Why Carry a Sidearm?

TheGDog

WKR
Now I pack on most hunts....9mm shield in BB country and a G20 in G bear country- both with hard cast loads.

RE: BB country - Quick question... So if just BB country 9mm should be enough?

Would you say a G26 is fine in those instances? I'm asking because I'm looking to get another pistol besides the P238 .380 that I can use when going into BB country, but want a lighter option then my Ruger 4" .357. Also really starting to like night sites now.

Been really going back and forth mentally tween G26, G27 and G29. The small form factor works great for dropping it into zippered pouch on my packs hipbelt. The purpose and rule is, if I drop my pack and step away from it, I xfer it into my pocket. And especially when deboning a critter.

So just trying to get a consensus here... so as long as I'm only going to be hunting local here to SoCal, in general, a 9 should do me well enough?

EDIT: So your shield... what barrel length is it?

Last edited:

FlyGuy

WKR
As stated earlier, I have a P365 that I am considering carrying in Sept. this is in CO.

Is there any reason to order Hardcast bullets or just stick with the Sig 365 115gr V-crown HP?

Worst case scenario is black bear trouble, but extremely unlikely. Just curios what others do.

You can’t cheat the mountain

j33

WKR
Always interesting reading the American perspective of side arms as hunting up in Canada side arms while hunting are illegal. Just bear spray for us up here when we’re out in grizz or cougar country don’t pack it anywhere else.

Downside of side arm is you likely won’t get a good shot off in time and may accidentally shoot others. I think the main benefit is if your buddy gets malled (or bear is far off) you will have time to scare the bear off with the gun, not a chance when it’s charging where bearspray you just need to get some mist around them.

Having said that if I had the chance I would definitely carry a side arm in grizz country if I was allowed, wouldn’t worry about it in cougar country.

Downside of side arm is you likely won’t get a good shot off in time and may accidentally shoot others. I think the main benefit is if your buddy gets malled (or bear is far off) you will have time to scare the bear off with the gun, not a chance when it’s charging where bearspray you just need to get some mist around them.

You know very little about firearms and it shows. Please try not to make assumptions regarding the abilities of others. My draw time from notice to 10 yard IPSC target strike is 1.2 seconds. And no, I would not be shooting any of my friends.

I suspect that I would be able to get a much better shot off than your spray. When was the last time you actually practiced with your "spray"?

j33

WKR
You know very little about firearms and it shows. Please try not to make assumptions regarding the abilities of others. My draw time from notice to 10 yard IPSC target strike is 1.2 seconds. And no, I would not be shooting any of my friends.

I suspect that I would be able to get a much better shot off than your spray. When was the last time you actually practiced with your "spray"?

You’re clearly are an exception as you are well trained in a side arm, most aren’t trained like you so good for you. I only practice bear spray once a year, operation is easy and waist belt placement is crucial. In 1.2 seconds a grizzly can cover 60ft, that’s if you notice it...

Don’t want to sound like a dink but carrying a firearm (or bearspray) gives people macho confidence in grizzly country. The sobering thing about bearspray is my effective range (from practice) is 10ft.... scary

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
Any opinions on the best side arm for archery backpack elk hunting? Never owned a pistol. Not wanting to break the bank.
It might not be the best all-rounder, but an RIA M200 might do for what you need. It's not super light or particularly pretty, but it's durable, reliable, and cheap. Pre-Covid prices hovered right around $200, and 6 rounds of +P would be fine unless you're dealing with the big bears. Carry a couple spare light-for-caliber HPs and you'll be covered for grouse too.

Beendare

WKR
RE: BB country - Quick question... So if just BB country 9mm should be enough?

Would you say a G26 is fine in those instances? I'm asking because I'm looking to get another pistol besides the P238 .380 that I can use when going into BB country, but want a lighter option then my Ruger 4" .357. Also really starting to like night sites now.

Been really going back and forth mentally tween G26, G27 and G29. The small form factor works great for dropping it into zippered pouch on my packs hipbelt. The purpose and rule is, if I drop my pack and step away from it, I xfer it into my pocket. And especially when deboning a critter.

So just trying to get a consensus here... so as long as I'm only going to be hunting local here to SoCal, in general, a 9 should do me well enough?

EDIT: So your shield... what barrel length is it?
Sorry, just saw this.
In my opinion, the hardcast ammo is a game changer thus I have no qualms about using a smaller compact 9mm in blackie country. Im really not too worried about them But a well placed 9mm HC should do the trick.

If you ever see one up close, those Brown bears are a whole different ballgame....some are VW Beetles with fur....big solid animals. I want the added horsepower of the 10mm or more with those giant bears.....but really like the controlled low recoil accuracy and multiple shot opportunity of the G20sf Over my .44 revolver.

I think the shield barrel is 3 1/2” or so

Beendare

WKR

Great post ^

Practice makes a difference. i typically go through a couple cases of ammo every summer draw and shoot. Then:

Its so easy to practice draw and shoot with the lazer bullets and target systems you can use in your home. I cant even tell you how many rounds—-err lasers- each of my mounts have taken.

Or a guy can practice with dry fire exercises....just concentrate on where that front sight ends up on the trigger pull.

Both are a cheap way to get 1,000 trigger pulls.

Last edited:

Fallow120

FNG
I carry a S&W 9mm shield with Buffalo bore hard cast 147gr bullets on every hunt in Idaho. I’ve had 2 family members attacked by bears and lions. Luckily one person in our family was carrying each time. Now I carry my own so I don’t rely on others, especially in some of the deeper country when we go off to hike a ridge alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cured_ham

WKR
I got rushed by two pitbulls walking back from my tree stand this past weekend. I was very happy to have my sidearm. My bow was not gonna help me at all. I had always considered carrying while hunting a little unnecessary, needless to say I no longer feel that way.

TheGDog

WKR
I got rushed by two pitbulls walking back from my tree stand this past weekend. I was very happy to have my sidearm. My bow was not gonna help me at all. I had always considered carrying while hunting a little unnecessary, needless to say I no longer feel that way.
Dogs don't freak me out. I'll kick the dog-shit out of a dog. 2 starts to become a cautious thing, gotta fully commit to taking out whichever one engages first, decisively, in order to make sure you're attention doesn't become divided. 3 or more? Definitely would prefer some weapon help cause then they start getting crafty with the tag-team action.

Fatcamp

WKR
Dogs don't freak me out. I'll kick the dog-shit out of a dog. 2 starts to become a cautious thing, gotta fully commit to taking out whichever one engages first, decisively, in order to make sure you're attention doesn't become divided. 3 or more? Definitely would prefer some weapon help cause then they start getting crafty with the tag-team action.

Ya. Damn dogs run in groups and are tough to deal with.

Beendare

WKR
Ya. Damn dogs run in groups and are tough to deal with.
Exactly, we arent talking pet cocker spaniels here....Ive seen some of those ranch dogs loose chasing game through the woods and they are no joke.

We used to run some pit bulls for hogs...Butch was an 80# beast that once latched on to the snout of a hog you could hear the bones breaking.

——-

TheGDog

WKR
I'm just used to 'em charging at us because I have the "Little one", and she's like smaller than most Squirrels. I don't know how many times I've had to pin dogs down to the ground by their necks because they came in hot-and-heavy in a BeeLine to our little Mancha. Even big ol' Akitas and such. Huskies are some of the worst offenders, them and the various Herding breeds too.

BTW if a dog has your hands in their mouth in a bite... just keep trying to shove your hand down into their throat. Doesn't matter what breeds it is, if you can successfully jam it further in to the point of invoking gagging, they WILL let go. Ya can't always do that, like when they've punctured into ya a lil bit. Ya might have to wait until they attempt a re-grip. (Note while waiting be sure to grab around their mandible so they can't Rag-Doll with ya) IF that's the case another technique that sometimes works is to jam your hand up and under their mandible with the intent of inflicting pain onto and pinching off their throat right there so pain+no air.

Kinda reminds about an interesting story about a gentleman that was snorkeling in a lake, near his boat, somewhere like Florida or wherever... and a Gator surprised him. But... the piece of luck that saved him was that during the lunge-in by the Gator... apparently because of the angle he came at him from, the dudes arm had gone in far enough into it's mouth, throat that his appendage jammed-open that flap they have which closes-off their airway when they open their mouths underwater.. so in the Gators attempt at pulling him down for a deathroll, it had to let go because it was taking in water and choking.

EDIT: Makes sense that you'd hear some breaking bones if they caught on the snout. All those thin sinus bones would break like twigs I'd have to imagine.

cured_ham

WKR
Me either. I never carried because of a dog, but because of a dog, I am glad that I carried.