Wool sock recommendations?

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
I can't complain with Darn Tough, they do their job and they last forever, but I have a few I feel are just a little better for warmth, comfort, and moisture management than my Darn Tough.

BKhunter

WKR
For the folks that use darn tough anyone wearing a liner? If so what liners? And do you all prefer the hiker or hunter version for an Elk hunt?

For the folks that use darn tough anyone wearing a liner? If so what liners? And do you all prefer the hiker or hunter version for an Elk hunt?

I don’t wear them all the time but I do like them in cold weather because I think they help wick the moisture away so my feet stay warmer in I insulated boots. Bridgedale Coolmax liners work very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
I end up wearing Injinji liners with individual toe pockets stitched in. Used to get bad toe blisters and they work great. I use the hiker darn toughs.

For the Alpaca folks...do they seem to dry out well over night? Do you rotate 2 pairs? I'd be interested to hear about the system you use with those socks

What's your go-to sock on hunts when you'll be going several days without a shower? It sounds like merino is the way to go for sweat/odor protection, but what's your favorite specific brand? I'm kinda fussy about good elastic so they don't fall down. Both my hunting boots and work boots are getting some funk, so I'm ready to try something. Help me save some headaches buying shitty socks!

Josh
I like darn tough or farm to feet both have been great for me on a 5 day hunt I'll pack a spare set and hang the previous days set in the tent and have never had any odor or hotspot issues.

grfox92

WKR
Sierra had some Farm to Feet seconds for dirt cheap last fall. I bought them having never used them before.

By far the best quality, durability and comfort of any wool sock I have ever used. I'll be looking to add a bunch more.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Bazookas

FNG
“Darn Tough socks are designed to be worn without liners. As mentioned above, you shouldn’t need liners if your socks have a performance fit and properly regulate moisture and temperature. This is where Darn Tough excels.”

WisHunt

FNG
Used a pair of darn tough hunter socks and Merrill GTX boots. Walked through a flooded field around 5:30am expected it to walk dry by 10:30am still soaked.

rambo2345

WKR
I have accumulated so many different ones over the years, I do not know the brands any more.

SM1

FNG
Kenetreks for me for late October elk through end of December MN whitetail in tree stands.

I’ve got 1-2 pairs of darn toughs and thought they were just ok, but might have to try one of their other styles based on all the above posts.

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
For the Alpaca folks...do they seem to dry out well over night? Do you rotate 2 pairs? I'd be interested to hear about the system you use with those socks
Depends on atmospheric conditions and how wet they are when you take them off. I don't really do multi-day hunts or hunts where I hike 5+ miles in a day so there are probably better people out there to comment, but in my experience if you hang them out to dry overnight on a night that isn't overly damp you can probably wear them in the morning assuming they're just a little sweaty. If they're soaked, like you stepped in a creek, they could take longer.

It will likely also depend on manufacturer. I have a bunch of alpaca socks from Pacas and Paka to a few local farms. They're all a little different.

I'd do a 3 sock rotation. The great thing about alpaca (just like merino) is they take a long time to build up stink. I wore some of my socks multiple times a week for about a month before they really started to stink. I think a three sock rotation could comfortably get you through just about any hunt.

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
Darn tough, farm to feet, or smart wool.
I check steepandcheap.com for whatever deals they have on them. Never pay full price :)
Heck, some of my camping stuff came from them too