Wild Game Recipes

huck

Lil-Rokslider
HA kinda funny, if work lets up tonight Im planninig on trying a new pickled heart recipe and canning it . So Ill let you know.

pingsc

FNG
@Patton, what’s your go-to larb recipe? I had a roommate once who married a Thai girl, and she made some amazing larb that I’ve never been able to replicate.

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
@Patton, what’s your go-to larb recipe? I had a roommate once who married a Thai girl, and she made some amazing larb that I’ve never been able to replicate.
I’m terrible about following a recipe but this is what I’m going off of.

Venison Thai Larb
1 lb ground venison
3 cloves crushed garlic
1 red chili
2 cups chopped green beans
2 cups shredded cabbage
1 lime-ring finely grated
2 tbs lime juice
1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
2 tsp fish sauce
4 spring onions and green tops (chopped)
1/2 cup fresh coriander (chopped)
1/2 cup mint (roughly torn)
1/3 cup unsalted peanuts (crushed)

Light coat of peanut oil on a nonstick pan and brown meat. Season with salt and pepper. Add onion, red chili, green beans and cook for three minutes. Add cabbage, lime rind and juice, liquid sauces, and cook until cabbage softens; 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and toss in green onion, coriander, and mint. Can serve as lettuce wraps, with vermicelli noodles, fried rice, brown rice.

pk_

WKR
Best thing I have made with deer so far:

Tuna of the swamp(or tuna of the woods, mountain, prairie etc… choose your own title that fits)

Trim backstrap nice nice, no fat or silver skin or sinew of course.
Freeze backstrap for 2 days if you are concenrned
Defrost but keep it cold(straight out of fridge).
Dab it dry with paper towel
Season(I used Montreal steak and everything bagel)
Cast iron pan hot with oil
Slap each side in the hot pan
Place onto cold plate smeared with olive oil and place in fridge.
Pull when fully cool and slice thin with sharp knife.

Note: Next time I would slice the backstrap longways before hand to have two narrow pieces as it would make the final product smaller bite size pieces.

A fellow Rokslider was awesome enough to give me some Barbary Sheep and some red chili from New Mexico. Naturally I had to try the two together. It was delicious and very spicy (too much so for the crybaby wife and kids). The Aoudad turned out fall apart tender with zero gaminess. Now I’m determined to go to NM on a hunt. This is actually the first time I’ve been excited to do an out of state hunt.

Aoudad (AKA Barbary Sheep) Red Chili
Ingredients

1- 13 ounce aoudad hind quarter steak cubed and tossed in flour
  • 1 onion chopped
  • 2 cups carrots chopped
  • 3 cups New Mexico red chili sauce
  • 10 ounce can Ro-Tel
  • 6 ounce can tomato paste
  • 2 cups beef broth
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 2 teaspoons oregano
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 teaspoons corn starch
  • 3 teaspoons water
Directions
1- Mix all ingredients except for corn starch and water in slow cooker.
2- Turn slow cooker on to the low setting.
3- Set timer for 6 hours.
4- When 2 hours remain, mix cornstarch and water. Stir into other ingredients.
5- Serve over mashed potatoes or rice.

Attachments

• 78670901-48CE-4175-8FD7-3CE97F741052.jpeg
    78670901-48CE-4175-8FD7-3CE97F741052.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 27
Never done the pastrami, but my hunting buddy has a recipe for corned goose breast that he uses cranberry juice in very good.

NEWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
One of my favorite things is smoked turkey pot pie. I take the whole bird to my local butcher and have it smoked, cut in half, and vac sealed.

The pie is pretty simple to make. The hardest part is getting the cream/sauce mixture right. It’s about a 4:1 ratio of chicken broth to half and half and then adding enough roux to get the right consistency. Season the sauce with thyme and pepper. No need to add salt as the smoked turkey adds enough smoky/saltiness. After that add whatever combination of vegetables you like and bake in a pie crust. Each Tom makes about six pies.

4127037E-D4CD-4F34-A1C8-E2F5818EDA4E.jpeg38273614-CD3B-4BFB-AEF1-7A480628CCEE.jpegEBD1C6E7-89F9-4D8F-AACD-2673D2AAB4DE.jpeg

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
In mid 2021, my 17 year old son had the opportunity to hunt fallow deer for the first time here in Southeastern Australia. He was successful taking a young doe and buck which are both great eating animals. He did a lot of the breakdown and cut a lot of meat off the frames once we got home. We had about 9kg of venison in various offcuts, though ideally we should have had 10kg of venison to the other ingredients. I added 2kg of pork shoulder, and 2kg of pork fat. I ran all the meat through the cheap electric grinder we have using the coarsest cutting disk. It worked very well, and beat the hell out of the old hand grinder I used to use.

After passing all the ingredients through the grinder, I used a small food processor to mix a few table spoon fulls each of rock salt. black pepper, smoked paprika, fresh rosemary and fresh coriander. I just ran it in the food processor until it was mixed to a paste. I added that to a basin full of the ground meat, poured in 500ml of red wine, and mixed the meat and other ingredients together thoroughly by hand.

I then ran the mixture through the grinder a second time to help incorporate all the ingredients. I used the same course disk, and feel like that gives a good texture to the finished product. We then used a sausage stuffer and some 28mm pig casings to make the finished product.

They tasted good to me, and also got the tick of approval from the son. So pretty happy with the result.

unnamed-26.jpg

Looks and sound delicious. I got to spend a little time in WA. I’d love to go back and see more of the country.

Best thing I have made with deer so far:

Tuna of the swamp(or tuna of the woods, mountain, prairie etc… choose your own title that fits)

Trim backstrap nice nice, no fat or silver skin or sinew of course.
Freeze backstrap for 2 days if you are concenrned
Defrost but keep it cold(straight out of fridge).
Dab it dry with paper towel
Season(I used Montreal steak and everything bagel)
Cast iron pan hot with oil
Slap each side in the hot pan
Place onto cold plate smeared with olive oil and place in fridge.
Pull when fully cool and slice thin with sharp knife.

Note: Next time I would slice the backstrap longways before hand to have two narrow pieces as it would make the final product smaller bite size pieces.
this sounds amazing. I keep my backstraps whole as well but reverse sear them. I will have to give this a try

Reactions: pk_
OP
RockinRam96
Venison Pot Roast. AMAZING!

This was maybe a 2 lb roast. The recipe I had calls for a 3-5 lb roast, but for my girlfriend and I that’s just to much. Recipe calls to pressure cook for 60 minutes, which is way to long. I cooked this at 45 minutes, which made the meat a little to well done. Next time I’ll try 30-35 minutes and see where it goes.

IMG_9062.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venison Pot Roast. AMAZING!

This was maybe a 2 lb roast. The recipe I had calls for a 3-5 lb roast, but for my girlfriend and I that’s just to much. Recipe calls to pressure cook for 60 minutes, which is way to long. I cooked this at 45 minutes, which made the meat a little to well done. Next time I’ll try 30-35 minutes and see where it goes.

View attachment 397406

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s making me hungry 🤤

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
xiaoxu425