WY GEN $2K Raghorns you shooting?

Based on a few threads below "would you shoot this bull " etc, the question came to me about the new pricing in WY. Are you paying for the experience of hunting elk in WY specifically? What is the experience you're looking for that sets WY apart from other states? I don't think dollars equate to bull size, but say you put in for the special tag that will run you 2Kish all said and done. At what point are you shooting a raghorn? Would you be holding out for a solid bull the whole hunt?

huntnful

WKR
I had a $1000 Utah bull tag 2 years ago. On the 9th day, with one day left in the season, I still passed up a pretty decent 5x5 at 50 yards. Then 1 hour later killed a nice 6x6.

It depends how much time you have to hunt, if you need the meat, if care about killing a big one or just having the opportunity to hunt.

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to go with a no on shooting a rag with that tag in particular. Similar to the post above I've spent a lot of days trying to kill a good bull, and have had it happen on the last few days many times. Feels weird letting a 5 walk, but worth it in the end. If a guy needs meat that bad I'd say a 2k WY tag is probably not what you're after, and many cow tags would treat that fellow better.

jchamwv

FNG
if i'm spending $2K on a tag it would be to increase my odds at getting a LE area and i'm not shooting a raghorn at that price. That is why I apply for leftover tags.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
I wouldn't apply for a special tag, I'd take my chances in the random draw.

Steven.Elmore

Lil-Rokslider
Situational. If I'm alone he probably gets a pass, if on a 10 day hunt with a group of 4 he's getting shot.

pirogue

WKR
As hard as tags are getting to obtain in most states, I’m paying to hunt, not kill. A spike or raghorn, wouldn’t be considered until the last day, and if close to the road.

OP
C
As a product of the 80s and 90s, 2k just sounds a lot more expensive than 1300 to my ears.

i was trying to talk myself into the 2k General, but screw that. For me it’s just not worth it. ill draw a nice CO tag this year if i don’t draw anything in Alaska and my OTC spot the last few years seems to have gotten better. I’ll be random general cheap fee from here on out

cnelk

WKR
I was going to enter the 2024 Wyo Gen Draw, but with my Wyo Antelope, Wyo deer and a RP cow/calf I’ll already be into it for about $1000.

OP
C
You guys are talking like it’s a better tag just because it costs more. It’s the same tag as it was last year…..just more expensive.
No doubt, and the other no "doubt" is that 2k won't deter many. Sadly, all my premium tag hunts for CO have been drawn and are all rear view mirror these days. The only reason I put in for GEN WY is I have a good spot, and I could treat it like CO, no scouting needed, just get a tag and go. If it happens, it happens. I won't cry if I don't draw that's for sure.