Why no love for Kuiu packs?

No doubt social media influences us, kuiu packs are like leupold scopes. Enough bad reviews on here to avoid both.

I think Leupold has overcome any negativity thru marketing and quality. I recently bought a Leupold rangefinder that is 10x the rangefinder than any Nikon or Bushnell finder I've owned. I had a Leupold VXll 4x12 on my 7 mag when I was a rifle hunter and wouldn't have even considered anything else

The New Pro suspension on the Kuiu is a MUCH improved design and for me personally made all the difference in the way the pack felt and rode with weight. Adjustable lumbar also was a great upgrade.
If you have a chance to try out a few different packs locally I’d go that route.

brsnow

WKR
I think Leupold has overcome any negativity thru marketing and quality. I recently bought a Leupold rangefinder that is 10x the rangefinder than any Nikon or Bushnell finder I've owned.

I think thread highlights that numerous people who own or owned kuiu packs really don’t have anything negative to say about it. The bad comments seemed to come from the influenced.

I’ve had a Kuiu Icon Pro for two years and have been very happy with it so far. I’ve been kicking around the idea of buying a Kifaru or Exo just to try something different. But that’s not because of any problems I’ve had with the Kuiu. It’s been a solid pack for me. I use it mainly for day hunts, and haven’t hauled a real heavy load. So I can’t speak to the comfort with a lot of weight.

I think thread highlights that numerous people who own or owned kuiu packs really don’t have anything negative to say about it. The bad comments seemed to come from the influenced.

Yeah thankfully I have a great pack and no reason to look elsewhere. Kinda like my great Bowtech SR6 and D350. Both made in America BTW and proud supporters of our military which is a good thing ;)

brsnow

WKR
Yeah thankfully I have a great pack and no reason to look elsewhere. Kinda like my great Bowtech SR6 and D350. Both made in America BTW and proud supporters of our military which is a good thing ;)

watch those limbs;-)

brsnow

WKR
Lol I have well over 50,000 shots on the D350. I use it as a crutch when crawling for mule deer in the desert high plains, so much that the ends of the limbs are wearing down slightly. And still killing stuff as recently as last September
So you can’t really believe everything you read...

Jellymon

FNG
I love mu Kuiu pack. I’ve had it for a few years. My 5500ci (icon pro suspension with ultra bag) only weighs 4lbs and carries elk and bears out very well. No hot spots and I don’t find myself adjusting all the time with a heavy load. I use the same pack for day hunts as well as 5 day trips. It can cinch down to practically nothing, and expand to fit anything I would want. The biggest complaint I hear about Kuiu is that it’s uncomfortable over 100lbs. Well, I wouldnt call a 100+ lb load comfortable with any pack. I like to keep my loads 80lbs or less if I’m going more than a few miles, and I’m very happy with my pack for that, no complaints.

Terrapin

WKR
I’ve got about 5 years on a Kuiu pack. I don’t remember it being super expensive. It fits me very well and carries as much weight as I want. I also have Mystery Ranch and Stone Glacier packs (both of which were fit to me at the factories). They don’t work for me nearly as well. Uncomfortable for hunting and nothing special packing meat. I also have an Eberlestock X2 that I use for whitetail. Not very comfortable to pack much weight, but comfortable to hunt in... and quiet. Honestly, (I’ll lose my Rokslide membership for this). After the first load out of the woods with meat, I switch to an external frame pack for the rest of the meat trips. It must be a 30 year old youth frame on which I replaced the suspension with a modern system... nothing carries weight better... better than my Barnies and BullPac. The point is, I have had to experiment for 30 plus years to find pack systems that work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
My plan is to do annual Elk trip where I generally do a week or two at basecamps and daypack out with the potential to overnight it if necessary. I would also like to use the pack for coues in AZ in wintertime. Budget while a consideration is not a limiting factor as I’d like to have the best most comfortable pack I can. I’ve dealt with lumbar issues for years from construction jobs when I was younger, so I’m probably not going to be one of those mountain beasts who haul 100-150#. I’ll be the guy hauling 80-100# and making extra trips.

I think you'll find that a lot of guys who claim to carry 150+ loads are full of it! I once carried 120 pounds 1/4 mile downhill and it damn near broke me! I have a scale in my truck so I know the exact weight. Granted, I'm not the strongest guy in the world but when you have 100+ pounds on your back it just plain sucks. I try not to ever go above 80 pounds in my pack, although I've stretched it to a little over 90 a few times when I didn't want to make an extra trip.

For what you are talking about doing I honestly think a Kuiu would work just fine for you. I'm 100% a Kifaru guy for a number of reasons: 100% made in the USA (Berry Compliant!), extremely durable gear, amazing warranty and customer service, resale value when you want to switch up to a new bag or frame, they have a sweet rhino logo, and I'm not gonna lie - I think Aron Snyder is a beast and I want to be just like him when I grow up (we are almost exactly the same age, but still)! You won't find many guys complaining about the way Kifaru carries a load but they ARE out there, just search this forum.

So, if it were me, for what you are doing, I would buy a Kifaru Ultralight Frame and a Stryker bag. That thing is a day-hunting machine and you can haul ground blinds with it (Ask Jordan Budd!). But I'm not you, so you should get what you think works best for you and not worry about what conventional internet wisdom says. You are 100% right, the choices we have in hunting gear and backpacks these days is incredible so a lot of folks end up suffering from Analysis Paralysis...don't let it happen to you!

chasewild

WKR
Bought the Gen 1 Icon in 2011, snapped the frame on a elk pack out vertically from tip to tail in 2014. I borrowed my buddies Kifaru to pack the rest of the bull out the next day. Night and day difference.

Aron S. loaned me a kifaru high camp to finish the season. Packed out a buck with it.

Kuiu sent me a new frame and suspension free of charge.

Packed out another bull the following year and my buddies cow. Serious pack envy developed as I watched my buddy not fatigue under the more weight than I was carrying.

Sold that pack and bought a Kifaru Hunter Frame with the Reckoning bag. I would seriously never buy another Kuiu pack. Stone Glacier, however, has my full attention.

notradame

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using the kuiu icon pro 3200 for the last 4 years. Been using it for my day pack, for packing in for 2 or 3 days and have used it to pack elk several times. I purchased it because it was lighter than most of the others. I can't say it's better than others because I haven't used any of the mystery ranch, kifaru, or etc. Most of the time I use it as a day pack carrying approx 15 to 25 lbs and I carry it around 60 days per year. It's the only pack that I have carried day in and day out that my shoulders don't bother me. When you get an animal down you can put a quarter between the frame and pack and it works reasonable well. Also had a small problem this past year with the pack. Wasn't anything that rendered the pack useless but was annoying. When I return home called kuiu and had new shoulder straps and hook ups in a few days. They didn't even ask me to return the original parts send pictures or nothing. Only thing they asked was if I needed it shipped over night. Don't know if this helps. Good luck with your decision.

cnelk

WKR
Anyone that used packs 25 years ago, Kuiu packs are a dream.

I really like my icon pro 1850 for my style of hunting. I’ve packed up to 90lbs in it with no issues.

A1AAD0C5-1C67-4C2A-AD1C-E42E867E6E4E.jpeg

OldGrayJB

WKR
Bought the Gen 1 Icon in 2011, snapped the frame on a elk pack out vertically from tip to tail in 2014. I borrowed my buddies Kifaru to pack the rest of the bull out the next day. Night and day difference.

Aron S. loaned me a kifaru high camp to finish the season. Packed out a buck with it.

Kuiu sent me a new frame and suspension free of charge.

Packed out another bull the following year and my buddies cow. Serious pack envy developed as I watched my buddy not fatigue under the more weight than I was carrying.

Sold that pack and bought a Kifaru Hunter Frame with the Reckoning bag. I would seriously never buy another Kuiu pack. Stone Glacier, however, has my full attention.
Wow. Most of the frame breaks seem to be at the top. By the load lifters.
I've also read some negative reviews about noise. Kuiu designed the hip belt to pivot so it moves with you. Probably makes them more comfortable but you have to keep it clean or it will squeak.
I almost bought a kuiu because of the price but there were too many negative reviews.

Beendare

WKR
My take;
I've got a few buddies with these Kuiu packs.

First they are an incredible low cost alternative if you aren't packing 100# + loads. You can find these on sale in the off season for 20% off regularly....no other pack company does that.

Second, they are a good fit for an average body size....but the extremes not as good. I have a long torso and an 6'4" and they just don't quite fit me as well as some others.

Kuiu has been refining these packs....their pack now is pretty good- assuming 80# loads or less.

One buddy had a older pack that squeaked- Kuiu fixed it for free.

Kuiu stands behind these- much better customer service than just 5 years ago.

________

chasewild

WKR
Wow. Most of the frame breaks seem to be at the top. By the load lifters.
I've also read some negative reviews about noise. Kuiu designed the hip belt to pivot so it moves with you. Probably makes them more comfortable but you have to keep it clean or it will squeak.
I almost bought a kuiu because of the price but there were too many negative reviews.

I forgot about the "squeak"! It drove me crazy. But I also look fondly back on those lessons I learned the hard way -- weird dichotomy of success after failure.