there will always be someone else with a fist full of cash standing in line.

Fair enough. But let's be real. Wyoming doesn't want your money. Wyoming just wants money. And the state will probably get it. While this may price out the common man, there are probably those who will pay it. Just like there are those who pay big prices to hunt abroad.
I suppose the logic is lose a big chunk of the nonresident applicants but double the cost. Less people but more revenues. There are those who will pay it without a doubt. Not so sure they will even lose a ”big chunk“ of applicants. Populations have exploded. There are a lot more people out there than there used to be increasing the number of people with with money in their pocket. You could point to the recent housing market insanity as an example. There were 6-12 people in line willing to pay. The situation affects everything including hunting.

Fitzwho

WKR
Remember that those increases are just the extra fee on top of the regular tag price to apply in the Special Draw. So deer and antelope will both be almost $1300 total and the special elk draw will cost about $1960. I’m not sure this one will pass, but sort of glad I burned my antelope points this year and will probably burn my deer tags this year.

They aren’t increasing the regular draw tag prices, but the new special draw tag prices will definitely push most people out of the special.

Bluefish

WKR
I understand it’s about the $$ and since most states wildlife management is self funded, this is not a unique problem. Hunting and fishing numbers are dropping, thus revenue is dropping. Unfortunately raising prices won’t help long term. It will just drive away more hunters. Speeding up the downward spiral.

Had a great example of this in college, bus was $.25. Lots of ridership. They needed funds, so raised the price to $1.00. Ridership and total funds collected dropped. Lowered prices and riders didn’t come back as habits had already changed.

I understand it’s about the $$ and since most states wildlife management is self funded, this is not a unique problem. Hunting and fishing numbers are dropping, thus revenue is dropping. Unfortunately raising prices won’t help long term. It will just drive away more hunters. Speeding up the downward spiral.

Had a great example of this in college, bus was $.25. Lots of ridership. They needed funds, so raised the price to $1.00. Ridership and total funds collected dropped. Lowered prices and riders didn’t come back as habits had already changed.
Not 100% sure that will be the case with tag prices. When I lived in Chicago there was a great train system from the burbs to The Loop (business district). Compared to driving, it was a substantially less time and less expensive commute. It was comfortable and clean. You were held to a schedule though. The folks making bucks at work still elected to drive in adding 20-25 mins to an already long commute and 4-5 times more expensive for parking. But they still paid it. Access to you car through the day, no walk outside in brutal winters, etc. Convenience. Lots of people out there with money that will continue to pay these big tag price increases. Especially if deer/elk/antelope go 90/10 (I think they will). If that happens, and you have the cash, plenty do, the better odds in the special will be attractive. If the number of participants drop off, the price increase should make up for it and then some. Who knows. Time will tell I guess.

Ralphie

WKR
Before this turns into another Wyoming hate thread--It's a very simple answer why:

"The Commission receives no State General Funds." Essentially, WGFD has to generate its own budget. Tag numbers are dropping and agency costs are increasing. All other WY state agencies are primarily supported by State General Funds. I can speak with certainty, an $88.5M annual budget is barely enough to run anything let alone a state agency with the amount of responsibility WGFD has.
We do however have many millions to build a giant jackson hole type building in Cody. How many mule deer is that building going to help?

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
The locals have a say NR not so much. Cant see why it won’t pass.
yes, if you ask someone, should we charge the other guy more than you, it will pass.

Big tangent to this, but I know someone who moved to KY. They had to pay sales tax on the cars they already owned. I think it is inbred. But no one is going to stick up for the other guy. To me it seems unamerican to pay taxes on what you already own.

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
We truly are pricing out a lot lower to middle class people that are just hoping to travel across state lines to enjoy the public lands (and hunting thereon) we all own. It’s sad.

Agree. I also think bordering states should have an agreement. II hate out of towners like everyone else, but I just don't like the idea of governent charging huge fees. Especially when they US citizens.

I don't know this for a fact, or detail, but I have heard Montana gives you a break if you were born there. I really like that. You should be able to go home and hunt with family with paying a ton of money,

Some of this is just based on my perspective as a white tail hunter, which is cheap enough anyone can do it. Where opening day is a holiday, and schools close. So my back ground is different.

I don't see a way to add a quote with this softward when editing your posts. Or I would.

Archer86

WKR
yes, if you ask someone, should we charge the other guy more than you, it will pass.

Big tangent to this, but I know someone who moved to KY. They had to pay sales tax on the cars they already owned. I think it is inbred. But no one is going to stick up for the other guy. To me it seems unamerican to pay taxes on what you already own.
Not me I have sent emails and called my rep. I don't want to see this go through as a resident it is only being pushed to benefit outfitters and I have family and friends that are non residents that are not willing to pay those tag fees and will make it harder for them to come and hunt with me and I am sure I am not the only resident that feels this way

Hopefully the diy guys will call and email reps flood there inboxes that you oppose and maybe it will get shot down some won't because they think this will benefit them but hopefully the rest will

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
I surmise that most of the hunters that I met last time I was hunting antelope can‘t or won’t pay these fees. While there are a lot that will they’re are way more that won’t. Hunting is becoming a rich man’s.

fishslap

WKR
I surmise that most of the hunters that I met last time I was hunting antelope can‘t or won’t pay these fees. While there are a lot that will they’re are way more that won’t. Hunting is becoming a rich man’s.
Did I read an earlier post incorrectly or can’t people still apply for the normal regular draw at regular prices, and those who want to can apply for the special draw at the new increased price. The special draw price increase would probably decrease draw odds in the regular pool and increase odds in the special draw, which is the design of the special draw.

Last edited:

Ralphie

WKR
I’m not familiar with that specific project, but if it’s a state or county build within the last 2 years it is being funded by the millions of dollars pushed down to states through federal covid relief and ARP grant funding.
This was started before that.

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
d I have family and friends that are non residents that are not willing to pay those tag fees and will make it harder for them to come and hunt with me and I am sure I am not the only resident that feels this way
Agree. MI NR deer is about $150 more. My camp is MI, but I know lots of people in WI. I am in the snowbelt, where you don't see a lot of deer. I had a young guy hunting with me, never got anything, was paying $$, and then had a baby. So he hasn't been back. He was a new hunter just getting into it.

As said, I like to see border states agreement, if you were born there. And I really don't see the point of screwing over the out of towners, even though I don't like out of towners. They are still citizens. We screw them over, they are going to screw us over. Global thermal nuclear war for fees,

Plus I just don't trust the government the money anyways,

Mojave

WKR
870 should be for a pronghorn/deer combo.
No worries, they wont see a penny from me.

I get that you are not buying into it, but I doubt it will matter.

Every state has raised prices, Wyoming always seems to be one of the last.

I used to laugh at New Mexico's non-resident sheep prices. Now many other states are near that price.

Mojave

WKR
What they should do is make the Special a non-point system like New Mexico and Idaho and then it would have been worth that price.

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
Are the high prices really benefiting the game, or just squandered by government?

Myself, I want more people being able to hunt or start hunting. I realize in areas with lots of people, some people may not feel that way.

I don't know how it is out west, maybe still plenty well off people doing it, but in the midwest deer hunting has declined. Not to cost of tag, but it sure wouldn't help. $11 base and $20 deer tag. People complain about that too. $30 to go deer hunting,

FLATHEAD

WKR
Becoming too much sugar for a nickel. IMO.
Last year I only applied in NM.
No points and easiest access (drive) for me.
Prolly do the same this year.