Still have bull tag, rifle outfitter?

OP
KHNC

KHNC

WKR
I live in western Pennsylvania. 24 hours of driving to western Wyoming. The southern region has more open country than the west. As far as blow downs, that’s just something you can only avoid by having some experience in a particular area.

I agree about looking for at least semi open country. That’s what I hunt. I’m definitely not a timber hunter. Locating elk is more than half the battle and I do that from vantage points. When the pressure is on, though, I still have to, do a little timber hunting. But not much.

I don’t know what the pressure is like in the south but I’m sure it’s not much different than anywhere else. Just have to put on a few miles to leave that behind.

I have gone out in the summer and scouted. I have gone out in archery and then driven back in rifle season. Whatever it takes. I can’t stand an inpunched elk tag.
I agree, but i have been a timber hunter most all of my 20 years archery hunting elk. I did have the pleasure of killing a rifle cow last year in some wide open BLM country in November. Takes 17 years to get a bull tag in that area and i saw a bunch of them!! As for the SE region, the pressure is intense. As for the open country there, I dont have experience with it. That is why i cant justify driving back out for public rifle. Everyone i have spoken to from the area seems to agree its a zoo. The few outfitters that did call me back were full. The majority just ignored my messages. I assume they were full as well. Unfortunately , my bull tag will remain unpunched this time.