Winter house heat setting?

49ereric

WKR
Do you guys that use almost exclusively wood just have a ton of acreage you can harvest from?
Even if I did, the time involved, I'd have to give up a hobby or work less.

I love my wood burning stove, but at least here, wood to keep the place 70 all winter is significantly more expensive(by the cord) than the natural gas to keep it 70. The wood is for extra toasty evenings and ambiance more than cost savings.
I know we can get permits from the FS to cut trees, but the time involved in that, it's far cheaper to pick up an extra shift at work and pay for the NG or wood.
We cut down and dead wood in the forest and ash swamps when they are dry.
wind damaged hard maple trees we cut the broken off parts and leave what is standing for the Pileated and other woodpeckers.

Spike elk

WKR
We leave ours at 63 but burn lodgepole and fir all winter. The furnace usually kicks on in the early morning and runs until the next fire is started. I combine the wood cutting in the early summer with camping and scouting trips. It is all cut and stacked by the time hunting season starts.

Miboy86

Lil-Rokslider
66 or 68 on a gas furnace, i'd have it lower cause i hate being hot but gotta think of the kids.

ArcherAnthony

Lil-Rokslider
Here in TX I usually run my A/C and keep it on 68 most all winter. But occasionally have to turn the heater on and set it at 65. ;)

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
We are more focused on how often the furnace runs. Mild winters it’s set to 68 and runs 20% of day.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Pro tip for those with spouses that focus on the number. Some thermostats can be programmed to display an offset temperature. So you can set it for 68 but the display says 70. Everybody wins
Unless 68 isn't warm enough for one of the spouses. ;)

I set it at 67 at night and generally 70 when I wake up. I'd set it lower at night, but then it takes forever to get it up to 70 in the morning.

manitou1

WKR
68 heat in winter... 72 ac in summer.

We have two chihuahuas that would be pupsicles if any colder... and my wife gets cold just looking at the refrigerator, lol.

manitou1

WKR
Seeing lots of comments with two settings…..a high setting for the daytime and a lower setting for the nighttime.

i recall hearing (or maybe an urban legend) that it’s more cost efficient to keep the hvac set at a constant setting instead of varying it over day and nighttime settings. The theory (or urban legend ) is that whatever you save with a lower nighttime setting, you lose bringing the house up to the daytime setting.

anybody have any insight
I have read the same many times over.

onlybrowning

Lil-Rokslider
Old farmhouse…some updated insulation, and updated hvac so we can have central ac. In winter, I keep the thermostat at 66-68, but the heat only ever kicks on if it gets below about 18-20 overnight. Hearthstone soapstone stove was a great investment. Something about heating with wood that I enjoy (for the time being). By April my mood usually changes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hj3!

FNG
I prefer 70 most of the year. The wife likes it a bit cooler. So when she changes the thermostat on me I don’t complain. Perks of saving some cash on the heat bill as well as having some eye candy. I mean… tic-tacs. I mean… did I say perky or perks? 😂