Wiggys bags

Akshphntr

FNG
We literally fight over the wiggys bags. I take down for backpacking trips. But any other camping the wiggys is the most comfortable. The lame lite cushion and insulate from the ground and provide warmth all around. Try washing them. Dry in one cycle whereas my down bag tookm5 cycles.

wetzel

FNG
I really appreciate this post. It is refreshing to hear some real unbiased reviews of the wiggy's bags, so thanks for that everyone. On the web it seems like all you get are the polarized people who like to argue instead of just giving their two cents and accepting that other people are different from them and have different experiences, it seems to turn into a pissing match.

I had asked earlier about size comparisons to the military sleep system (MSS) and didn't get a response. I called Wiggy's and spoke directly with Jerry. He told me his system would be lighter, pack smaller, and be warmer. Sounds like an ultimate win so I went ahead and ordered a superlight and overbag in regular/wide. It got to me two days via FedEx.

Here are my observations:

-The wiggy's two bags packed are about 1/3 larger than the two military bags packed (I compressed them both as much as possible without damaging a stuff sack, the Wiggy's maybe even more as I so wanted a different result).
-The two Wiggy's bags together are 7lbs 10oz while the two military bags are 6lbs 6.9oz (this is subtracting the stuff sack weight).

I'll be honest here, at this point I was really discouraged with these numbers. It isn't a huge difference between the two, but it bothered me that so far everything I was told was wrong. I wondered if I had been swindled and what else I could believe. I am a firm believer in hearing the truth no matter how bad it is so I can make my own decisions and deal accordingly. I kept comparing the bags.

-The superlight's loft was 5" while the MSS's two bags combined was a little under 5".
-There is definitely more substance to the wiggy's insulation when you feel them side by side! I keep my MSS bags stored in a large sack to avoid compressing them when not necessary.

I have slept in the MSS with the two bags at 0 and could feel cold seeping through the bag on the top which is the main reason why I wanted the Wiggy's. I slept in the superlight bag alone at 25 degrees F and it was plenty warm. The two bags combined adds a ton of loft and compresses the inner superlight very lightly in a pleasant way around you. Unfortunately it hasn't been cold enough here to try the Superlight to zero or the two combined below zero. I have no clue how cold the two could take me comfortably (I am a cold sleeper), but I have confidence that the Superlight would get me comfortably to at least 15 degrees F, and the two together below zero. I think it could probably get me lower but that is even more speculation. Anyways info is always a good thing, so here is some that hopefully will help somebody.

Last edited:

kodiakfly

WKR
Good post. Those numbers are a bit disappointing when they were supposed to be less. What are the specs on the Superlight bag by itself without the over bag? Mainly weight and what it'll compress down to.

As far as warmth, I'd have to put the Wiggy's up against anything similarly rated. At Arctic Survival School they used Wiggy's and I spent the night on the ground, just under a tarp in -40 and baselayers and I was actually quite comfy.

wetzel

FNG
The superlight weighs 4lbs 13oz.
StuffedBags.jpg

Left to right: Northface solar flare -20 deg down bag, Superlight, both MSS bags

wapitibob

WKR
I need a cpl bags for the wife and I but after reading their sales guy's comments on 24hr, I wouldn't touch a wiggy bag. A real class act.

wetzel

FNG
I don't get all that stuff. I've read it and it really turns me off along with being misled. Though I will say that the bags seem top notch and with the sale price was a great deal.

I gotta say my Wiggy's bag works great & was exactly as advertised, but I was dealing with Marc at Wiggy's Alaska. He's an independent dealer.
Were I Wetzel I would not be a happy man.

huntography

Lil-Rokslider
I met with Jerry last year at his factory and I came home with a super light and Wiggy's queen sized comforter for home. Both have been fantastic.

I did however need to get a compression sack for the super light to help get it packed down more. Fits nicely in my Stone Glacier Terminus.

I slept in it all archery elk season down to about zero degrees and was never cold.

Could it be a couple pounds lighter, sure. But it's an amazing value and product for the money.

Love it.

Rudy

Just do a search on the kifaru forums. I found it after I got the bag. It took some digging but it is what it is. I still think it's a decent bag and will keep it either way

Been digging for an hour and a half, can't find the "actual" thread but find lot's of them mentioning it... Have a link?

8Crow

Lil-Rokslider
I did however need to get a compression sack for the super light to help get it packed down more. Fits nicely in my Stone Glacier Terminus.

Rudy, what size compression sack did you go with? I just ordered a Sea to Summit 10.5 x 23 but I'm not confident I'll get it in there. I think the stuff sack they sent with it (not compression) measures 17 x 23 or 17 x 26, something like that...

8Crow

Lil-Rokslider
As for Jerry, you don't really even need to dig through forums to see how he thinks and talks--it's on display in the newsletters on his website. I kinda feel sorry for him...to me he just comes off as bitter and angry and that's a shame--he's probably a pretty sharp guy with lots to offer. But his stuff works as advertised. I've tried out my 0 deg a couple times now and I'm completely satisfied. I'll be ordering some other stuff from them as my budget permits.

kodiakfly

WKR
I gotta say my Wiggy's bag works great & was exactly as advertised, but I was dealing with Marc at Wiggy's Alaska. He's an independent dealer.

I went and saw Marc last weekend and got one of his Glacier Hunter bags. I've not slept in it, but just initial impressions...I like it. 15*, 4.1 lbs (on a scale, with stuff sack), compresses into a 15L sack and the features he designed into it are nice. And mostly, I can get in it without feeling like a kielbasa.

I have no problem trading a wee bit of pack space and weight in exchange for a full nights sleep with no issues. For cold wet weather Wiggys rocks.

kodiakfly

WKR
I have no problem trading a wee bit of pack space and weight in exchange for a full nights sleep with no issues. For cold wet weather Wiggys rocks.

Agreed! Yeah, they're heavier and bigger than many, maybe most of the bags out there. But they're not the monsters they're often made out to be. You're right, it's a "wee" bit of pack. Yes, you can fill an XL Wiggy's stuff sack with a sub zero double bag, but a standard 15* bag is on the large side of "normal." They're bigger in a pack because they're a bigger bag with more material. Even their zippers are bigger. I think comparing square yard to square yard, Wiggys is very comparable to other bags. Looking at a BA bag that'll hold me at the same temp and suddenly you're within a few advertised ounces of a Wiggys.

And I'm not a Wiggy's fanboy. I own several MH bags and have a Sierra Designs bag that I actually like a lot other than I don't fit in it, so my wife uses it. I just appreciate Wiggys for how and where I use a sleeping bag most of the time.

8Crow

Lil-Rokslider
FWIW, anyone else trying to smash them down as much as possible, my 0 deg long/wide Wiggys fits in the Sea to Summit XL (10.5 x 23) compression sack just fine and I get the straps pulled down maybe around 1/3 of the way. It might even borderline fit in the next smallest bag but I'm not going to spend the money to find out.