Why pay for a "custom" action?

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
Custom rifles and actions make a lot of sense for special applications…target shooters, competition, desire to run unique calibers or projectiles.

However, modern factory rifle options are very good for most shooters. A decent factory Model 70 is a consistent sub MOA rifle with good ammo.

That said, I had a rifle built on a Stiller and it is a well Made action…even if it ejects into the scope turret. lol.

Wrench

WKR
I thought this was the case before this thread but I did more reading because of it and it seems in some cases smiths will cut the tennon threads a little smaller/looser on a pre-fit if they don’t have action in hand to validate fit. The perception I have is once torqued, that shouldn’t make a notable difference in performance. Don’t know how true that is.

Would love to hear @LRI_Chad or @Shooter71 weigh in on how they’d cut tennon threads for action in hand vs not and if the approach is different based on the action.
Like chad said, class 3 stainless on stainless is flirting with disaster. We have used silver goop with good results.....but moving closer to a class 2 helps a bunch.

The little details like broken edges and no stress hangers are where it shines to have an actual machinist vs a gun plumber.

I hear lots of people talk about checking headspace and rocking on....but who checks bolt nose clearance? I am happier shooting a custom headspace than a fat gap in the web.