Wyo Gen Archery - Are you shooting?

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
Seriously? That’s like a 200 inch bull. I thought Wyoming had bigger bulls than that.
He didn't say top 5% of WY bulls. He said top 5% of elk harvested. These are any elk units for the most part and we locals like to shoot elk and fill the freezer. I do know a guy who shoots a 300"+ bull every year in general units, but he know where multiple of them are before the season ever starts.
I also hunt one general area with poor genetics and a lot of pressure from outfitters where we've killed at least 10 bulls and only one has been significantly bigger than the bull in the original post. My buddy guides in the same unit, and their entire camp for the entire season usually gets one bull that breaks 300". If you are one of the 20+ hunters coming through their camp, I hope you don't pass on the bull in the pic that's a good representative, because your odds of finding something bigger are slim.
That being said, every other general unit I've hunted here, I've see 300"+ bulls. Never shot one, but I've seen them lol

I’ll be out there in a month on a gen tag and I’m 50/50 on that one but I’m also not bothered in the slightest by eating tags and still have plenty of elk from last year in the freezer.

I think you all might be giving the general tag too much credit. I'm there this year and everything I understand about expectations says that's a shooter

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
I think you all might be giving the general tag too much credit. I'm there this year and everything I understand about expectations says that's a shooter
I'm going to backtrack a little bit from my previous response.
If a bull elk is a trophy to you, and you want to fill a tag, don't pass up a 5 point in a general area. If you have a passel of 5 points and this is the year you're going for youall time best and don't mind eating a tag, by all means hold out and you just might find the big one. With 6 days in the right area, I would expect to find a nice bull. Getting him in range and killed is where the challenge will lie.
In a general area I used to live in, two people I know well shot 400"+ bulls. My wife's boss and a good friend. My friend's is hanging in my brother's house until he gets a place to put it. So, if you want to trophy hunt, the odds aren't horrible. This was a general tag.IMG_20220306_164354501.jpegIMG_20220306_173601321.jpeg

If a bull elk is a trophy to you, and you want to fill a tag, don't pass up a 5 point in a general area. If you have a passel of 5 points and this is the year you're going for youall time best and don't mind eating a tag, by all means hold out and you just might find the big one. With 6 days in the right area, I would expect to find a nice bull. Getting him in range and killed is where the challenge will lie.
In a general area I used to live in, two people I know well shot 400"+ bulls. My wife's boss and a good friend. My friend's is hanging in my brother's house until he gets a place to put it. So, if you want to trophy hunt, the odds aren't horrible. This was a general tag.View attachment 584986View attachment 584987

That left side whale-tail is mythical status.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bentarrow

FNG
That's not 300. I would on a 5 dayer. I like elk meat too much. Big antlers r nice but ya can't eat um. Next yr no one will care what ya got but u. Shoost um.

bentarrow

FNG
In a general area I used to live in, two people I know well shot 400"+ bulls. My wife's boss and a good friend. My friend's is hanging in my brother's house until he gets a place to put it. So, if you want to trophy hunt, the odds aren't horrible. This was a general tag.View attachment 584986View attachment 584987
Dang nice.

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
This is such a personal question. No wrong answer, unless it felt wrong to you. Right?

I think it has a lot to do with how much experience you have. Also....how many other hunts do you have left for the year? Did you already fill the freezer? Are you solo, 8 miles from your truck day 1?....Etc.

Tell you what though, if I'm burning 5 points, unless I have some premium tag(s) burning a hole in my pocket, I'm dedicating more than 6 days to hunt elk in WY.

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
In a general area I used to live in, two people I know well shot 400"+ bulls. My wife's boss and a good friend. My friend's is hanging in my brother's house until he gets a place to put it. So, if you want to trophy hunt, the odds aren't horrible. This was a general tag.View attachment 584986gView attachment 584987
You happen to know how long g1, g2 were?

I'll never have 5pp in Wyoming therefore will not ever be in that situation. I only apply for Colorado and Arizona and I would pass in both states with a 5pp tag.