Wood for smoking?

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
That's pretty universal regardless of smoker type, because many things we use to flavor food (including wood smoke) are much more readily absorbed by fat than muscle.
I know that now. I didn’t 10 years ago when I got my smoker. That thanksgiving turkey looked like it was wrapped in electrical tape.

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on meat, I like cherry for pork. Apple and hickory on turkey, ckn.
Hickory and oak on game meat
I lIke hickory & mesquite for beef and pork (might add fruit wood) I’m big on hickory and apple. Honestly I’d smoke salmon or turkey with hickory and do a butt with apple wood. Regardless of what I use the food is always good.

MTtrout

WKR
I now buy wood chunks for my smoke. For those of you making your own, how do you do it? When I first started smoking I tried making my own from plum/apricots varieties we had access to at our rental to a colleague giving me peach and cherry cuts of branches. I’d strip the bark but it always had a bitter taste or off taste. All the wood was dry. I’ve stopped trying that and have bought wood chunks since then. Is there a trick to drying or preparing the wood? I’d like to try again with some apple trees we have. Thanks

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve done it before. I tried to get 2-4” chunks. I cut them up and stored them until I forgot about them. Lol over a year depending on moisture/storage.

Felton

WKR
I now buy wood chunks for my smoke. For those of you making your own, how do you do it? When I first started smoking I tried making my own from plum/apricots varieties we had access to at our rental to a colleague giving me peach and cherry cuts of branches. I’d strip the bark but it always had a bitter taste or off taste. All the wood was dry. I’ve stopped trying that and have bought wood chunks since then. Is there a trick to drying or preparing the wood? I’d like to try again with some apple trees we have. Thanks
I like pecan wood. I’d take a 8-14 in diameter limb and cut it into 3 inch plates. From there I’d bust those up into chunks the size of my fist 🤜 maybe a little bigger. I use charcoal as my heat source and throw 3-4 chunks on as needed. When I thought about it well enough in advance I’d soak my wood the night before to help down the burning.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I use an A-Maz-N pellet smoker now for everything in all my smokers. I had a guy here who sold the pellets on a side hustle for cheap. Apple, cherry for beef, ALL hog meat gets hickory (should be illegal to use anything else IMO). I've been goofing with mesquite for a few items and have liked it too.

One thing to think about if you haven't cut your own before (hard to tell from the original post) is that it will take time for the wood (depends on thickness some but a year is a good rule of thumb) to dry out enough that it's good to smoke with. You may already be well aware, I just didn't see it come up in this thread yet.

OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
One thing to think about if you haven't cut your own before (hard to tell from the original post) is that it will take time for the wood (depends on thickness some but a year is a good rule of thumb) to dry out enough that it's good to smoke with. You may already be well aware, I just didn't see it come up in this thread yet.
Great point. My dad made me chop and stack wood as a kid so we always had seasoned wood for the fireplace.

ChrisS

WKR
I'll second the recommendation to check with a local cabinet or furniture shop for oak scraps. You don't need much and they probably have waaaay too much. I've slowly been building out my woodshop over the last few years and even as a hobbyist, I empty a 30 gal tub every other month. In the past, I just would use a few chunks of apple or oak on lump charcoal. It was plenty.

Eyeman

FNG
TEXAS Mesquite.
I soak chunks in water overnight and throw em on.
Neighbors love the smell and the chickens I bring em.

ptarmigan

FNG
Mesquite for beef, fruitwoods for pork and chicken, and alder for fish (I don't mind it for beef either, like they use at Glacier Brewhouse in Anchorage). Wait for deals at Lowes or Ace and load up. My buddy bought a pallet of mesquite logs at Lowes for next to nothing once. I cut up a few totes of alder out in Prince William Sound last year. Got enough to last forever.

Last edited:

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah a year depending on how and where you store it. Climate matters too. I cut a bunch of hickory up and stored it under a lean-to and it took about a year and a half for it to dry up.