Will Vehicle Prices Ever Decrease?

270quest

WKR
My wife has a 2021 TRD OFF Road SR5 Premium 4 runner. Was 48k new when we bought it in November 2020.
It now has 82000 miles on it and has been flawless. Just normal fluid/oil maintenance and tires to this point. Loan payoff is December 2026 so guessing it should have around 115-120k when paid off and the plan is to keep it long term and drive it to 250-300k miles. The 4.0 v6 and 5 speed trans may not be the latest and greatest but it is as bombproof as it gets.

The resell is also ridiculous on 4 runners. We could sell her car right now and do very very well.

I love the look of the new 4runners and did some research on them, but with the newness/reliability concerns of the turbo 4 cylinder and the cost - we will be keeping ours for a good long while.

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
Go buy used! Pick from:
F150s and you get cam phaser issues, turbos needing replacement, timing chain rattle, excessive oil consumption and the awesome CDF drum slippage in the 10 speed!

Rams you get a giant display that probably won't work, it will start rusting if you splash water on it, and you'll definitely be needing work on those exhaust manifolds.

Chevy/GM - Cylinder deactivation engine grenading, electrical gremlins, still can't prevent rear wheel wells from rusting, and their 10 speed is the same as fords so you too can enjoy those hard shifts and transmission rebuilds before 75,000 miles!

Nissan - oof.

Toyota - anybody want these metal shavings I found in the oil pan of this turbo V-6?

They are all junk. I need the crew cab for hauling kids or I'd go back to a restored square body like I had in high school.

Yooper

WKR
Been on the lookout for a new vehicle for a few months now after some bad experiences with my current truck and I'll echo the others that say the best buy right now is a used vehicle. Look at the Carfax and make sure service was appropriate. Take the money saved and set some aside for unforeseen repairs.

$66k for a 4Runner.....holy mother of god that's insane!

LFC911

WKR
I've made money on several Toyota's buying used and selling them a couple of years later.

I will also note that i've broke even on a couple of new Toyota's purchased in ~2020 and sold a couple of years later but I don't think that will happen again.

CorbLand

WKR
There is some truth to this. The sword cuts both ways though. I paid $18k for my 08 with 84k miles on it. Four years and 72k miles later and it still books at $15k.
Bought an 01 Tundra in 2012 for 7500. Put 50K on it and insurance gave me 10500.00 for it when it got totaled back in March. Damn near broke even on that when you count the maintenance and tires I put on it.

Bad timing though as I got to pay the inflated prices to get a used Tacoma to replace it.

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
Vehicles now days are lasting longer than ever. Remember when a truck had 100k on it and it was basically wore out? (Someone will now come along and tell the story about their 1985 that had 400k on it--that is the exception, not the rule) Now, trucks with 150k are selling for big bucks. So for that we can be thankful. Still sucks the new prices are so high. I predict you might get some nice rebates from time to time, but I doubt the MSRPs will come down any.

Pulleye16

FNG
I believe jeep and ram are offering HUGE discounts right now. I’ve seen Jeep $20k off MSRP and Ram $10k off.

CorbLand

WKR
I believe jeep and ram are offering HUGE discounts right now. I’ve seen Jeep $20k off MSRP and Ram $10k off.
Do yourself a favor if you buy either, just drop it off at the mechanic on the way home. Saves you from having to have it towed back.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
just bought a 24 GMC 2500 duramax crew 4x4. X31 package. 8k off MSRP. So they are coming down.

As far as MSRP coming down. Aint gonna happen.

elkliver

WKR
Go buy used! Pick from:
F150s and you get cam phaser issues, turbos needing replacement, timing chain rattle, excessive oil consumption and the awesome CDF drum slippage in the 10 speed!

Rams you get a giant display that probably won't work, it will start rusting if you splash water on it, and you'll definitely be needing work on those exhaust manifolds.

Chevy/GM - Cylinder deactivation engine grenading, electrical gremlins, still can't prevent rear wheel wells from rusting, and their 10 speed is the same as fords so you too can enjoy those hard shifts and transmission rebuilds before 75,000 miles!

Nissan - oof.

Toyota - anybody want these metal shavings I found in the oil pan of this turbo V-6?

They are all junk. I need the crew cab for hauling kids or I'd go back to a restored square body like I had in high school.
Spur 60...want to elaborate on Nissan - oof? I know that Titans have a tone of issues but looking at 2008-2011 Nissan Frontiers. Sounds like you have some experience with a variety of vehicles

Pulleye16

FNG
Do yourself a favor if you buy either, just drop it off at the mechanic on the way home. Saves you from having to have it towed back.

That goes for just about any new truck these days.

I'd trust either above before I'd step foot in GMC/Chevy...

I bought a new 2024 F450 crew-cab 8' box Super Duty and it was delivered about 6 months ago.....it's a wonderful truck. 16mpg around town and 24mpg on the highway and it rides like a caddy.....and that 475hp/1050 ft lbs torque diesel pulls like a monster. You can't even feel the 10 speed tranny shifting. Better fuel mileage than my buddys 2017 Tundra, rides way better, way more quiet, has a sharper turn radius, hauls 4x as much, pulls 4x as much, aluminum body/box does not rust, I get a ton of compliments on it, built in Kentucky, 100K warranty, can hold a party in the spacious cab and I can put his Toy in the bed to haul it to the scrapyard and it didn't cost a whole lot more than a new Tundra. What's not to like? Back to the question...no, new auto prices are not coming down with the auto workers recent bloated contracts and high materials costs...remember, a new vehicle has at least 40 computer chips in it and many a lot more and metal prices are high. One of the reasons I wanted to order this truck before the Ford workers contract expired and they went on strike last fall. Probably saved myself about 4K.