Wolf Depredation In Grand County, CO

Billinsd

WKR
That way, one population center can't dictate how the state is run, when 75% of the rest of the state is against it. I kind of think that's how our national elections should go. Each state gets one vote for president.
Right, we live in a Democratic Republic with an electoral college that elects our Presidents and a Constitution. At the beginning the big states like New York and Pennsylvania had to compromise, so that they couldn't just walk over the smaller states. Otherwise the smaller states would have never joined. It's one of the great things about America that differentiates the rest of the world, who have very few freedoms and us who have the most, bar none. Benjamin Franklin explained the difference between Democracy and Democratic Republic. https://images.app.goo.gl/cfT8dsMGJRPasuH29

Attachments

• 2jlqfj.jpg
    2jlqfj.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
For anyone who does not get the emails… This is a separate depredation event by a separate population of wolves admitted to be of the reintroduction population.

On the morning of April 7, CPW received a report of a possible depredation incident in Jackson County. A CPW wildlife officer responded and conducted a field investigation.

The field investigation found injuries on a dead calf consistent with wolf depredation, including a partially consumed hindquarter. Partial wolf tracks were also found in the same area. CPW is aware of four wolves in the area and these included wolves that were released in December 2023 and a wolf or wolves with known territory in North Park.

Additionally, CPW and CDA have been working together through a Memorandum of Understanding and have been building the capacity to anticipate and prepare for predator livestock incidents and are working towards deploying range riders in coming weeks and other tools to help ranchers with non-lethal deterrence: https://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/News-Release-Details.aspx?NewsID=4081

CPW will not be providing any further specific location or specific animal information related to this incident. The CORA exception covering species locations (24-72-204(2)(a)(X)) allows CPW to withhold information that "reveals the specific location or could be used to determine the specific location of . . . an individual animal or group of animals." Identifying the wolf or wolves potentially involved could allow someone to determine the specific location of those animals.

The livestock producer could be eligible for the fair market value of the livestock if a claim is submitted. CPW provides reimbursement for damages caused by gray wolves to livestock defined in C.R.S. 33-2-105.8 and animals used for guard/herding purposes and provides conflict minimization materials to livestock producers in affected areas under its Gray Wolf Compensation and Conflict Minimization Program.

CPW will continue to work closely with US Fish and Wildlife Service and the agricultural community to successfully implement the impact-based management framework laid out in Chapter 5 of the Colorado Wolf Restoration and Management Plan.

Hnthrdr

WKR
2 in a week and the calves up in the mountain ranches haven’t been on the ground long… this blows that livestock producers can’t even protect their property

Ballot initiatives like the wolf one should require a much higher % of yes votes to pass. When it is almost 50/50, that's not much of a public mandate to reintroduce wolves. Or perhaps they should do county wide votes, and each county gets one vote for yes or no based on the majority in that county. That way, one population center can't dictate how the state is run, when 75% of the rest of the state is against it. I kind of think that's how our national elections should go. Each state gets one vote for president.
If ballot initiatives are to be used as the primary game management tool then ALL public funding of ALL wildlife and wildlife habitat studies should be eliminated as well as funding for game management agencies.

The problem is there is only one perspective in Co. the uni-party way. The “others” can kick or scream all we want, but with complete legislative chokehold, they do whatever they please with no repercussions.
That’s correct. Colorado is a single political party state, sort of like China. They control literally every lever of political power at the state level. Despite being a rather small minority, the anti-hunting- anti-agriculture contingent yields an outsize amount of influence within that same controlling party.

There are a lot of differing opinions and views: ranchers, animal advocates, conservationist, hunters, residents, non residents, biologists, and others. I think it is healthy to debate the issues and to consider differing viewpoints. Here is a recent article for a different perspective - https://coloradosun.com/2024/03/20/opinion-colorado-wildlife-commission-resign/
I wouldn’t hold up that article as a good example of a “differing” opinion. That’s just Skiba throwing a tantrum after he couldn’t get the votes for Senate confirmation and had to resign. He has the nerve to make the claim that he is the only person who can effectively represent hunters and yet he publicly trashes hunters in an article? Come on now. He also makes a pretty awful claim that hunters don’t care about wildlife and endangered species. I was at the committee hearing and at no point was a Senator rude to any of the appointees. That is just a lie. He also fails to acknowledge that hunters didn’t kill his appointment, it was the livestock growers. They were concerned with his over the top advocacy for wolf reintroduction and his work with WildEarth Guardians. And rightfully so. Skiba lost all credibility with this article.

Complete 180 from when I got here in 98. It's been a fairly quick move, too.
Some of it has been the significant population growth in urban/suburban areas and natural political shift that comes with it. However, many chalk it up to a deliberate political strategy starting in the early 2000’s by ultra wealthy progressive donors who are referred to as the four horsemen. Polis is one of them. They also funded groups like ProgressNow and New Era Colorado to shift voter preferences and consolidate political power under one party. There is any interesting book about it, how they turned Colorado blue.

Last edited:
I won't name names, but I've heard a bunch of Wyo folk who say if they see a CO tagged wolf, they won't have a problem shooting it.

I've also been encouraged by other Colorado hunters I won't associate with anymore, that "we should all just shoot the ones we see, and pocket the casings". "Shoot it and Shut up", the last guy said.

This whole thing is breeding worse hunters, and conservation is 1000% not the winner in any situation where folks feel like they are entitled to cowboy diplomacy.

I only started hunting recently, and I have no real agenda other than, I don't want to lose access to hunting rights or public land access. I'd like to have a little success in the woods before it is stripped away from me before I even begin.
Would suggest lightening up your sense of humor, you are not going to like this forum if a couple shoot and shovel jokes set you off. This is not breeding worse hunters, I tend to think selfies and social media is, and conservation already lost when the vote carried. Maybe chill on the sweeping moral accusations as someone who just stuck their toe in the water.

WTFJohn

WKR
2 in a week and the calves up in the mountain ranches haven’t been on the ground long… this blows that livestock producers can’t even protect their property

Lethal take under 10(j) is authorized if a livestock owner/agent thereof catches wolves in the act of chasing, biting, attacking, etc... livestock that a reasonable person believes would kill the livestock (cows, horses, sheep, goats, etc), livestock herding animals, or livestock guardian animals. This is a permit that can/will be issued retroactively on a good shoot. A bad shoot can expect a USFWS criminal investigation.

CPW will not be codifying the definition of 'chronic depredation' until it's May meeting.

Wolf 2301 in North Park might have as many as 17 depredations (at a cost of over $40k in payouts) to his credit since he naturally came into the state in Dec 2021, and was denied a lethal take permit this winter.

References:
2301 kill tally (open in private window if needed to view)

Permit Denial

The wolves there are responsible for killing or injuring seven of Don Gittleson’s cows, six of his neighbor’s cows, and for killing three lambs on the Anderson ranch, and for killing three ranch dogs and another pet. The pair of wolves are responsible for killing or injuring at 20 domestic animals in Jackson County since at least December 2021.

The Director of Colorado Parks and Wildlife, Jeff Davis, sent a letter to Gittleson Friday after Gittleson requested that the two gray wolves (2101 and 2301) be lethally removed using the 10(J) Rule. One of the wolves attacked a Gittleson calf earlier this month, reported first here on Steamboat Radio News.

The letter from Davis today said CPW looked at the history of wolf depredation events in that area, but made the decision, “based on a change in pack dynamics that took place over the preceding year when most of the pack left the area and did not return.” There were originally the one breeding pair and they had six offspring. At least three crossed the border into Wyoming and were killed there. There are only two still in Jackson County.

This image below is not correct, but it is what CPW has on it's website. Color me shocked it's incorrect.

Screen Shot 2024-04-09 at 6.58.14 PM.png

Hnthrdr

WKR
Lethal take under 10(j) is authorized if a livestock owner/agent thereof catches wolves in the act of chasing, biting, attacking, etc... livestock that a reasonable person believes would kill the livestock (cows, horses, sheep, goats, etc), livestock herding animals, or livestock guardian animals. This is a permit that can/will be issued retroactively on a good shoot. A bad shoot can expect a USFWS criminal investigation.

CPW will not be codifying the definition of 'chronic depredation' until it's May meeting.

Wolf 2301 in North Park might have as many as 17 depredations (at a cost of over $40k in payouts) to his credit since he naturally came into the state in Dec 2021, and was denied a lethal take permit this winter.

References:
2301 kill tally (open in private window if needed to view)

Permit Denial

This image below is not correct, but it is what CPW has on it's website. Color me shocked it's incorrect.

View attachment 698682
Well from the mouth of an affected cattleman. He told us that “chronic depredation” was needed for the 10j to take effect, and also said ever rancher is scared to death of the backlash of being the first person to kill one of these wolves, better have your affairs in order cause the state will stick a microscope so far up your ass they will find a cavity on your molar…

WTFJohn

WKR
Well from the mouth of an affected cattleman. He told us that “chronic depredation” was needed for the 10j to take effect, and also said ever rancher is scared to death of the backlash of being the first person to kill one of these wolves, better have your affairs in order cause the state will stick a microscope so far up your ass they will find a cavity on your molar…

I do not disagree with that sentiment. I'm just repeating things direct from CPW as of this afternoon and doing my best to keep personal opinions out of it.

The state will not issue a preemptive lethal take permit at this time, based off December. Livestock owners have been covered for 'in the act' lethal take under 10(j) for a bit.

That does not change the size of the microscope up your ass, or the inevitable public outing.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I do not disagree with that sentiment. I'm just repeating things direct from CPW as of this afternoon and doing my best to keep personal opinions out of it.

The state will not issue a preemptive lethal take permit at this time, based off December. Livestock owners have been covered for 'in the act' lethal take under 10(j) for a bit.

That does not change the size of the microscope up your ass, or the inevitable public outing.
For sure I appreciate the objective take. I’m not sure how familiar you are with ranching, I have family that have been in the business since 1870… In theory catching them in the act would be ideal, but then it’s a heresay thing, maybe hope an animal has bite marks on its leg/flank, most if not all ranchers would be hard pressed to do this unless they are range riding, which depending on the size of your operation would be a dumb luck thing, good reason why the old timers would poison a carcass to kill wolves

WTFJohn

WKR
For sure I appreciate the objective take. I’m not sure how familiar you are with ranching, I have family that have been in the business since 1870… In theory catching them in the act would be ideal, but then it’s a heresay thing, maybe hope an animal has bite marks on its leg/flank, most if not all ranchers would be hard pressed to do this unless they are range riding, which depending on the size of your operation would be a dumb luck thing, good reason why the old timers would poison a carcass to kill wolves

We are producers in that part of the state, I have had CPW on site visits, and I attended the CPW Wolf meeting in Kremmling today. I understand the chances of an 'in the act' interaction.

Hnthrdr

WKR
We are producers in that part of the state, I have had CPW on site visits, and I attended the CPW Wolf meeting in Kremmling today. I understand the chances of an 'in the act' interaction.
I’m sorry, thankfully my family’s ranch is in Northern AZ, no woofs to speak of… yet but bears and lions occasionally. You are in the thick of it id imagine. Are you trying to ride with the herd at all?

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn’t hold up that article as a good example of a “differing” opinion. That’s just Skiba throwing a tantrum after he couldn’t get the votes for Senate confirmation and had to resign. He has the nerve to make the claim that he is the only person who can effectively represent hunters and yet he publicly trashes hunters in an article? Come on now. He also makes a pretty awful claim that hunters don’t care about wildlife and endangered species. I was at the committee hearing and at no point was a Senator rude to any of the appointees. That is just a lie. He also fails to acknowledge that hunters didn’t kill his appointment, it was the livestock growers. They were concerned with his over the top advocacy for wolf reintroduction and his work with WildEarth Guardians. And rightfully so. Skiba lost all credibility with this article.

Tongue in cheek...When is the last time he held a hunting license?