Why do rifle hunters use Camouflage ? The few times I’ve used a rifle I never wore camo of any kind.. seems silly.

huntnful

WKR
You have killed some slammer bucks with a rifle and camo none the less…. I don’t get the vibe that you shop at bass pro a lot though…
Haha I haven’t bought from bass pro in a LONG time. But I really don’t think the baseline clothing matters much at all. I really like my puffy layers though. I’d give up any clothing pieces before I gave up a puffy jacket. Also wear a lot of camo because that’s just what I have. I archery hunt also.

But when I see anyone that cares what other people wear, I already know what kind of person they are. And a successful one, is not what comes to mind first lol.

IdahoSwede

Lil-Rokslider
i wear it because in my experience looking cool is the most important factor in killing elk. Plus you might run into some ladies out there.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Haha I haven’t bought from bass pro in a LONG time. But I really don’t think the baseline clothing matters much at all. I really like my puffy layers though. I’d give up any clothing pieces before I gave up a puffy jacket. Also wear a lot of camo because that’s just what I have. I archery hunt also.

But when I see anyone that cares what other people wear, I already know what kind of person they are. And a successful one, is not what comes to mind first lol.
Same boat, I archery & rifle hunt and I wear what I have, solids, camo, mix and match. Sometimes I wear non hunting brands… gasp I meet all types on the mountain I just figure most guys are wearing what they have….

TaperPin

WKR
Today’s digital cameras are so good, and the right filter will make that camo POP.

Before social media I started wearing solids, but the guys all outfitted head to toe with mean as schitt name brand camo look so on point I’ve reconsidered a full camo outfit. Two dudes side by side, the grungy one with nice camo just looks more like a serious hunter.

Probably for the same reason native tribes would put fringe on their buckskins...

Was it, a) fashion, b) cosplaying sasquatch, c) a way for those who don't get it to out themselves by asking what it's for, or, d) to breakup their outline?

I can't speak much for moose or elk, but I guarantee you a mature mule deer buck can notice your outline - standing still - much more easily if you're in street clothes or anything that doesn't breakup your outline. At rifle distances. They'll pick you up with even slight movement, but they'll lock onto you if your outline isn't broken up. Blue colors are especially easy for them to spot. Young, dumb bucks and does it matters less with, but mature, old bucks? You're not going to get away with it.

The best camo is stillness, and no camo is magic, but breaking up your outline with patterns and colors that don't stand out does make a difference.

Marble

WKR
I have a variety of hunting clothes that I use for every species. Some solid, some camo. It matters with certain species, but not the ungulates very much. It's not something I've ever thought of too much. I've got better things to ponder.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Oregon

WKR
I wear camo fishing just in order to sneak up on the fish!
Well, I wear camo fishing because my waders and raincoat are used for duck hunting and I refuse to spend more money for "fishing" waders and rain gear.
Same with big game. I wear camo because that's what they sell. I live in Oregon. It will rain. I need rain gear. Rain gear is camo. My marsh grass camo has allowed me to kill quite a few elk!