Wyoming Antelope unit 32

emmagator

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to apply as a party of 3, each have 5pp. I hunted 73 in 2017 and had a great hunt, applied last year and didnt draw and looks like we'll be short again this year. So the plan is to burn the points and hunt this year.

Pretty much decided on unit 32. Not the most public land but with the HMA's and walk in areas, seems decent.

Any reason not to apply and look elsewhere? I was also looking into unit 78.

EdP

WKR
You might take a look at 47 also. I hunted MD in 2021 in MD unit 70 which overlaps Pronghorn unit 47. One of the hunters in camp had a pronghorn tag that he filled the first afternoon there. We saw lots of goats and there is plenty of public access. It took 5 points at the time. If there is a downside it is that there isn't much for accomodations nearby.

Laramie

WKR
Looking to apply as a party of 3, each have 5pp. I hunted 73 in 2017 and had a great hunt, applied last year and didnt draw and looks like we'll be short again this year. So the plan is to burn the points and hunt this year.

Pretty much decided on unit 32. Not the most public land but with the HMA's and walk in areas, seems decent.

Any reason not to apply and look elsewhere? I was also looking into unit 78.
To draw 32 you would have to apply in the special - 5 points in the regular won't get the tag.

I would also suggest keeping unit numbers private- good way to ruin your own draw odds. The bottom line is every area in the state has antelope. Find one you can draw and go have fun.

OP
E

emmagator

Lil-Rokslider
You might take a look at 47 also. I hunted MD in 2021 in MD unit 70 which overlaps Pronghorn unit 47. One of the hunters in camp had a pronghorn tag that he filled the first afternoon there. We saw lots of goats and there is plenty of public access. It took 5 points at the time. If there is a downside it is that there isn't much for accomodations nearby.
I looked at 47 as well, but the checkerboard of public and private makes me nervous about good public access.

I have hunted 73 the last two years. I think if you drew it this time, you would be very disappointed. There has been a huge drop in antelope, both in quantity and quality in that unit. I talked with the warden who said he is hoping to cut tags again in 2023 to accommodate for the lack of antelope. 32, I have not hunted antelope out there but fish and have hunted mule deer. I think you will find some antelope but don't rely on the walk in areas. They get hammered by the locals. Don't be afraid to call a landowner, most of them don't care about an antelope. 47, I have not hunted antelope out there but that checkerboard is not fun. Until the corner crossing gets settled or figured out, a lot of that is off limits. Feel free to shoot me a pm.

OP
E

emmagator

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer not to have to work to find public land access. I wanted to “maximize “ my 5pts, but understand there are probably equal or better units that take less points, so I am not opposed to applying for a unit that takes less.

j_volt

WKR
If memory serves me right, I think I saw a pretty large HMA was taken out of the program last year in 32. If so, I would look to a different unit.

wapitibob

WKR
Call the access coordinator, they try to get the HMA's signed about now. He'll know about any deletions from the program as noted above. If you wait, the draw will be over before the dept updates the HMA stuff on the web.

OP
E

emmagator

Lil-Rokslider
During my research on this unit, I came across some info regarding the Marton Ranch purchase by BLM in unit 32? Is that purchase complete, is it open to public? Seems to be some controversy around it and I can’t find any clarifying info.

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
During my research on this unit, I came across some info regarding the Marton Ranch purchase by BLM in unit 32? Is that purchase complete, is it open to public? Seems to be some controversy around it and I can’t find any clarifying info.
Sale went through, it’s BLM now

Sale went through, it’s BLM now
Not exactly true. We are in a waiting period until the management plan is agree upon by the state as part of the lawsuit the state vs blm. I plan to poke around to see if anyone knows anything. I work with lawyers that are hunters.

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
Not exactly true. We are in a waiting period until the management plan is agree upon by the state as part of the lawsuit the state vs blm. I plan to poke around to see if anyone knows anything. I work with lawyers that are hunters.
I didn’t realize that, that’s interesting. Thanks for correcting me. That has not been well publicized. Is access allowed or does the lawsuit need to settle first? I knew the state threw a fit but I was under the impression everything was good to go. OnX has even updated to show the ranch as BLM now.

I didn’t realize that, that’s interesting. Thanks for correcting me. That has not been well publicized. Is access allowed or does the lawsuit need to settle first? I knew the state threw a fit but I was under the impression everything was good to go. OnX has even updated to show the ranch as BLM now.
It’s very interesting. Here is an article that may help. I may have misunderstood it but that’s how I interpreted it. It’s public but not public. I don’t believe anyone would stop you though. But, we are in a land law lawsuit era so who knows.

OP
E

emmagator

Lil-Rokslider
Based on how I read this blurb from the article in the Cowboy Daily, it sounds like it’s open and been open since May. The controversy seems to be more directed to the “land use plan.”

The $21 million sale of the ranch property to the Bureau of Land Management was finalized in May, and the land has been open to the public since, Tyson Finnicum, the agency’s High Plains District spokesman, told Cowboy State Daily.

However, in answer to concerns voiced by Gov. Mark Gordon’s office, the BLM will revisit its land use plan for the area, and that will include public comment, he said. It’s hoped that can happen sometime in the spring, although no exact date has been set. “

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
I am from the area and solely hunt 32. More access than you think. I would advise scouting as water can be there on year and the next good luck. Lots of little honey holes of water too small to list on onx. I am a resident so obviously my odds are better, but I've been able to tag out 2 very nice bucks (rough scores 78 and 80) in two years. 32 is massive and has tons of opportunity imo.

Marton sale did indeed go through, I have duck hunted it a few times. I was skeptical on access as some have said here but warden swingholm sent me out and recommended it for waterfowl just this december, he is knowledgeable and i highly doubt he would send me to trespass (lol unless its a trap). In addition, the owner of riverbend roosters (bird farm and our dog trainer) has confirmed its open as they are neighbors across the river and know the martons. Be mindful of roads you are on as you can only drive on marked roads for travel And the access to the house and living area has giant warnings. Bolton creek road will about take you anywhere in there and thats county. Have to be blind imo to take the wrong road.