WY GEN $2K Raghorns you shooting?

We haven’t decided if we are doing the $2000 special yet but if we do I am shooting any legal bull. Would be same units we hunted for the $1300 special so why would I think the quality gets better? Maybe first day or 2 I would hold out just maybe.

I don’t think a guy’s standards should change based on the price of the tag. But they might when licenses become harder to get and he has no idea when he might get to come back.

I’m tempted to pay the two grand mainly because I know my spot so well, so I’m confident it will be money well spent. I don’t have enough points to draw so the thing that tempts me is the fact that this could be the best odds ever in a random drawing. On the other side of the coin, it could be the worst year ever for draw odds in the regular random. That makes the special hard to walk away from.

Regardless, my standards are always the same. They are on a sliding scale. Nothing but six point bulls for the first half of the hunt and from there it works its way down through five points only to any legal bull. I’m not in an either sex area or the last day would be if it’s brown it’s down. I like big bulls but I like to hunt too. And I like meat in the freezer.

For those reasons I think I’ll relocate if I do draw. I have another area that has bigger bulls and also offers either sex elk hunting for the entire hunt. So it’s kind of all or nothing. I like that.

OP
C
Gen Regular price odds are going to be bad. WY really hosed us as well on the pay now, find out Aug 31st if you drew (exaggerated)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've spent $2k on LO vouchers before, and passed on several bulls to eat my tag, and didn't regret that at all. So I'd do the same in WY. A good hunt is a good hunt, regardless whether I shoot one or not. On the flip side, I shot a decent 6x6 one year and it was a horrible season IMO. Was in that unit two years later and it was a fantastic season.......and ate my tag.

I can’t really answer that question, my standards are generally based on what I’m experiencing, and that’s ruling out a rag that comes charging in bugling at 10yds

I never know what my current standards are until I come to full draw. I have never regretted killing a bull, so maybe that’s what it will take… some day

pirogue

WKR
Some sound like a whole new group of hunters is going to jump at this 2K opportunity. The majority of this group of applicants will be those that have hunted WY before, probably most have paid the Special before(even though much cheaper), but realize the sign of the times, and that is you either pay more to hunt more, or sit at home for years while you get older, and get points for a fleeting Gen. And it’s not like it’s going to be a 2 K expenditure every year, because you’re not going to draw it every year.

Kurts86

WKR
The money has nothing to do with the hunt expectations, it is simply a realization that elk are desirable to hunt and nonresident opportunity is shrinking across all states.

$2k for an elk tag + free access is still a deal when I look at what a deer lease or duck club membership cost for a year locally and it yields more meat and a better experience.

Killing an elk is still really difficult that even on the quality of a Wyoming general tag 3/4 tags go unpunched and I’m guessing most aren’t because they were holding out for a 6x6.

JFYI Wasn't that all that long ago when we could draw the general as a 2nd choice in the special. ;)
Yep. I’ve been drawing general licenses since we could get it as our second pic and still gain a preference point. When it first started taking a half point or point to draw it wasn’t a problem because we had accumulated points while hunting. As soon as you were forced to make the general license your first choice, everything changed.

Killing an elk is still really difficult that even on the quality of a Wyoming general tag 3/4 tags go unpunched and I’m guessing most aren’t because they were holding out for a 6x6.
Holding out for a 6X6 is definitely not the number one reason tags go un punched. I’d say the three top reasons are a lack of experience with elk hunting, a lack of knowledge of the area they are hunting, and not being in good enough shape.

Mish-pop

FNG
2K or even non special is out of my price range at this point. Partly, because I have a private land deer lease in my home state that is a really good deal based on quality of hunt and freedom to chase other species as well. To get my elk experience before I put in for a pricey tag I think I'm just going to try for leftover tags in my home state. And if I don't get one I will just try to go with anyone I know who can get any leftover or draw tag. Go with them, help them hunt and help pack the elk out. Once I get more experience of elk hunting in general then I may pay for a more pricey tag. Also I gotta take care of some school debt first. But I'm in the camp that if I'm paying that much for a tag, I'm holding out.