Wool sock recommendations?

hunterjmj

WKR
I bought a pair of Hiawatha socks this year to try. They are half the cost of darn tough with the same warranty. Time will tell.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
Been a SmartWool guy for many years. Tried Darn-Tough, Lorpen, ol' wigwam....

but this year tried 2 pair of Alpaca wool socks. Since September, on 4 hunts, total of 42 days. 2 more hunts to go, December coues & January mulies.

Used with liner cock, unisul and insulated boots. Very pleased with their performance, especially in cold temps w/insulated boots.
Will alternate with the SmartWool, since I have 8 pairs of those. And those with many seasons of use.

rratzlaff1490

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone ever hear of belaga socks? They have been the toughest stink free socks I’ve ran across so far. Mohair blend. Also going to try some socks from Duckworth. It’s a Montana wool company. Seems like they have good stuff

Lots of love here for Darn Tough, and they seem to check the boxes of durable, stink free, and not bagging out. Can't argue there.

That said, I've gotten all that and more out of my First Lite over the calf compression socks. The added benefit is that over the course of a day my feet don't swell which greatly reduces my chance of blisters and overall foot discomfort. I use those things for everything from farm work, to winter running, to hunting and I'm on year 3 of the first 2 pairs with little discernible wear.

Tradchef

WKR
I use Darn Tough. I’m originally from VT and they are fantastic for hunting and backpacking. I’ve had good luck with Farm to Feet as well. Since I’ve lived in montana for a good while I’ve used alpacas of montana wool socks and hats. Super good stuff as well

DeerCatcherUT/CO

Lil-Rokslider
Darn tough and lorpen. Don’t buy smartwool. They’re good for maybe one year. Darn tough has a lifetime guarantee for a reason. If they had to reimburse you every year they wouldn’t make any money

Extrapale

WKR
Lots of love here for Darn Tough, and they seem to check the boxes of durable, stink free, and not bagging out. Can't argue there.

That said, I've gotten all that and more out of my First Lite over the calf compression socks. The added benefit is that over the course of a day my feet don't swell which greatly reduces my chance of blisters and overall foot discomfort. I use those things for everything from farm work, to winter running, to hunting and I'm on year 3 of the first 2 pairs with little discernible wear.
I am going g to check these out. Swelling feet and lower legs is a thing for me now. Especially on long drives to a hunt.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I am going g to check these out. Swelling feet and lower legs is a thing for me now. Especially on long drives to a hunt.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Great idea! I use them for that and long plane rides too. Business trip? 1 pair. 10 days in the back country? 2 pair, one to wear and one drying out.

What's your go-to sock on hunts when you'll be going several days without a shower? It sounds like merino is the way to go for sweat/odor protection, but what's your favorite specific brand? I'm kinda fussy about good elastic so they don't fall down. Both my hunting boots and work boots are getting some funk, so I'm ready to try something. Help me save some headaches buying shitty socks!

Josh
I've really been impressed with my Crispi merino wool socks. Worn them for 8 days straight with no stink and they remained comfortable. I do have pretty tough feet that don't sweat much though.

Bolt

Lil-Rokslider
Can't go wrong with kenetrek

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Brooks

WKR
I’ve tried Darn Tough but the best I’ve found are the SmartWool socks ! I don’t even need to tape up my feet anymore.

jrypka

FNG
Good thread. I'm thinking I need to try the Darn Tough, though some of the reports about not the best moisture control make me pause a bit. I'd give up some durability for better moisture wicking. That said, I'm still running various weights of various poly blends of Cabelas brand that have gotten me through numerous Alaska sheep and moose hunts, in addition to a handful of western hunts.

wcarper

FNG
Which style of Darn Tough do you recommend? For cold weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VO2Max

FNG
What's your go-to sock on hunts when you'll be going several days without a shower? It sounds like merino is the way to go for sweat/odor protection, but what's your favorite specific brand? I'm kinda fussy about good elastic so they don't fall down. Both my hunting boots and work boots are getting some funk, so I'm ready to try something. Help me save some headaches buying shitty socks!

Josh
Darn Tough hikers all day long. And, if you are able to put a hole in them, they have a lifetime guarantee where you send the socks with holes back and they send you a new pair. I have yet to be able to put a hole in any of mine at the sole but have put a few small holes in the upper portion d/t wear and pulling on them.

This might sound crazy, but the heavyweight darn tough full cushion socks make my feet sweat WAY less than their midweight cushion socks. They heavy ones are still warmer but my feet breathe better. I know it sounds weird but this is the case for me.

Jakerex

WKR
What is everyone’s go-to darn tough sock? There’s a lot of styles to pick from. If you could have one style for wear fall through winter.