WY Corner crossing update

The video may bring to light corruption and get the case tossed but it won’t do anything to change the legality of corner crossing.

Now I haven’t seen the video but if the landowner gave the officers permission to cross their land then there is no corruption and the video really will be meaningless other then to individuals with emotion in the case.

What are you getting at?

The video is just a part of the evidence supplying the facts of what occurred. It's bad for public perception of the landowner but it is also supporting evidence that the Hunters did a "pure" corner cross without stepping on private land, which might be necessary to get a real decision that impacts future legal understanding of corner crossing.

tdhanses

WKR
The civil case is headed to federal court. If they lose the criminal case, they're appealing.

Not that you care either way...as you've said countless times.
Makes sense and your right, I really don’t care what the outcome ends up being in the end.

tdhanses

WKR
What are you getting at?

The video is just a part of the evidence supplying the facts of what occurred. It's bad for public perception of the landowner but it is also supporting evidence that the Hunters did a "pure" corner cross without stepping on private land, which might be necessary to get a real decision that impacts future legal understanding of corner crossing.
But if it’s deemed illegal it won’t matter, I didn’t think their action in cutting the corner was in question, it’s that process they deem illegal that is in question.

If it’s found that corner crossing is illegal, then their case is over.

A prosecutor asking to stop sharing public information?

PUBLIC information?

Unbelievably stupid...

I'm curious what makes the video classified as public info and how it may be different from any other sheriff body cam footage?

OP
B

BuzzH

WKR
I'm curious what makes the video classified as public info and how it may be different from any other sheriff body cam footage?
Body cams are public information, and the hunters attorneys further made it public via the court filings in the motion to dismiss is my understanding.

The carbon county attorneys are just not happy the public released public documents.

They also don't like the spotlight shining on their crap case.

tdhanses

WKR
Body cams are public information, and the hunters attorneys further made it public via the court filings in the motion to dismiss is my understanding.

The carbon county attorneys are just jot happy the public released public documents.

But isn’t this usual attorney stuff, they know it probably won’t happen but there is a chance.

Body cams are public information,
Is that a WY thing? Seems there is frequently a debate, for example, after a cop shoots a non-white person on whether or not to release the body cam footage or how long it should be held
and the hunters attorneys further made it public via the court filings in the motion to dismiss is my understanding.

The carbon county attorneys are just jot happy the public released public documents.

This makes sense.

OP
B

BuzzH

WKR
But isn’t this usual attorney stuff, they know it probably won’t happen but there is a chance.
I don't often times hear prosecutors whining about fair trials...if they have a case, make it.

It's typically defendants that worry about fair trials.

OP
B

BuzzH

WKR
Is that a WY thing? Seems there is frequently a debate, for example, after a cop shoots a non-white person on whether or not to release the body cam footage or how long it should be held

This makes sense.
Does it make sense it's not public record when the county court clerk released the video for $5?

It's public, and trust me it was discussed with attorneys before Angus made the request for it.

These things just don't happen by chance.

Does it make sense it's not public record when the county court clerk released the video for $5?

It's public, and trust me it was discussed with attorneys before Angus made the request for it.

These things just don't happen by chance.

Not everyone who asks a question is trying to argue with you. I was just seeking a better understanding.

Trap

Lil-Rokslider
Take it for what's it's worth, but I think there are legal avenues to get to better stream access in wyoming. Not being a lawyer l, it seems to be spelled out pretty clearly in the interstate commerce act.

I want access to land locked public land as much as the next guy, but forcing easements via eminent domain is not the right course of action, in my opinion.

What may be a better course of action is to look at the BLM policy of multi use. If the ground is landlocked and used only for grazing. It should shoulder a larger financial burden. I will be the first one to admit that folks that have grazing leases that are open to the public have more to deal with in terms of having people on the grazing lease. If the lease is getting exclusive access, that should be reflected in the price of the grazing leases. If the lessee chooses to grant an easement to the grazing leases. That leasee is taking on an additional burden, but keeping with the BLM policy of multi use, and the price of that grass should reflect that.

For an outfit like the Rock Springs Grazzing Association they could see a massive befit for allowing access. For another outfit that treating that ground as private, they would see that exclusive use reflected in the price of their leased grass.

I think we need to keep in mind that if the folks that see corner crossing as an unjust taking of our right to access public land that we dont turn around and call for an unjust taking of private land. The best policy is that of good neighbors.
Imminent domain is scary when you see it exercised. I have an uncle that they punched a highway through his ranch gave him pennies on the dollar. My in laws family homestead was flooded under a reservoir Pennie’s on the dollar for the land. We DO NOT want to encourage the use of imminent domain just so we can access public land. Corner crossing should be 100 percent legal and there are many avenues to open access far better than imminent domain.

Wags

WKR

This makes sense.

BWC footage is public in numerous states. Parts can & will be redacted for various reasons but you can go into those agencies and request specific footages and they will be turned over. That's how most OIS' end up on YouTube.

Squincher

WKR

This makes sense.

For the most part, police records including reports and video tapes, are public information that must be released when the investigation is concluded or after a certain period of time even the case remains open. In this case, the County Attorney doesn't have a leg to stand on in stopping the release of the video. Anyone and everyone with $5 is entitled to the video and can do with it what they please.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patw