wolves, we have enough.....

Walmart Greeter

Lil-Rokslider
To be accurate, the bison were NOT eradicated, they were saved from eradication by conservationists. Then there is the recovery of the whitetail, the beaver,and the wild turkey, all due to the efforts of conservationists.
And why did they all need to be recovered? And how is that wild bison population doing these days?

Walmart Greeter

Lil-Rokslider
Don't blame me if your attitudes align with the woke; they also think they are objective when cancelling history. We will eventually have to extirpate wolves again, and for the same reasons our forebearers did. I'm not going to sugarcoat any argument for the lowest common denominator. Lying to the ignorant, or the just plain stupid, to get your way doesn't do them a service.
Describe my attitude, and how it aligns with the woke

EdP

WKR
And why did they all need to be recovered?
Why any species needed to be recovered is irrelevant to whether or not we should trust conservationists today.

And how is that wild bison population doing these days?
Quite well actually considering that human population levels require most of the historical bison habitat to be used for food production. The American Bison is not an endangered species.

From Wikipedia: "Recovery efforts expanded in the mid-20th century, with a resurgence to roughly 31,000 wild bison as of March 2019.[7] For many years, the population was primarily found in a few national parks and reserves. Through multiple reintroductions, the species now freely roams wild in several regions in the United States,"

Walmart Greeter

Lil-Rokslider
Why any species needed to be recovered is irrelevant to whether or not we should trust conservationists today.

Quite well actually considering that human population levels require most of the historical bison habitat to be used for food production. The American Bison is not an endangered species.

From Wikipedia: "Recovery efforts expanded in the mid-20th century, with a resurgence to roughly 31,000 wild bison as of March 2019.[7] For many years, the population was primarily found in a few national parks and reserves. Through multiple reintroductions, the species now freely roams wild in several regions in the United States,"
The article you posted earlier said that there were 60 million bison historically so the current population of 31,000 would indicate a reduction by 99.95 percent of the population. And that’s your definition of “quite well.”

My original comment that pissed everyone off was implying that we can’t just refer to our ancestors as examples of successful conservationists. So saying that wolves don’t belong here because they didn’t like them is not going to help you prevent more states from voting them into existence. Gaining more support from non hunters in order to make the anti wolf voice louder will, and that argument is not the way to do it. I’m trying to help you come up with a better strategy to promote the anti wolf agenda and you all are calling me woke because it’s easier to regurgitate rhetoric among your buddies than to find weaknesses in your own arguments and weed them out.

EdP

WKR
And that’s your definition of “quite well.”

Yes, in consideration that humans cannot exist in our current numbers on the NA continent with 60 million bison roaming the plains. The species is not endangered.

My original comment that pissed everyone off was implying that we can’t just refer to our ancestors as examples of successful conservationists.

That is not correct. What pissed everyone off is that you said there is no reason to think that our current methods of conservation can be successful, and that is clearly mistaken.

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
And why did they all need to be recovered? And how is that wild bison population doing these days?
There were 25 million people in the US around the time bison were being market hunted.
Around 350 million now.
I'd say this has an effect on the numbers they could achieve/will allow now,

R

Last edited:

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
The article you posted earlier said that there were 60 million bison historically so the current population of 31,000 would indicate a reduction by 99.95 percent of the population. And that’s your definition of “quite well.”

My original comment that pissed everyone off was implying that we can’t just refer to our ancestors as examples of successful conservationists. So saying that wolves don’t belong here because they didn’t like them is not going to help you prevent more states from voting them into existence. Gaining more support from non hunters in order to make the anti wolf voice louder will, and that argument is not the way to do it. I’m trying to help you come up with a better strategy to promote the anti wolf agenda and you all are calling me woke because it’s easier to regurgitate rhetoric among your buddies than to find weaknesses in your own arguments and weed them out.
You act as if they can be reasoned with.
The game is fixed.
See conservation by ballot.
With this ^^^ why do we pay for PHDs conservation employees to "direct" conservation efforts/programs?

R

Hnthrdr

WKR
It absolutely applies. The eradication of bison destroys any credibility of our ancestors as conservationists so deferring to their “expertise” in any matters regarding wildlife management is foolish
Conservation wasn’t really a thing until the early 1900’s which was post bison eradication. TR and Aldo and the like kind of started picking up on maybe we shouldn’t kill all the critters all the time

2-Stix

WKR
The bison was removed to starve the Native Americans for manifest destiny. My family was on the trail of tears and moved west during the dustbowls after that. My great-grandmother was off the Rez and I would hear stories as a kid.

The wolves were removed to run cattle and provide more game for the manifest destiny. Lewis and Clark in their writings talked about the absence of game in certain regions with high preditors.

I dont see the reason to conect who did this, but to know the why is what is important.

Wolves will remove game, which will create less hunting, less guns, more govt control of the 2A and us. Call it tinfoil...it is happening. There are far less hunters per capita now.