Why the NR HATE?? Let's fix it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overdrive

WKR
I'm not a mathematician, but a 4% increase in resident participation in applying and a 36% increase in non-resident participation is very interesting.
Just keep in mind that the NR application increases started around the time CPW didn't make the applicant send in their money for the full license fee, just a $7 R or $9 NR application fee, then a qualifying license. It really hit species like Bighorn sheep, Mtn Goat and Moose the hardest with applicant participation.

Just keep in mind that the NR application increases started around the time CPW didn't make the applicant send in their money for the full license fee, just a $7 R or $9 NR application fee, then a qualifying license. It really hit species like Bighorn sheep, Mtn Goat and Moose the hardest with applicant participation.
Why sell tags, when you can sell lotto tickets AND tags?

Mojave

WKR
Not only the number but the demographics. How many in each age group. We are getting an increasing population but it is hard for me to believe there is a corresponding increase in decent paying career jobs. During my life I have seen a serious decline in resourse based jobs. It has appeared the numbers have increased in service type employment. How much of the increasing population is made up of retirement migrants?
This is the demographic in much of the mountain west. Think about how many folks have posted on this forum and others you frequent.

Military retirees that always liked living in Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, Utah, Alaska or Idaho. Now they get to pick where they live. This is mostly the base towns of Anchorage, Fairbanks, Cheyenne, Great Falls, Pheonix, Tucson.

Big city conservative who always wanted to live in the West or is moving back to their home state after retirement.

Big city liberal who is not fond of the way things turned out after voting liberal for 40 years and they move to Colorado or New Mexico and are gentrifying towns in Northern New Mexico or Colorado. Especially if they spent their entire life flying out to Vail or Taos to ski.

Retired Mormons that always wanted to live in a more Mormon area. Even some younger Mormon migrants from neighboring states, in hopes of greener pastures. Trading big city for the Rockies.

Western states like Oregon and Washington that are flooded with wierdos, people are escaping these hell holes too.

Everyone that lives in my parents 5 acre mini-farm neighborhood in Cheyenne is somewhere between 55 and 90. Mostly retired military, or big city fire and police.

Hnthrdr

WKR
AK is actually proof that what the OP is proposing can be done. Politicians continue to assign board members despite the average voter’s desire. Largely influenced by a lobby that in result is keeping the state wide open to NR. The trade off is that the same lobby is the group making sure the law stays in place that people need to buy a guide.

Would NR hunters rather have:
A. Unlimited tags, but required to hire a guide.
B. 90/10 draw and remove the guide requirement.

Be careful what you wish for.
I’d take my 10% chances and be able to afford a shot. At this rate by the time my kids are old enough for me to hunt out of state it will be wild to try and justify any trips to Alaska if a guide is required

Are “points only” apps counted as applications for a tag?

Hnthrdr

WKR
This is the demographic in much of the mountain west. Think about how many folks have posted on this forum and others you frequent.

Military retirees that always liked living in Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, Utah, Alaska or Idaho. Now they get to pick where they live. This is mostly the base towns of Anchorage, Fairbanks, Cheyenne, Great Falls, Pheonix, Tucson.

Big city conservative who always wanted to live in the West or is moving back to their home state after retirement.

Big city liberal who is not fond of the way things turned out after voting liberal for 40 years and they move to Colorado or New Mexico and are gentrifying towns in Northern New Mexico or Colorado. Especially if they spent their entire life flying out to Vail or Taos to ski.

Retired Mormons that always wanted to live in a more Mormon area. Even some younger Mormon migrants from neighboring states, in hopes of greener pastures. Trading big city for the Rockies.

Western states like Oregon and Washington that are flooded with wierdos, people are escaping these hell holes too.

Everyone that lives in my parents 5 acre mini-farm neighborhood in Cheyenne is somewhere between 55 and 90. Mostly retired military, or big city fire and police.
Fortunate to have a good career and a businesswoman wife and we bring in money that I couldn’t haven’t imagined just 10 years ago… I feel like we are comfortable, but not “crushing” it, most people who live in our town are 1 of 2 options, have lived there since the late 80’s early 90’s or Californians who came in with big money… starter homes in the golden area are 600k for a piece of junk, livable for about 850k and up… not many jobs pay enough for regular middle class folks to buy

kaboku68

WKR
Just remember that many times out of staters are competing for tags with out of staters and they get drawn for delta or Tok sheep and Alaskans fail to draw in their whole lifetimes because we are competing against all of the other Alaskans. We call it the Steve rinella effect. Steve has drawn all of the elite Alaska tags while most of us haven’t been that lucky. We see Cam Hanes or Remi Warren or somebody else special get drawn for miracle tags and people go hmmmm?

Overdrive

WKR
Are “points only” apps counted as applications for a tag?
I've never dug into it, but I'd assume they're not because the "points only" app code doesn't use any specific unit number(s) E-P-999-99-P and the only way to get a PP is to apply in Colorado. The only way it's going towards a tag is for those people that still think PP's are good for only a unit and not a species and keep putting in for a long shot draw unit to gain a PP, trust me they're still out there in this day and age.

Axlrod

WKR
Its more like what state game departments could stay open off only Resident application and tag fees only. Or not have to merge with parks and start looking of other non-hunting related revenue streams like parking passes and usage fees, which degrades the hunting voice at the table.
In Montana, all hunting and fishing license revenue goes into the general state fund. The state legislature passes a FWP budget that it deems sufficient to run that department. They do not get all the money they collect to run the FWP.

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve sorta been keeping this to myself because…manners I guess? But basically my theory is that residents aren’t very good hunters and then they get all butthurt when dudes from Texas and places like that show up and kill ‘their’ animals.
This is an unpopular opinion, but I share the same belief. In any state I've been the most friendly people I meet are killers themselves. The amount of looks and middle fingers I've gotten with washington plates while driving back home with a bull in the back is astounding. MT and ID seeming to be the worst. Surprisingly everyone I met in Utah last year was friendly as hell, and all seemed to not hold a grudge that I personally talked with.

sveltri

WKR
I can 100% say that coming from Colorado to KS or NE I wasn’t exactly welcomed with open arms. Yet western states take all the hate and blame from NR. I guess it’s a 2 way street.

S.Clancy

WKR
I’ve sorta been keeping this to myself because…manners I guess? But basically my theory is that residents aren’t very good hunters and then they get all butthurt when dudes from Texas and places like that show up and kill ‘their’ animals.
We don't all suck.

S.Clancy

WKR
Anyone have real data on the Western states allocations as they stand now- resident v nonresident?

Would be very curious to see state by state what the current allocation is in big game tags.

Montana is (it fluctuates a little every year) at ~ 85:15% R:NR

I thought montana was a up to 10 percent state?
Montana is an "up to" 10% state for draw tags, and that is only A tags (buck or bull) I believe. The general deer and elk combos + come home to hunt and other BS were passed by legislature. NR can and do pick up a whole piss load of B-tags. In one of the most recent years total NR hunting tags were something like 55-60K.

Archer86

WKR
This is an unpopular opinion, but I share the same belief. In any state I've been the most friendly people I meet are killers themselves. The amount of looks and middle fingers I've gotten with washington plates while driving back home with a bull in the back is astounding. MT and ID seeming to be the worst. Surprisingly everyone I met in Utah last year was friendly as hell, and all seemed to not hold a grudge that I personally talked with.
Its was probabaly more the washington plates causing you issues......hahahahah.

Status
Not open for further replies.