Wyo Gen Archery - Are you shooting?

Hnthrdr

WKR
Lots of good bulls on a general tag, would be hard to shoot opening day since I want to hunt for all 6 or as much as I can

bushman

FNG
Hell yeah, I hunt for the thrill of the hunt. I hunt because I love to hunt. I hunt for adventure of it all. If that bull made me happy then it's a successful hunt. If I saw bigger bulls and knew I had great chances at that then I might pass. But I would be thrilled to get a bull.

KHNC

WKR
Ive killed big elk and ive killed little elk. I dont mind killing little elk. I will this year for sure, in wyoming, if get the chance. Especially after i shot a BIG wyoming bull in the elbow last year. Didnt even stop him from bugling and chasing his cows afterwards.

BDRam16

WKR
The 6 days is what makes it hard. After years of not drawing the tag I would LIKE something bigger….but I’d rather not wait all those years for nothing either. I’d probably take the shot.

j_volt

WKR
sendittt.gif

Laramie

WKR
Some of the opinions in this thread are eye opening. I have hunted and guided general areas in Wyoming since the 80s. That bull would be in the top 5% of elk harvested in most general areas. If you don't want him, you need to be prepared for tag soup or you should hold out for a LQ tag.

TheViking

WKR
He's getting smoked.

Not a trophy hunter.

Tags are expensive. Coming home empty handed after passing animals is the worst feeling in the world.

Been there, done that - got into bulls Day 1, Day 2, then it dried up. Don't pass something on Day 1 you'd shoot on the last day.

Last edited:
OP

To answer your question, yes, I would shoot him. But only because I don't live in Wyoming and have the entire season to hunt.

Limiting to a 6-day hunt in a place I have never hunted elk, I am going to kill a bull like that, so I have something to show for my efforts. If I was a resident and could hunt several weeks, I would pass on him in hopes of something bigger.

Some of the opinions in this thread are eye opening. I have hunted and guided general areas in Wyoming since the 80s. That bull would be in the top 5% of elk harvested in most general areas. If you don't want him, you need to be prepared for tag soup or you should hold out for a LQ tag.
Strange, that was not my experience at all.