Why don’t the Kowa Genesis Binos get more love?

Highlands Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
The Kowa Genesis is incredible. I compared the Genesis 8.5x44 to the EL 8.5x42 and I found it difficult to tell a difference. For the price, I would probably take Kowa.
I compared the same Kowa binos to the Maven B6 10x50 and found the color of the Kowa to be better and even the ability to resolve detail seemed a bit better. Overall the Genesis seemed sharper. Oh also the depth of field was better on the Kowa.

JGRaider

WKR
"Kidney beaning" is simply an eye relief/placement issue. The Conquest HD is well known for it's terrible eyecup design which is why Zeiss will (at least they used to) send you a free pair of extended eyecups if you asked. IME this blackout "problem" is most prevalent in 8x32 class binos.

Fritz D

FNG
"Kidney beaning" is simply an eye relief/placement issue. The Conquest HD is well known for it's terrible eyecup design which is why Zeiss will (at least they used to) send you a free pair of extended eyecups if you asked. IME this blackout "problem" is most prevalent in 8x32 class binos.
Just received an SFL 8x30 and eye-placement is critical, to say the least? I like everything else but the eye placement issues are taking some getting used to?

ni7ne

FNG
Just received an SFL 8x30 and eye-placement is critical, to say the least? I like everything else but the eye placement issues are taking some getting used to?
Isn't...
objective diameter / magnification
... a rough indicator of how forgiving a given optic will be with eye placement? Exit pupil?
It's why 6x should be normalized on ultra-compact binos.
And why 8x44 and 8x50 are extra forgiving.

4th_point

WKR
Isn't...
objective diameter / magnification
... a rough indicator of how forgiving a given optic will be with eye placement? Exit pupil?
It's why 6x should be normalized on ultra-compact binos.
And why 8x44 and 8x50 are extra forgiving.
There's more to it than merely exit pupil. Eyecups and ability to achieve proper alignment contribute, as JGR posted earlier.

For example, I have a 10x25 and never get blackouts unless I try to intentionally. The exit is tiny.

Yet I was getting frequent blackouts with the Kowa 8x33.

I now have a CHD 8x32 and occasionally get a blackout using the standard eyecup but it's not been frequent enough to bother me. I have the extended cups as well but don't use them.

4th_point

WKR
Back to Kowas...

The 8x33 that I had did not seem very exceptional in use. However, every time I compared it side by side with my 8x42 SLC W B, I was really impressed. Other than the blackouts.

In low light the 33mm was right there with the 42mm, with my middle aged eyes. Even in timber with fading light. Only when it was near complete darkness was there a noticeable difference, which could matter to some people.

Regarding resolution, the 33mm was really good for seeing fine detail but the 42mm SLC was sometimes better. There were times when I could not identify something with the Kowa, but could with the SLC. I have better than 20/20 vision, corrected.

Some of the "wow" and ability to see fine detail with the W B might have been the contrast or color cast. The SLC image was stunning to my eyes, but the glare drove me crazy. That is another eye placement issue, to a certain extent.

Believe it or not, the 8x32 CHD has replaced my 8x42 SLC. I like the smaller overall size, and really enjoy the view. I may have gotten a really good sample but I compared it to several 30-42mm binocs including NL. The only ones with better resolution were the 8x42 NL and 8x40 SFL. The 32mm and 42mm NL had the worst glare of anything that I tried. Zeiss overall were excellent for glare. The 8x42 CHD having the least of any I looked through.

Fritz D

FNG
Been a few days now and I’ve spent a bit more time behind the 8x30 SFL-the eye placement problems have almost disappeared and I am quite happy with the ergos, the lack of mass(wow!) and the clarity of the optics. Looking forward to using these in the field when weight is an issue.