Guided WY Elk Hunt

Slope77

FNG
I have been accumulating points in WY for a while, maybe up to 7 or so now. I know that isn’t enough to hunt the most in demand units, but I am at least a couple of years out and I can wait longer. I can only do this so many times, and there are other things to hunt as well. I would probably do archery simply because big bulls are more available, but rifle would be simpler.

If you were going to semi-splurge on this, would you do a western WY wilderness hunt or eastern WY with private land access? Big Horns worthwhile on a guided hunt?

I hate to even say this, but I would like to shoot something big (wouldn’t we all). I have a low 300s archery bull on the wall, and I’m not interested in spending $10k for something similar. Yes, it is about the experience. I can get that for the cost of the tag.

brooketrt

Lil-Rokslider
Your probably going to get a bigger bull eastern wyoming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are smack dab in the middle of no man’s land with your points. If you want a bigger bull in my opinion you need to look at private land hunts where your points will be enough. Not top tier units. Try Triple Three Outfitters out of Sheridan/Buffalo. Hunts are down near Kaycee. You best call NOW and get in line.

brooketrt

Lil-Rokslider
Depending on your budget wagon hound always gets big ones south of Douglas

brooketrt

Lil-Rokslider
Also true ranches, not sure who their outfitter is

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
Unless you are extremely lucky in the random, draw Wagonhound (in #7) is not going to happen with 7 points unless you buy a $20,000 license from some charity .

TWHrunner

Lil-Rokslider
not to hijack the thread here but how many points are needed for a top unit for nonresident next year? I think I have 11 and like the OP interested in the east vs west option?

OP
S

Slope77

FNG
Thanks all of you for your help, you have given me some things to research. I have heard of Wagon Hound. Not totally sure how I feel about them, seems like a guys on websites like this are a bit jaded about them, but not from first hand knowledge on my part. A $20k tag is most definitely a no-go. Big Horns are very convenient/attractive for me. I was unfamiliar with the outfitters noted, and I appreciate it. I will also check out True. I have heard of that outfit, at least on the ranch and oil side.

Just to explain, this isn’t a thing that I can afford to do annually, but I feel it is unrealistic for me to to do this on a DIY. I sure respect the guys that can, but that isn’t me, unfortunately.

So one more question, and I will research it myself, but are the top quality wilderness units out west that over-subscribed, despite effort and cost? I think the wilderness experience would be really cool, but I have been to the Big Horns a number of times and love the area.

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted elk on Wagonhound more than once. I would imagine that the internet board fellows that are jaded about them have never set foot on the ranch. It is a first class operation and they do have some big bulls on the ranch - however, it comes with a first class + price tag. They will help hunters find a commissioner's license (purchased from a charity) , if needed, with a price normally in the $20,000 + range, Otherwise it currently takes around 13 points in the regular draw or 12 points in the special draw to get a bull tag in area 7.

I have heard positive things about an outfitter located SE of Laramie. I have not hunted with him, but I have talked with guys that have hunted there. I believe the name is Tyler Sims.

The hunts in the Bighorns sound like the best bet to me. Look at the Wyoming Outfitters site for contact information. Good luck.

Last edited:

Ralphie

WKR
7 points and a bull significantly bigger than low 300s is a Tall order. Unless the budget is really good. And even then it won‘t be a slam dunk.

If you turned down a low 300s bull in the western Wyoming wilderness areas, at least on the ones draw able with 7 points…you might be accused of having unreasonably high expectations.

I have been accumulating points in WY for a while, maybe up to 7 or so now. I know that isn’t enough to hunt the most in demand units, but I am at least a couple of years out and I can wait longer. I can only do this so many times, and there are other things to hunt as well. I would probably do archery simply because big bulls are more available, but rifle would be simpler.

If you were going to semi-splurge on this, would you do a western WY wilderness hunt or eastern WY with private land access? Big Horns worthwhile on a guided hunt?

I hate to even say this, but I would like to shoot something big (wouldn’t we all). I have a low 300s archery bull on the wall, and I’m not interested in spending $10k for something similar. Yes, it is about the experience. I can get that for the cost of the tag
You are looking to shoot a giant with 7 NR points? That's a big ask unless you get extremely lucky or plump down some big $. Look into a Western Wyo fully guided mid-season or late season migration hunt in griz country.

Soj51hopeful

Lil-Rokslider
His original post states he’s at least a couple years out and can wait longer. You guys advising on 7 point units aren’t picking up what he’s putting down.

ckleeves

WKR
His original post states he’s at least a couple years out and can wait longer. You guys advising on 7 point units aren’t picking up what he’s putting down.
He could build points for 15 more years and he’s not catching the top end. I wouldn’t even be sure a guy with 7 could catch any Bighorn unit he wanted in the next decade in the regular.

wytx

WKR
Tyler Sims has good ground and big bulls, various hunts from on the mountain to ranch meadows.

Wagonghound is first class and gets bashed because they own vast amounts of land and outfit it for a big price. I know a guide there and they are good folks just dang expensive. No guarantee on a big bull either, it is a hunt.
Iron Mountain Outfitters may have a good bull or two running around their properties too.

Lots of big bulls in not max PP areas, private and public land hunts.

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
Tyler Sims is the fellow that I was trying to mention in my previous post, but I got my Tyler's mixed up. Glad someone mentioned the right Tyler!

j_volt

WKR
Check with Constant Quest Outfitters on their availability. I know when they started a few years ago they were not booked out like other Thorofare outfitters. You can hunt with them on a general tag.

OP
S

Slope77

FNG
Hey, thank you all. I know that a 350 bull isn’t guaranteed anywhere that is actually hunting. It sounds like the western wilderness hunts take more points, and the eastern private land hunts take more $. None of it is cheap. Point creep - yep. I am getting my doors blown off on antelope and deer. Eventually, herds will recover, and no offense, but there are probably a lot of high point holders that will age out on all of this.

I am in the realm (points) on the Big Horn hunts, and that is attractive to me. So is a real wilderness experience. I probably don’t have the patience - but i can accumulate points for a bit. If it doesn’t move me ahead, well I’m not really expecting it anymore.

Really, if a guy wanted to do this semi-regularly, burn the points on what the best you can, then go general with a good guide. Just doesn’t make sense to start over on points in this environment. As I’ve said, I would love to be able to do this on my own, but the time horizon, learning curve, and investment (horses, etc) just doesn’t make sense for me.

You have all been very kind and I appreciate your insight.