Wolf Hunting Tips

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
@jhamilton5495 would equate it to learning to be ok in the dark by yourself. Unnerving at first you then adapt and enjoy it. It will definitely get your adrenaline going hearing them howling in the dark. The closer you are the more eerie it is.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kind of, two of us went shed hunting several yrs ago packed in 5 miles and camped in a meadow that was a rendezvous spot for wolves with wolf tracks all over and scat in the meadow we camped. That night around 2 am three wolves started howling and working toward the meadow. We listened for about an hr as they closed in you could tell the alpha. Let them get to within about 100 yds. Finally I said I want to sleep got out of the tent and fired off a few .45s and one took off about 50 yds in the brush no more howling. Next morning we had wolf tracks in our tracks as we left. A local person killed 3 of them from the several packs in their that fall.

Attachments

• IMG_0635.jpeg
    IMG_0635.jpeg
    591 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0634.jpeg
    IMG_0634.jpeg
    563.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0633.jpeg
    IMG_0633.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0632.jpeg
    IMG_0632.jpeg
    359.6 KB · Views: 19
Kind of, two of us went shed hunting several yrs ago packed in 5 miles and camped in a meadow that was a rendezvous spot for wolves with wolf tracks all over and scat in the meadow we camped. That night around 2 am three wolves started howling and working toward the meadow. We listened for about an hr as they closed in you could tell the alpha. Let them get to within about 100 yds. Finally I said I want to sleep got out of the tent and fired off a few .45s and one took off about 50 yds in the brush no more howling. Next morning we had wolf tracks in our tracks as we left. A local person killed 3 of them from the several packs in their that fall.
Are they still skiddish towards humans at night too?