Would you hunt with a cheap rifle?

S.Clancy

WKR
Short answer, yes. Longer answer, yes, but with caveats. Those Ruger Americans will shoot better than most people have the skill to, however, their dang clips can suck. My brother killed a pile of stuff with his tho.

I don't see the need to have an expensive rifle since I generally hammer my gear. And I can't stand stuff sitting in the case not getting used. I use the extra money to buy ammo or other stuff.

OP
D.Rose

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
I have no idea why I struggle with it. I can hunt with a bow for 3-4 years and throw it over the bank and leave it with zero attachment if I had to. There seems to be a much deeper attachment with a man and his hunting rifle. I feel like if somebody see's me with my cheap rifle it's like bein seen with an ugly woman out in town. I feel so judged. I just need to know you guys run around with ugly women sometimes to...LOL

You could upgrade the trigger and guard. If it’s your main beef with the rifle, that seems like the easiest/cheapest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robtattoo

WKR
I've never hunted with anything else. Other than the 1 heirloom quality rifle i own (still built on a budget from parts bin scrap....) my 'best' quality gun is a Tikka. Everything else is end of season Walmart sale crap (rem 700s at $249? Who wouldn't?!) used stuff or guns I've built as time & money allowed. Glass included, I'd be astonished if i had a grand in any single using gun i own.
They'll all kill shit deader'n dead.

I guarantee I've got more money invested in ammo, components & reloading gear than i have in guns though. I haven't found a rifle yet, new or old, that i couldn't taylor a load for to get me under an inch* And i spend the range time doing it too.

*actually, that's a bit of a fib. I DID actually buy a better quality rifle (Kimber) & i couldn't get the damn thing to shoot fer shit. Sold it & don't regret it.

CentralFLMike

Lil-Rokslider
I always have and likely always will. All of my rifles are more accurate than me anyway. I put the savings toward good glass, good ammo and components.

I feel like if somebody see's me with my cheap rifle it's like bein seen with an ugly woman out in town. I feel so judged. I just need to know you guys run around with ugly women sometimes to...LOL
Ugly women need loving too...You don't look at the mantel when your poking the fire...

KenLee

WKR
I have no idea why I struggle with it. I can hunt with a bow for 3-4 years and throw it over the bank and leave it with zero attachment if I had to. There seems to be a much deeper attachment with a man and his hunting rifle. I feel like if somebody see's me with my cheap rifle it's like bein seen with an ugly woman out in town. I feel so judged. I just need to know you guys run around with ugly women sometimes to...LOL
After many years and a few wives, looks aren't in the top 5 of qualities I seek in a female.

If it’s accurate, absolutely use it. One of my most accurate rifles is a Remington 700 ADL with the plastic stock and a 5 pound factory trigger.

OP
D.Rose

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
How would it effect the rifle to change stocks? Pretty sure it’s a youth model stock but it’s not terribly uncomfortable to use.

If the new stock is an upgrade (i.e. more stable) the accuracy should be the same or probably improved.

I hunt with a 30-06 760 gamemaster that I paid $150 for. I took a BB gun scope rail mount and drilled it with a cordless drill and cut it in half with a hack saw and painted the cut ends with a black sharpie. Then I used that same drill to re-drill and tap the receiver of the gun….

It’s killed more deer than ehd…

Could I hunt with a high dollar gun? Yes.

Do I need to? No.

However , I do use Swarovski binos….that should tell you something. Lol

Last edited:

BLJ

WKR
I've never hunted with anything else. Other than the 1 heirloom quality rifle i own (still built on a budget from parts bin scrap....) my 'best' quality gun is a Tikka. Everything else is end of season Walmart sale crap (rem 700s at $249? Who wouldn't?!) used stuff or guns I've built as time & money allowed. Glass included, I'd be astonished if i had a grand in any single using gun i own.
They'll all kill shit deader'n dead.

I guarantee I've got more money invested in ammo, components & reloading gear than i have in guns though. I haven't found a rifle yet, new or old, that i couldn't taylor a load for to get me under an inch* And i spend the range time doing it too.

*actually, that's a bit of a fib. I DID actually buy a better quality rifle (Kimber) & i couldn't get the damn thing to shoot fer shit. Sold it & don't regret it.

This. I’m pretty sure @robtattoo and I are related some how. My nice rifle is a Tikka. I’ve never understood why people spend big money on guns they look at and buy cheap ones to do the work. Not directed at the OP. Just a general observation.
If it’s reliable and accurate, go kill stuff.

OP
D.Rose

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I bought a Tikka for my nice rifle to. Then traded for this browning and it out shoots the Tikka by a wide margin. Ive shot 7-8 diff factory loads out of my tikka and it shoots acceptable with one type of ammo. The Browning shoots sub 1” with everything I’ve put through it so far.

Last edited:
I'd wager my Tristar viper shotgun has seen more memories, killed more game, and traveled more miles flawlessly (performance wise) than my 870, 1187 and 725.

To the point I only grab the Tristar.

I love a good looking x bolt, but I like my ruger american, to the point I got rid of the xbolt and my tikka.

They may not be corvettes, but corvettes don't take you to a lot of interesting places, less we're talking midlife crisis

OP
D.Rose

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
So as a grown man carrying a youth model 6.5 creedmore should I carry a rape whistle in the mountains of Southeastern Ky and Tn? Will that be enough to stop someone that is confused about my sexual orientation?

Drenalin

WKR
So as a grown man carrying a youth model 6.5 creedmore should I carry a rape whistle in the mountains of Southeastern Ky and Tn? Will that be enough to stop someone that is confused about my sexual orientation?
Nah, at least not in TN. My brother still hunts with a youth model single shot 20 gauge, and he's 6'3 or 6'4 up over 250 pounds. If it works for you, it works for you.

Now in Kentucky, they like you to toot that whistle. Best to stay quiet and try not to let them know you're around.

KenLee

WKR
Naah if it's an AB3 , they don't make a youth rifle in my eyes. Their micro has a 13 inch length of pull, which is still too long for small kids and small females.
The only true youth rifle Browning sells is the x-bolt micro midas with 12.5 inch lop.